Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
These look great vans. They're mainly newer models from the last two years. Does anyone have any recommendations of older vans (say 2006-2010) that have passed the test of time and are obviously cheaper. We don't go a bundle on luxury but keen on winterisation and fixed bed.
Thanks

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
By fixed bed I mean we can leave it fixed down.
ie at the back
I worry that a panel van would be too cold at the back in sub zero temps.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Not with diesel heating and brilliant insulation it won't.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Getting goggle eyes from watching so many YouTubes looking for the perfect van for us then realised I haven't asked you guys. Maybe you have some suggestions.
Our wants:
Low line, can't have an over cab bed. And prefer storage space.
Fixed transverse (or otherwise) bed. If it can come up then fine but we would mostly leave it down. This bed can't really have steps up to it as I am accident prone and husband has Parkinson's. Not badly so far but we are looking to the future and need to avoid potential hazards. Outdoor steps are ok as we are wide awake then and always hold the rail going in and out.
Would like LHD and LPG.
Would love a garage where our bicycles can go but understand that usually means a high bed which we can't have. Don't mind strapping them on the back too.much.
Quite a decent kitchen re storage space would be appreciated but don't need oven or microwave as I do all the cooking on an iron skillet on the hob. Decent size fridge would also be appreciated being vegan I store lots of fresh veg.
Reason for going small is for narrow roads so not too wide either.
Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

The only PVC I can think of with a low transverse fixed bed would be the Carthago Malibu 600 DB2 Low. It is in their 2014/15 catalogue I picked up at the NEC. That might be the year that this low bed option was launched in the UK. Finding a used one could be tricky and you might need to try looking in Germany.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Yes very happy to look in Germany and get a German van. We won't be able to afford a newish van though. Unless it was a budget range to start with

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Yes very happy to look in Germany and get a German van. We won't be able to afford a newish van though. Unless it was a budget range to start with
After spending a lot of time on the German autobahns (and elswhere in Germany) and being passed by many German Moho's being thrashed to warp factor 10, I have vowed never ever to buy a second hand German used motor home.

juwlz

Free Member
Sep 30, 2008
Berkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Just a thought, given the limited length: As others have said, a fixed bed won't leave much room for much else, so would two single beds work for you? They will be easier to get in and out of than a transverse double.

If so, you can expand your possibilities to consider a rear lounge with parallel 6' bench seats, where you only have to lay a sleeping bag or sheet and duvet plus pillow on top to "convert" to a bed, and you get the benefit of being able to use the space to live, lounge and eat in during the day too. (And a single bench seat will be more comfortable to sleep on than multiple cushions converted into a bed.)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back