Family holiday in France review and views (1 Viewer)

Jules Norton

Free Member
Jul 11, 2016
Maidstone
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet!
Exp
Hi all long time lurker first time poster.

Bit of back ground, we are a family of 4, 2 boys of 9 and 11.
We were going to have a loft conversion but opted to buy a motorhome and go on holiday instead! We've got an Autotrail Apache 700, we did lots of research before buying and read lots of posts etc about layout being key and not getting it right until the 3rd van but fingers crossed we've got it right time time will tell I suppose.

We got the van last august and have used it every month for at least a weekend away, 33 nights in it last year and up to 38 so far this year, not bad I think.

Anyway the trip.

Having been told France is THE PLACE we decided that should be our first foray into Europe.

We booked a campsite for 10 nights down beyond Bordeaux, we wanted to guarantee the weather which to a certain extent we did, and gave ourselves 2 days to get there and 2 days to get back.

First impressions is that France is MASSIVE. As we hail from Kent we went via Calais on the ferry, wife doesn't like the tunnel but I'm working on her.
So first night we ended up on an Aire in a village called Marboue right next to a park the obligatory bakers at the end of the road. €2 to fill with water and we were set. Having read on here that they do like to squeeze in on aires I was prepared for the tightness of the parking, but no issue, just don't expect caravan club spacing.
It felt safe though so all good.

We then moved on to Arcachon and parked up next to some other MHs in a layby near the beach not sure how legal that was but everyone else was there for the night it was free, not our main criteria but it helps! again felt safe.

We then moved on to our campsite by the side of Lac Leon which was nice, massive site and I understand why people aren't keen on big sites but it was fine for us. Paid extra for pitch by the lake which meant the kids could play in the lake in view. Lovely safe lake which was shallow up to about 200m away.

The return.

Stayed on an Aire in a town called Bayonne, this one was free! Plenty of other MHs
there, right next to river.

Then on to Gravelines via a closer view of Paris than I would of liked! I know we all complain about the M25 but I'd have liked it if Paris had something similar.
€7 for the night.
Plenty of others there but this is where we had our only issue.

Other than the migrants at Calais wine superstore sniffing round the van, luckily I had left the wife and kids inside and they had locked themselves in. I don't particularly have an issue with the migrants, they are obviously desperate to get here. I don't know what the answer is but that's a debate for other people to have.

Back to Gravelines, went out for a nice meal in the square came back went to bed all was ok. Got up in the morning to turn gas off and do a general check etc and noticed that my bike seat had been stolen, bugger. All the way through France with no issues mechanical, driving or otherwise and some little bugger nicks my seat on the last night. Soiled our memory of Gravelines but at least the bikes were locked on and a reminder to myself and others. We know it happened there because my wife heard something in the night but wasn't awake enough if you know what I mean.

In conclusion a successful trip.

We had joined France Passion and had expected to use them on the way down and back but found the Aires perfect for our needs. We may do a trip later in the year using FP but found we didn't need them this time.
We have spoken about doing a whole trip on Aires etc but seeing this was our first time we thought we needed to 'head' somewhere.

Although this is my first post I have used this site a lot and any questions I've had have always been answered, so thanks for that.

Thanks for reading, if it's in the wrong place feel free to move it.

Kind regards

George.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Glad your first 'proper' trip was a success.
Just a shame it was slightly marred by the theft at Gravelines, an aire we like a lot. I think there have been a couple of bike thefts there recently.
Lots of people remove the bike saddle when they are on the rear carrier, presumably to make it more difficult for thieves to ride off after stealing the bike. Sounds like they had nicked one of those earlier and just wanted a saddle to fit it.
I'm sure it won't put you off France or aires.

Richard.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Nice write up, too m any miles per day for me, but your needs must I recognise that

Maybe the saddle removal is another fairly simple anti theft deterrent, at least of the seat at least o_O

Aires are excellent in our opinion, plus a balance of sites for recovery from travelling every day :)(y)

looking forward to your next trip report (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
J

Jules Norton

Free Member
Jul 11, 2016
Maidstone
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet!
Exp
Yes it was a success, just a shame to end like that, not a biggie but more annoying. I think I just got blasé. I'll remove next time, more annoying was losing the tools in the saddle bag that had been built up over the years. However it is an excuse to go bike part shopping.

Kind regards

George.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Nice review, think you will find you like France passion , we have used it for about five years now, on and off, we always get the book but then ,as you have found find easier to just stop at an aire when one crops up , but fp gets you in to real France if you can find them(n) it is easier now they have co ords but it used to be a night mare.
Sorry to read of your gravelines experience, we love it there, and very rarely see anyone about and think it was maybe someone out of another van.
Anyway good trip , one of many hopefully.(y)(y)

OP
OP
J

Jules Norton

Free Member
Jul 11, 2016
Maidstone
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet!
Exp
Hi Chaser,

Thanks for your comments I hadn't considered it was someone out of another van, but your right there was no one about.

Any France Passions you could recommend within an hour or 2 of Calais so we could try it before our membership runs out.

Kind regards.

George.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
My partner and l have taken many many tours of France and our favourite comment repeated time and time again is, "bloody big country isn't it!". So much to see and the camper friendliest country l should think in Europe. So pleased that your trip was such a wonderful experience.. may you have many many more.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Hi Chaser,

Thanks for your comments I hadn't considered it was someone out of another van, but your right there was no one about.

Any France Passions you could recommend within an hour or 2 of Calais so we could try it before our membership runs out.

Kind regards.

George.
There are loads , never found a bad one , but I don't think you will run out yet , think it runs March to March whenever you get it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back