External fridge fans (1 Viewer)

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Hi all
I know this subject has been covered before... but my query is not how effective they are but the positioning of the fans
I had a twin set up in the top of my caravan fridge sensing the air temp and extracting hot air straight out top vent which worked very well....
However I notice that the proprietary Dometic or Truma ones are fitted lower down the back of fridge and blows the air up thru the condenser and has a sensor directly on pipework and therefore sensing refrigerant as opposed to air temp.
Do any of you have experience off both setups and if so would you consider the second setup any better or are they both pretty much same same.
Thnx

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hi all
I know this subject has been covered before... but my query is not how effective they are but the positioning of the fans
I had a twin set up in the top of my caravan fridge sensing the air temp and extracting hot air straight out top vent which worked very well....
However I notice that the proprietary Dometic or Truma ones are fitted lower down the back of fridge and blows the air up thru the condenser and has a sensor directly on pipework and therefore sensing refrigerant as opposed to air temp.
Do any of you have experience off both setups and if so would you consider the second setup any better or are they both pretty much same same.
Thnx
A sensor on the refrigerant would be better, which I guess this is why they use this method,. It will also be easier to design a universal kit which doesn't have to interface with the MH as installations vary so much.

But the bottom line will be if the fans are moving air over the condenser they will work, whether sucked or blown. 😀

OP
OP
poppycamper
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Thanx DBK.. yea I was thinking more of sensor positioning as apossed to fan position.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: DBK

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
I fitted 3 fans on the top vent at the start of CV19 and have a switch inside the van for off/on. You cannot hear or feel the fans so I will have to think about how to know if the fans are being powered.
To test, the van was sitting in the direct sunlight last week with temperatures over 30 (normally would be shaded by awning) and the fridge was as cold as required over 3 days (glass of water left in fridge and checked circa 1700hr). Quite happy to switch the fans on full-time when I cross the Loire.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Computer type fans are more efficient extracting air rather than blowing. I fit my fans to the top grill with the sensor mounted on a strip of aluminium between the fans. The Domectic ones are not that good and very expensive for what they are, a couple of fans mounted on the top grill with a temperature controller works far better. With a temperature controller you can set it up for your individual fridge installation I set mine so the fans come on when the ambient temperature is 25 deg, in my case to do this the controller is set to 32 deg (last van it was 35 deg for the same result).

OP
OP
poppycamper
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Thanx for replies... looks like a fan or two or three in top vent then. As stated originally that is set up I had in last c'van.
Just found it strange that Dometic fit a single fan where they do.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
You don't want too much extraction, the absorption fridges use heat to drive the system. In compressor systems it's called 'over condensing' and some systems drop the condenser fan out periodically in the winter, to keep the head pressure up.

My sensor is stuck in the condenser fins, it's more efficient to measure refrigerant temperature and the fans will switch off when not needed.

Jan 27, 2014
Oakham, Rutland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I fitted 2 fans to the upper vent to extract warm air, I also fitted 1 fan drawing air in through the bottom vent these are attached to a temp. Controlled switch inside the van, this has a sensor sited in the back of the fridge. The setup works a treat and thanks to eBay the total cost of the job was under £20.00

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
I got a thermostatic temperature box from China. Adjustable setting for cut and cut out temp on a digital display and a reading showing present temp.
Box measured 3 inches by 3 inches and 1 inch deep. I put it into a Tupperware type box and wired it via a small rocker switch fed from a fridge feed inside the outside van access panels.
2 computer fans mounted in top vent blowing out.
Worked trouble free for 6 year
That was before these fan kits were around.
Worked in 32 degree Greek weather.
Mitch.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Had 2, scavenged from a couple of scrapped computers, in the Winnebago, rigged in the top under the vent roof cover. Switched manually. Helped with Temperatures of 100+F in a Texan Summer. (y) As we ran for cooler climes! in Colorado.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
can a few folk show a photo of your diy fan installs as I'm looking to fit a couple on mine. Don't think I'll bother with a temp gauge just an illuminated on off switch.

But a pic of how fitted would be handy ...my hymer has the larger upper fridge vent

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Screenshot_20170427-144803.png

If you don't fit them on the louvre you can remove it for even more ventilation (if thermostatically controlled they will run less😎)

NorthernSands

Free Member
Jun 25, 2019
North Notts
Funster No
MH
Hymer E700
Exp
Since 2016
I have two, slim Akasa fans to fit (had to be slim as there's not a lot of space between the fins and the vent) along with a temperature controlled switch and a temperature based PWM fan controller. In theory it should be fit and forget. There's a 12v feed and a broken fan already there. There's a dedicated switch on the fridge panel.

Brockley

Free Member
Dec 13, 2019
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Chausson 630 + mods!
Exp
Since 2006
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Go for the "Normal open" 45°c version.

Extremely simple to wire up. Take a positive 12v supply from somewhere, run it through a fuse and on/off switch if you want, then connect it to one of the component pins (doesn't matter which) then from the other pin to the fan positive wire, then wire fan negative to chassis ground.

Stick or bolt the component onto the last condenser fin on the left ie the cool end. 👍

Mine fans are on an electronic thermostat I made, but I have used these mini thermostat things before and they work spot on.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back