External BBQ (1 Viewer)

Feb 13, 2024
Funster No
MH
Looking
Hi,
I'm sure this has me been asked before and I just can't find it.
I have a camping gaz grill, to connect to the external gas point is it just a case of buying the right adapter? Anything else to be aware of?
Thanks

1000021043.jpg

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
We JUST swapped from a excellent Weber to an excellent Cadac system.

Reason was simply locker space, the Weber Q BBQ we had takes 4 times the volume as the cadac in the external locker, but crucially could only come "out" of the locker via the inside access. Where the Cadac is small enough to go out the actual locker as "nature" intends making it far more convienient with less lifting needed.

I never wanted a Cadac, one weekend with the new grill and we are converted, it's perfect size for 2, and has far more convient options for bacon and egg, and breakfast cooking as a whole then the Weber -> and the wife also delclared it "easier to clean" not that the Weber needed much of that anyhow.

We're keeping the Weber for home use (where it came from originally) now with an external bottle of gas.

Ref: the Bullfinch connector, bear in mind they are a PIG to connect to BBQ's, would reccomend using the Cadac quick fit connector so once you have a 3m flex with Bullfince one end and quick connect other, they can be used with multiple appliance by just fitting a Quick connect connector.

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Oh should add for my Weber putting the bullfinch on was just a brass quickfit connector for the Weber end to connect to my Bullfinch -> quickfit 3m gas pipe. Do check the pressures as the pressure on motorhomes can be lower than bbq's want and you may need to change the outlet of the cooking device to accomodate, the manual for my Cadac was clear I didn't need to do that (same with Weber).

Regulators (LPG) typically deliver LPG at a 39 pressure, where motorhomes use 30 ... So thats why you may need to check manual of your gaz grill to check if they require a larger "hole" in the nozzle.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Regulators (LPG) typically deliver LPG at a 39 pressure, where motorhomes use 30 ... So thats why you may need to check manual of your gaz grill to check if they require a larger "hole" in the nozzle.
I've found it doesn't really matter that much in reality, so long as the appliance rating is higher than the MH (probably wouldn't be a good idea to try it the other way around!) We've been running our Ooni off the MH BBQ point for a few years now with no issues: the Ooni requires propane at 37mbar so it probably takes a bit longer to get to temperature and/or has a lower max temperature running off the MH BBQ point than it does running it off the gas bottle at home, but not enough to make a noticeable difference.

Ref: the Bullfinch connector, bear in mind they are a PIG to connect to BBQ's, would reccomend using the Cadac quick fit connector so once you have a 3m flex with Bullfince one end and quick connect other, they can be used with multiple appliance by just fitting a Quick connect connector.

Soften the end of the gas pipe in boiling water to get it over the Bullfinch fitting - makes a huge difference. We use a similar system to you: 1 length of pipe with the BBQ point attachment at one and a quick release at the other, and the other side of the quick release on the appliance pigtail: means we can swap between Cadac and Ooni without having to buy extra BBQ point attachments.

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Soften the end of the gas pipe in boiling water to get it over the Bullfinch fitting - makes a huge difference. We use a similar system to you: 1 length of pipe with the BBQ point attachment at one and a quick release at the other, and the other side of the quick release on the appliance pigtail: means we can swap between Cadac and Ooni without having to buy extra BBQ point attachments.
It was more the quickconnect mating that was difficult, we used the boiling water trick for the bullfinch fine! But we after a few hours of softening the pipe finally got the quickconnect mating end in succesfully and used a stainless steel hoseclamp on both ends (8-10mm works a treat). Checked for leaks with washing up liquid, none found, so works a trick.

Ref: Ooni, we annoyingly have the woodchip one, which obvioulsy isn't accepted on many campsites. To be honest taking that would take up a good degree of locker space so have a cadac stone now for pizza making -> wife haggled them pretty hard at the campout fesitval this weekeend, and got a cadac with near all "optional" accessories for £140 or therabouts, which was a right bargain given the prices for even the stone and the other cooking equipment online. (we have the paella pan,pizza stone, as well as the standard frying dish, bbq top and hotplate.

That said we are switching to using quickconnect everywhere (even at home) as now having used it in van it's so convienient to have on any gas appliance. Switching our home regulator to appliance cable to quickconnect too, allowing all appliance in all places.

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
It was more the quickconnect mating that was difficult, we used the boiling water trick for the bullfinch fine! But we after a few hours of softening the pipe finally got the quickconnect mating end in succesfully and used a stainless steel hoseclamp on both ends (8-10mm works a treat). Checked for leaks with washing up liquid, none found, so works a trick.

Ref: Ooni, we annoyingly have the woodchip one, which obvioulsy isn't accepted on many campsites. To be honest taking that would take up a good degree of locker space so have a cadac stone now for pizza making -> wife haggled them pretty hard at the campout fesitval this weekeend, and got a cadac with near all "optional" accessories for £140 or therabouts, which was a right bargain given the prices for even the stone and the other cooking equipment online. (we have the paella pan,pizza stone, as well as the standard frying dish, bbq top and hotplate.

That said we are switching to using quickconnect everywhere (even at home) as now having used it in van it's so convienient to have on any gas appliance. Switching our home regulator to appliance cable to quickconnect too, allowing all appliance in all places.
Yep those quick connects are great.......a tad fiddly to set everything up, but worth it.

I'm glad we went for the convenience of the gas Ooni: we use it year round rain or shine in the garden, not sure we'd be bothered if we had to faff around with wood pellets ;) But even with the legs folded it does take up a fair bit of locker space, and then you've got the rest of the paraphernalia too (peels etc) - so we tend to only take it on weekends in the UK, it stays at home when we go abroad....need the storage space for wine :LOL:

We've not bothered with the pizza stone for the Cadac: we only have the Safari Chef, so it'd be a bit too small really. We tend to mostly use the paella pan (very easy to clean) and the BBQ plate (a pig to clean).

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
We've not bothered with the pizza stone for the Cadac: we only have the Safari Chef, so it'd be a bit too small really. We tend to mostly use the paella pan (very easy to clean) and the BBQ plate (a pig to clean).
We tested the cleaning on our friends 2 year old BBQ plate before we purchased, and found it was an easy soak.

We have a resonably large sink in our Bailey, large enough for the pans (and a bowl to fit the sink). So we can soak trivially the Cadac stuff by filling the bowl and placing outside with the dirty stuff in (then empty it in some bushes to avoid it going into tank). It's why we didn't buy the larger model as in reality a Safari chef is plenty for 2-4 people if you keep it going. It's nuts people buy a special soak pan for this, but I know some motorhome sinks are tiny in comparison.

We also fill the bottom part of the grill with a little water, makes a huge difference to cleaning (and our friend didn't know this trick).

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Soften the end of the gas pipe in boiling water to get it over the Bullfinch fitting
Used that method many time before for pvc/plastic type tubing..
Did not however think it would work on rubber gas hose... Will certainly give it a try next time

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
and the BBQ plate (a pig to clean).
The secret to cleaning them is to wipe with kitchen paper whilst still hot, or reheat if you want to eat immediately..and then wipe with paper dipped in oil
DO NOT wash in hot soapy water, it removes the non stick coating.
We use this method for all non stick kitchen ware... frying pans, oven trays, wok and Ninja air fryer etc..

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
The secret to cleaning them is to wipe with kitchen paper whilst still hot, or reheat if you want to eat immediately..and then wipe with paper dipped in oil
We use this method for all non stick kitchen ware... frying pans, oven trays, wok and Ninja air fryer etc..
Agree on non stick coating, but we have some weber stuff to reapply ....

This is very good on ALL BBQ brands, can reccomend it, you can mist it on with the spray, or we typoically spray to a piece of kitchen roll and wipe it on before putting meat on.

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
We tested the cleaning on our friends 2 year old BBQ plate before we purchased, and found it was an easy soak.

We have a resonably large sink in our Bailey, large enough for the pans (and a bowl to fit the sink). So we can soak trivially the Cadac stuff by filling the bowl and placing outside with the dirty stuff in (then empty it in some bushes to avoid it going into tank). It's why we didn't buy the larger model as in reality a Safari chef is plenty for 2-4 people if you keep it going. It's nuts people buy a special soak pan for this, but I know some motorhome sinks are tiny in comparison.

We also fill the bottom part of the grill with a little water, makes a huge difference to cleaning (and our friend didn't know this trick).
We have a large sink too but I'm not soaking the grill in it, and none of our washing up bowls are big enough for it to lay flat. So we tend to just put it in a plastic bag until the next time we're on a campsite and use their sinks.

Ours was fine for the first few years, but its 7 years old now and the burnt on bits are pretty stubborn, wiping doesn't do the job any more ;)

The only disadvantage we've found of the Safari Chef is that its so low down - but these Outwell tables are the perfect size to stand it on.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Ours was fine for the first few years, but its 7 years old now and the burnt on bits are pretty stubborn, wiping doesn't do the job any more ;)
Yep know what you mean... catch22... bit sticks, resort to washing to get bit off..along with coating.. and then downhill slope to a totally non stick grill that can only be cleaned by hot water and brilliant pad🤣🤣.

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Yep know what you mean... catch22... bit sticks, resort to washing to get bit off..along with coating.. and then downhill slope to a totally non stick grill that can only be cleaned by hot water and brilliant pad🤣🤣.
Actually the non-stick coating underneath is perfectly intact (we never use scourers or metal implements on non-stick surfaces) but even the best non-stick surfaces lose their non-stickiness over time if regularly exposed to high heat (like BBQs are). I like the idea of the Weber spray above, but its not usually the meat that sticks, its the marinade/juices that burn on and I'm not sure the spray will help with that.

To be honest it just needs a deep clean to remove the deposits of carbonised grease and sugars.....which I usually totally forget to do until we're away somewhere (and I'm not spending my holiday cleaning!). But this thread has reminded me :giggle:

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
The weber spray works for marinade from my experience, you have to apply it as per instructions immediately before cooking when grill hot, and it forms a barrier on the metal, making things wipe off after.

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
And yes, I spent a good half day on my Weber Q prior to this weekend cleaning it's grill from last seasons mess (we only tended to clean below the actual grill pans that touch the food once a year, as we run the actual case iron grills through the dishwasher once or twice a year). Technically being cast iron you shouldn't, but by doing so, and reapplying the coating via the non-stick spray they perform adequately, and we purchased the weber in year 2020, and it's good as new even now.
For cleaning the insides below the grill surface.. Weber have a food safe degreaser/bbq clean spray for that too, which I find useful to put on and leave to soak on the insides of the BBQ then it usually takes 2 rounds of that to get down back to the cast alunminum BBQ layer. Once a year it's nice to see gleaming aluminum rather tha black!

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
If you're struggling to push a rubber hose onto a fitting, put the hose end on a flat surface and give it half a dozen whacks with a hammer, this will "excite the molecules" and soften/warm it up nicely. Handy if you've no access to hot water or a naked flame may be inappropriate ?

Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
We have the safari cadac and ditched our portable charcoal one as we never used it . Love cooking on the cadac but could do with adjustable height legs . Other than that perfect for 2

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back