Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Oh look, a double standard.

Please correct me if I'm wrong here but you appear to be suggesting that the Tories are solely to blame for insignificant minor fluctuations in the current rate but Labour are totally blameless for the sustained 30% decline between 2000 and 2009.

I suppose you don't see the problem with that?

They are either both to blame or neither of them are to blame. Trying to have it both ways is insulting to everyone else's intelligence.
Tell that to Norman Lamont....

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Im trying to work out whats going on, even Napoleons advice of "if you want to find out whats happening , look at the map of the world"
Oil is crashing who knows we may see sub $10 a barrell and the stock market is in a dive, what i cant figure out is why the saudis have the tap on full pump, the Iranians are going to want to sell their oil as well so is the oil price part of the attack on IS? i dont think so , since the USA has become self sufficient in oil,the saudis have dropped the price. The chinese have got a glut of steel so they are dumping it on the market , whats to stop us putting up import taxes ? maybe if we do that,the chinese will then dump the billions of Dollars,Euros and pounds on to the open markets? watch the Gold price,that is going to go through the roof.

I dont think that its part of some game to keep the UK in europe ,its more of a world financial correction,a big one

So any of you expert economists want to explain it to us Plebs?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
What the US problems with sub prime loans did was make lenders and governments look at whether those including governments who had borrowed could actually service the loans never mind pay them back. Labour had both relaxed the rules for banking allowing some of our banks to lend to bad payers and over borrow themselves hence our banking crisis, and at the same time had overspent themselves requiring a cutback to avoid ending up bankrupt like several other countries we all know.

As for the current did in the exchange rate that seems to be mainly down to high expectations before Xmas turning out to be not as good resulting in interest rates now not expected to rise for another year.

It is now all the fault of the Chinese.

Yes the chinese reported another disaster yesterday. Bets are that the roof will fall in making 2008 seem like a picnic. Oh & yes the yanks are still up to the old tricks except this time the stunning vehicle sales figures, month on month increases are based on non-recourse vehicles loans. :( It'll all end in :cry: again.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Osborne and that ilk dont believe in interfering believing the market decides its madness.......Tell that to the steel workers:(

they say we are nearer the next crash than away from the last one...

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
You have to look at the whole picture. OP said it's much better value than anything for sale in the UK so bet he will still be quids in even at a crap rate....

That was not my point... The deal whatever it is after negotiation is then at the mercy (Or not) of the exchange rate.

Im sure we dont have to be reminded yet again how foolish those of us who buy our vans in the UK are ? Vand from abroad are often cheaper for a reason and it seems not that easy in some cases to sell ... LHD is not for everyone nor is the travel and paperwork. Plus for me I prefer to spend my coin here ..

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Yes the chinese reported another disaster yesterday. Bets are that the roof will fall in making 2008 seem like a picnic. Oh & yes the yanks are still up to the old tricks except this time the stunning vehicle sales figures, month on month increases are based on non-recourse vehicles loans. :( It'll all end in :cry: again.

Theres nowt like a good giggle eh ? :D:D:D

Errr....... Whats a non recourse vehicle loan ?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Its all a gamble and hindsight is a wonderfull thing probably best to buy euros in several blocks if its a big purchase to smooth out the rate change but still historically a good rate at present.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
There are probably some thieving Ba***ds fiddling the RIBOR rates , just cos some got caught does not mean the others are not doing it now or in the future, they just keep it quieter and undercover more.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Rate dropped due to bank of Englandshire saying no imminant interest rate increase.
Bugger all to do with government!

Life's a bitch, then you die!
Couldn't agree more..........Plus our Brussels chums in the ECB printing more money they don't have to facilitate more quantative easing. Speculators had also hedged against the £ this time last year and it's time to minimise their risk by dumping the £ now.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Thank God it's back on the way up.

I'm waiting to transfer funds to here, from a house sale.

Every 1 cent rise gets me about €2,000 more.

I took a beating in last 2 weeks :(

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I just added a new card for topping up the sterling. It now scans the card rather than entering the details manually

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Does it always convert to euros or can you put it on in pounds & leave in pounds ?
yes anything you like and use it in any country

you can keep wallets of different currencies

My euros balance just now is what I bought in November at €1:43

Last edited:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I just added a new card for topping up the sterling. It now scans the card rather than entering the details manually
New card won't transfer money to Revolut. Nat West Fraud team on the ball! One quick phone call and sorted (y)

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Does it always convert to euros or can you put it on in pounds & leave in pounds ?
image.png

Last edited:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Well if this lack of confidence continues to a brexit we are really stuffed! FTSE already down 1000 points:(

and for those who think they aint got shares where do yon think your pensions etc.... and invested!The situation madness!lol

lets hope there is a bounce back if sanity prevails and we stay in :)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I got a few euros this week as the rate had gone up a couple, not going to be life changing I know...:)

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
i bought my euros on the revolt card at 1.40 ,hope i have enough for the france trip in may.
rate is now 1.2833, so still going down, glad i bought in november

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Well if this lack of confidence continues to a brexit we are really stuffed! FTSE already down 1000 points:(

and for those who think they aint got shares where do yon think your pensions etc.... and invested!The situation madness!lol

lets hope there is a bounce back if sanity prevails and we stay in :)

hi Judge Mental.
I have no axe to grind with you,had it drummed into me. "Money makes money",so i vote Conservative,so to Brexit.
If there are Black Holes,in most Pension funds,if the vote is for In,when the EU goes belly up,who is going to pay the shortfall?
It seems MOST uncertain that the EU will still be going as it is,i am led to believe they have not had the books balanced for a long time,top people within it are saying they meddle to much so there are changes afoot there,so really it is even/stevens In-Out.
From where i am standing,out seems the best option,proper border control (I can hear long gone smugglers of old,rolling around in their graves in Cornwall at that one,they cannot keep inland borders safe). But that aside,the argument that firms will move away...So, Set up companies/wharehouses within the EU,ship part finished goods to them,put in the missing part and presto! Made in EU? (From experience.Opened a container in Horsham,boxes with a Company name and ""Made in uk" stamped on them,when i queried this i was told the simple fitment of one part made this legal,sorted
I will be first to admit that business ability/finance (Spelling/grammer?LOL) is way out of my league,but having been hired from the neck down,(I know my place LOL).Non of the In arguments stand up
So,am i right or a'Maringue ? LOL
Tea Bag....... A searcher for the truth?Whatever.
PS. Is the expansion of the EU a cheap way of building an Empire,buying not dieing? This is not a cheap shot,millions of people have stood up for freedom and payed dearly,why give that freedom away now.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
hi Judge Mental.
I have no axe to grind with you,had it drummed into me. "Money makes money",so i vote Conservative,so to Brexit.
If there are Black Holes,in most Pension funds,if the vote is for In,when the EU goes belly up,who is going to pay the shortfall?
It seems MOST uncertain that the EU will still be going as it is,i am led to believe they have not had the books balanced for a long time,top people within it are saying they meddle to much so there are changes afoot there,so really it is even/stevens In-Out.
From where i am standing,out seems the best option,proper border control (I can hear long gone smugglers of old,rolling around in their graves in Cornwall at that one,they cannot keep inland borders safe). But that aside,the argument that firms will move away...So, Set up companies/wharehouses within the EU,ship part finished goods to them,put in the missing part and presto! Made in EU? (From experience.Opened a container in Horsham,boxes with a Company name and ""Made in uk" stamped on them,when i queried this i was told the simple fitment of one part made this legal,sorted
I will be first to admit that business ability/finance (Spelling/grammer?LOL) is way out of my league,but having been hired from the neck down,(I know my place LOL).Non of the In arguments stand up
So,am i right or a'Maringue ? LOL
Tea Bag....... A searcher for the truth?Whatever.
PS. Is the expansion of the EU a cheap way of building an Empire,buying not dieing? This is not a cheap shot,millions of people have stood up for freedom and payed dearly,why give that freedom away now.
Well put @teabag ,I sometimes get so fed up with non patriotic comments ...wont say anymore as I am sure I will name then get banned ...but I agree with you..Roy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back