bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Cycled to Basel today, a lovely cycle along the rivers and canals and a not too hot day, and only arriving with a pocket full of euro's. :LOL:

;) Probably the same as every other tourists, why would you buy local currency for a day trip, no problem they accept euros :whistle:
But how do they get away with accepting euros and giving you the exact change in Swiss francs, when we all know that you get more Swiss francs to the euro. :D2
Not only that you end up with currency nobody else wants. :rolleyes: :swear2: :doh: Bob.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Because you're in Switzerland! They're doing you a favour by accepting euros. If they were to give you euros for your change they'd have to have a separate till, accounting system etc. They just accumulate them until it's worth a visit to the bank to change them.
Mind you, they know how much they're going to get......................!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The difference is about 12% and a lot less if you added typical exchange costs so not something to worry about. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
bobandjanie

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
It reminds me of the old days travelling and collecting all the different currency on your way. :doh:

They probably think we will go back tomorrow and spend it. :rofl:

;) Might try and spend it on the French or German border towns. :LOL: Bob

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
When we had the apartments in Bulgaria and they were on the Lev, no one wanted the Lev, they only wanted the Euro. Thats the way it is once outside the Eurozone. My semi tame professor moves to Geneva at the end of September and will be earning Swiss franks. Thankfully he still has a bob or two in his Euro account to keep me going as I have not worked out what to do with the Swiss franks yet, something will crop up though am sure :).

OP
OP
bobandjanie

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Because you're in Switzerland! They're doing you a favour by accepting euros. If they were to give you euros for your change they'd have to have a separate till, accounting system etc. They just accumulate them until it's worth a visit to the bank to change them.
Doing a favour....more like a scam. Last time we strayed into Switzerland there were two prices on everything, Euro and Swiss franc. They do not seem to have a symbol for their currency, nothing like €£¥# ;)
Just numbers, they might as well put ! after each price, as eye watering.....
There was also a complete abscence of currency exchange places. I think they have a cunning plan! Janie

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
When we had the apartments in Bulgaria and they were on the Lev, no one wanted the Lev, they only wanted the Euro. Thats the way it is once outside the Eurozone. My semi tame professor moves to Geneva at the end of September and will be earning Swiss franks. Thankfully he still has a bob or two in his Euro account to keep me going as I have not worked out what to do with the Swiss franks yet, something will crop up though am sure :).
Isn't that only the same as sterling? Outside the UK, its a currency nobody wants.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Doing a favour....more like a scam. Last time we strayed into Switzerland there were two prices on everything, Euro and Swiss franc. They do not seem to have a symbol for their currency, nothing like €£¥# ;)
Just numbers, they might as well put ! after each price, as eye watering.....
There was also a complete abscence of currency exchange places. I think they have a cunning plan! Janie
Try France and Luxembourg.. Very difficult to get sterling changed. Walked for 2 hours, sex banks in Luxembourg to change sterling and those that did have exchange facilities asked if I had an account with them. Clearly not because if I dud, I wouldn't have sterling.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Isn't that only the same as sterling? Outside the UK, its a currency nobody wants.

Sterling is still welcome in most parts of the world. Turkey is especially wanting it at the minuet.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Try France and Luxembourg.. Very difficult to get sterling changed. Walked for 2 hours, sex banks in Luxembourg to change sterling and those that did have exchange facilities asked if I had an account with them. Clearly not because if I dud, I wouldn't have sterling.

Any more info on those banks, sounds like a good weekend away with the lads? :LOL:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I hate Switzerland...

Too rich.
Too smug.
Too clean.
Too obsessed with following the regulations, no matter how silly they are.
Still holding stolen millions in their banks.

Please don't get me going about Switzerland... :crying:

JJ :cool:

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Sterling is still welcome in most parts of the world. Turkey is especially wanting it at the minuet.
Been to France, Germany or Luxembourg recently? Can't exchange.
True Turkey always has preferred Sterling but with their economy, they'll accept any type and I daresay they'd take CF rather than their Turkish Lira

OP
OP
bobandjanie

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I hate Switzerland...

Too rich.
Too smug.
Too clean.
Too obsessed with following the regulations, no matter how silly they are.
Still holding stolen millions in their banks.

Please don't get me going about Switzerland... :crying:

I should have said 'the previous time' as this time, one price, no symbols.

Yes JJ, agreed, I was saying it to Bob, their perfection, if they ever were, is slipping. Not so clean, rubbish around, cigarettes being dropped, grafitti on walls, this is in the historic centre.
There we lots of trams, I mean loads, one or two must have been running on time I agree ;-) Janie

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Been to France, Germany or Luxembourg recently? Can't exchange.
True Turkey always has preferred Sterling but with their economy, they'll accept any type and I daresay they'd take CF rather than their Turkish Lira

Am not really sure what you are saying. Am in Germany now, and have been in Europe since last May.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Am not really sure what you are saying. Am in Germany now, and have been in Europe since last May.
Trying to get sterling changed into Euros was a nightmare. Banks don't want to know and post offices only occasionally.
In the UK, banks, travel agents and bureau de change all over even in small towns.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Who would want Blighty money these days?

I suspect in will drop in value even more should you lot actually leave the EU.

Can't wait to leave even if the pound drops more. Close the borders and get rid of all the illegals and stop money being sent out of the County. Make everyone collect their benefits in cash. All pensions stopped from going into banks with international access.
Dreams ha ha ha ha

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our experience in much of Europe (also Morocco) is that banks are not interested in exchanging foreign currency - any foreign currency. They will just direct you to the nearest Bureau de Change. If you think about it, it's exactly the same in the UK. Where do you get your euros? Not banks for sure! I was in banking from when I left school until made redundant, hmmm lots of years ago. Foreign exchange was always a pre-order service, except for the large branches and still is according to my contacts.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Our experience in much of Europe (also Morocco) is that banks are not interested in exchanging foreign currency - any foreign currency. They will just direct you to the nearest Bureau de Change. If you think about it, it's exactly the same in the UK. Where do you get your euros? Not banks for sure! I was in banking from when I left school until made redundant, hmmm lots of years ago. Foreign exchange was always a pre-order service, except for the large branches and still is according to my contacts.
Virtually all trace agents have currency exchange and definitely into Euros. I live in a small town with 2 travel agents and both exchange money into Euros without notice and do does Asda. Post office does and there's 3 of them (sub post offices), so 6 places in this town and if I ventured to Bury or Bolton, probably 4 times as many.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Can't wait to leave even if the pound drops more. Close the borders and get rid of all the illegals and stop money being sent out of the County. Make everyone collect their benefits in cash. All pensions stopped from going into banks with international access.
Dreams ha ha ha ha

Dream on...

It won't happen like that

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
They have to accept them as do shops in the UK.All to do with being in the EU or the EEA. What they don't have to do though I'd give you change in euros:(
I guess you's have trouble walking into a UK shop and trying to pay in Euros.
See above.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back