Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I would consider one.

But I would want the price to reflect that 20 different people who were probably new to motorhoming and possibly on a jolly weekend had used it without knowing a lot.

The price tends to only be a few quid off a new price because they hardly have any mileage.

Then I think about it a bit more and decide against it.

OP
OP
B
Jan 8, 2011
Debyshire
Funster No
MH
hymer c640 c class
Exp
since 2009
The ones I have seen have been higher mileage and seem to be the right price to reflect this. I get what you are saying about multiple drivers users ect. But on the flip side a one owner low mileage very badly driven motorhome could also be a lemon ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
In the beginning of my motorhome journey, I would have probably said yes, but now years down the road and seeing some of the hired vehicles, the way they’re treated, driven and abused through ignorance of how the systems work, I’d say no…..unless it was ridiculously cheap, but even then I’d ponder.

Should have seen the one that pulled up on site, after hitting a bus, with mum dad and 3 tiny kiddies in and the state of the inside. All washable some might say, but it’s the bits you can’t see that would worry me the most.

As we used to say in the military, you can’t polish a turd

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
But on the flip side a one owner low mileage very badly driven motorhome could also be a lemon ?
Yep maybe badly driven, but probably otherwise cared for and loved.
P.S. please define "badly driven"

OP
OP
B
Jan 8, 2011
Debyshire
Funster No
MH
hymer c640 c class
Exp
since 2009
Arnt vans ment to be driven hard but I get what people say about the interior

Roby2008

Free Member
May 15, 2022
Bavaria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012
No need to be gentle, it's only a rental ..............We looked a quite few ex-rentals before we ordered new, some brands fare btter than others but the amount of damage caused by inexpereience and lack of care was high, broken hinges, scratches, torn and stained material etc, with the amount of visible damage, it was assumed that mechanical sympathy was not not high on the list either.
If the price difference was big enough then some risk would be worth it, but with market at the time (18 months ago) it wasn't worth it.

It's your decision on such a deal, for me it was a strong No.........

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Yeah thanks for that i just don't fancy a low mileage van that's sat rotting for years that can be as bad I think in some cases
Agree 100% with you there... However surely there must be plenty of higher mileage 1or2 previous owner vans out there that will have been lovenly looked after and cared for without going down the exrental route!!

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Mine was relatively low milage
But it did Long runs then was parked turned and returned
It did not do a lot of short hops
It suffered the usual issues with an older van
But the inside was pristine
Any 2nd hand vehicle is a gamble
But
Looking at some threads so is brand new.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Yeah thanks for that i just don't fancy a low mileage van that's sat rotting for years that can be as bad I think in some cases
Not sure about your thought process, but there ain’t many low mileage vans sat rotting that I’ve ever seen, in fact I’ve yet so see one. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Yes, we did. Our's was a Covid van, so had not been used much showing 16000m. We were invited to go around the van and raise any imperfections, which were all put right, no matter how trivial. I've had no issues with the van thus far, [ other than a scare over what we thought was floor delamination. It wasn't.] Really happy with our van at the moment and now we have it how we want it for significantly less than a main stealer offering. We had budgeted and looked at many vans much more expensive, but could not warrant the extra spend for fundamentally the same product, but it's each to their own and certainly if we consider buying again it's a route I would investigate thoroughly before parting with my wonga.
Mike.

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
Yes, we did. Our's was a Covid van, so had not been used much showing 16000m. We were invited to go around the van and raise any imperfections, which were all put right, no matter how trivial. I've had no issues with the van thus far, [ other than a scare over what we thought was floor delamination. It wasn't.] Really happy with our van at the moment and now we have it how we want it for significantly less than a main stealer offering. We had budgeted and looked at many vans much more expensive, but could not warrant the extra spend for fundamentally the same product, but it's each to their own and certainly if we consider buying again it's a route I would investigate thoroughly before parting with my wonga.
Mike.
Another happy mcrent customer

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
There was a nearly new Pilote A class appeared on driveway near us 3 years ago. It has had a tarp thrown over the top of it. The weeds around the van are now touching the window catches, it has never moved off the driveway. Now there's a low mileage 2 owner prestige van when it eventually hits the for sale market.!!! I'd rather have our used, and slightly abused ex-rental bus, in the knowledge of knowing what exactly I am getting, rather than a glitzy dealer "polished turd".
Mike.

OP
OP
B
Jan 8, 2011
Debyshire
Funster No
MH
hymer c640 c class
Exp
since 2009
I've seen plenty of motorhomes for sale that when I check the history they appear to have been sat for years. And as above they want top money at the stealers

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
I hired a motorhome and drove it to Brittany like Miss Daisy.
It was the largest thing I'd ever driven and was terrified of damaging it and losing my deposit :rofl:
On the way back I stopped at South Mimms and gave it a thorough clean 🤷‍♂️
When we initially hired I noted the damages clause was extensive prohibitively expensive, I drove it very conservatively and I held an HGV licence at that time so was used to larger vehicles.
Mike.

May 21, 2023
Chichester, UK
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057DBL
Considering the base vehicle, probably fiat ducato, survives as a delivery van for tesco/amazon etc being driven by multiple drivers all day every day for years I am sure an ex rental driven by drivers who do not want to lose insurance deposit will be in much better condition with much lower milage.

Habitation wise it has probably also been maintained by the rental company and would probably come with some guarantee. There will however be more scuffs and scratches etc on internal surfaces but an inspection will reveal these and you can decide if they are acceptable.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Could be tempted with a Hymer in Germany where they put them on the road in April and flog them off in September. We hired in Germany got a acused of bringing the van filthy they found 3 blades if grass in the garage, lucky he didn't say anything about the bus mirror covered in flies as they hid the scrape I did on a lamppost I'd never driven a A Class before not used to the mirror up there.

I wouldn't touch one that had been on the road for more than a season.

Also seen loads of damaged rental vans on our travels with locker doors and side skirts hanging off.
So I think I'll change my answer to a complete no.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back