Europe out of Season with 3 Dogs - is ACSI an option? Alternatives? TIA (1 Viewer)

Feb 2, 2009
North West
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Quite a while.....though not long enough
Hi,

Having recently buried a second best friend who I grew up with, we are thinking about throwing caution to the wind and just saying "Bugger this - you're a long time dead, lets sod off touring and work the finances out later".

And with our youngest now securing a place at University, going touring "out of season" is most definitely an option to us (we was unsure about doing so, as financially it's going to be a leap of faith as we both still work, though I'm self employed so it isn't quite as much a leap for myself as it would be for Suzy - but the death of my friend is a real factor).

I'll get to my point eventually, sorry.

We have only ever toured Europe (well, France, Spain & Portugal), in the Summer months due to having to go during the kids holidays but we do have quite a few years experience of doing it this way. However, we have always stuck to Aires, Wild Spots or Camper Park type stops as the ACSI was never available through the Summer months.

So, wanting to perhaps try something different from moving on every other day as we have always done, we have looked at ACSI again. But it seems that each and every campsite we look at that allows Dogs, states a limit of 2 Dogs, now I'm unsure if this is a rule of the campsite, or if it is just that ACSI only covers you for up to 2 Dogs.

Could anyone please enlighten us if this rule as affected you or if you have knowledge that may help us out with our 3 Dog problem?

Also, I recall there being some alternatives that did good deals, long term offers, and I once read a thread of a Portuguese Company that had a number of campsites that did a group offer out of season. But I cannot find this info, so if any of you have any alternative options that you think would be of interest, or could work for us. It would be very much appreciated if you could let us know please.

We are thinking it would need to be before October 31st as we don't know what new problems that is going to bring up.

Thanks in advance.

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
One dog is included in the price so you MAY have to pay for the other two, often sites say max 2 dogs but I think that is to be able to eject people who arrive with a pack of unruly dogs rather than a definitive rule. Ring in advance and ask..

Of course you may well be asked for vaccination certificates which maybe more difficult after Brexit as the UK Pet Passport may no longer be valid!!

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
OP
OP
Ian-n-Suzy
Feb 2, 2009
North West
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
That was the Portuguese one from the post. Thanks,.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Just checked this year’s ACSI book and each entry shows whether only one dog or more than one is allowed and whether extra dogs are free or not.

Do your dogs have passport? If they do, did they have the rabies titre test done? If not, it might be a good idea to get it done, then whatever happens over B, you will be covered. Check the DEFRA website for latest info.

OP
OP
Ian-n-Suzy
Feb 2, 2009
North West
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Just checked this year’s ACSI book and each entry shows whether only one dog or more than one is allowed and whether extra dogs are free or not.

Do your dogs have passport? If they do, did they have the rabies titre test done? If not, it might be a good idea to get it done, then whatever happens over B, you will be covered. Check the DEFRA website for latest info.

We wouldn't have time to travel if it was only based on the Rabies test. It would be on the Passport Scheme which I appreciate might not be worth a brass razoo come Oct 31st.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
Thank you for opening this post. Also very interested for similar reasons. Currently take one dog which is not a problem, but soon taking three.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
As long as you leave before the 31st you only need the passport. The tapeworm treatment still has to be done on return and this can also be entered on the passport. We investigated all this earlier in the year as we were leaving UK 2 days before the April “deadline”.

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
The tapeworm treatment still has to be done on return and this can also be entered on the passport.

This is on an invalid passport after 31st..... I wonder if French vets will be able to do that?

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
We have 3 dogs and use acsi sites a lot here in Spain when the discount is running. We get one dog "free" and usually get charged for the additional two - occasionally we get them in for free.

OP
OP
Ian-n-Suzy
Feb 2, 2009
North West
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
We have 3 dogs and use acsi sites a lot here in Spain when the discount is running. We get one dog "free" and usually get charged for the additional two - occasionally we get them in for free.

Hi Burgo,

THANKS for this reassuring post.

So would it be the norm that there isn't a problem to take the 3 Dogs onto the site?

and do you go to the more commercial type sites (Marjal Resorts and the likes).

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
This was the info given to us back in April by DEFRA.

The tapeworm treatment is an UK requirement not an EU one so I would think that French vets would be happy to take the money and enter the treatment on a passport which would still be valid for the UK. I will try to find the email I received and copy it here.

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
This was the info given to us back in April by DEFRA.

The tapeworm treatment is an UK requirement not an EU one so I would think that French vets would be happy to take the money and enter the treatment on a passport which would still be valid for the UK. I will try to find the email I received and copy it here.

Will it still be valid in the UK?

I'm still surprised by the UK slant on all Europeans ie They will be willing to breach their code of ethics for €20 because they are so desperate for our money!!

I wonder what the ferry operator's view is, will they accept an invalid passport at Calais? I asked the question of DFDS just before as the last deadline approached and they couldn't give me an answer, they were waiting instructions on that and a raft of other issues.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Can’t help with the dogs but ACSI is well worth it as you can save the price of it in 2 nights....

However, on long stays of 3 or more weeks it may well be better on the site deal that they offer for longer stays.. ie: site price may be €20 a night and ACSI €16 a night but stay longer and the sites own deal may go down to €14 a night after a certain length of stay...

Hope that makes sense...?

And it’s a lovely time to tour Europe much quieter and cheaper ??

And don’t forget a lot of sites in France will close towards the end of September..

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Will it still be valid in the UK?

I'm still surprised by the UK slant on all Europeans ie They will be willing to breach their code of ethics for €20 because they are so desperate for our money!!

I wonder what the ferry operator's view is, will they accept an invalid passport at Calais? I asked the question of DFDS just before as the last deadline approached and they couldn't give me an answer, they were waiting instructions on that and a raft of other issues.

Certainly didn’t mean to give the impression that French vets were desperate for our money.

I asked DEFRA specifically what the position would be if we left the UK whilst still in the EU and returned after we had left it without a deal. Their reply was that the passport would be sufficient when we left ( we have never been asked for the passport entering France or when crossing the border between Slovenia and non-Schengen area Croatia).

The tapeworm treatment could be entered on a UK issued EU passport or on a health certificate. The UK passport will still be valid for entry to the UK.
As I said, I will try to post a copy of the email.

Anybody who has concerns can do as I did and ask DEFRA.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Certainly didn’t mean to give the impression that French vets were desperate for our money.

I asked DEFRA specifically what the position would be if we left the UK whilst still in the EU and returned after we had left it without a deal. Their reply was that the passport would be sufficient when we left ( we have never been asked for the passport entering France or when crossing the border between Slovenia and non-Schengen area Croatia).

The tapeworm treatment could be entered on a UK issued EU passport or on a health certificate. The UK passport will still be valid for entry to the UK.
As I said, I will try to post a copy of the email.

Anybody who has concerns can do as I did and ask DEFRA.
Yes this is the advice I had too. Leaving the uk after br3xit a different matter but coming back no problem.

OP
OP
Ian-n-Suzy
Feb 2, 2009
North West
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
What date do they usually release the new edition of the book? as thinking if we go which is now looking likely, we'll need a copy of both the 2019 book AND the 2020.

Also, I see there is now some sort of option to buy the Book and the App, and if so is this the way to go?

Our current copy of the ACSI Book is a little out of date (2010 edition), lol

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
Hi Burgo,

THANKS for this reassuring post.

So would it be the norm that there isn't a problem to take the 3 Dogs onto the site?

and do you go to the more commercial type sites (Marjal Resorts and the likes).
We tend to use the independent sites (don't know what a Marjal resort is!). Looking at the last few we used on the ACSI app a few say, under the fogs section, 2 dogs but we've never had a problem with our 3 - one labrador x podenco so a good size, the other 2 terrier sized cross breeds. If you have 3 smallish / 1 large 2 small I wouldn't expect a problem - if you have 3 large ones then YMMV, especially if they are over 20kg & /or on the dangerous dogs list https://www.citizensadvice.org.es/faq/what-dogs-are-on-dangerous-breeds-list/ though our larger one is 25kg plus but so soft with people and good on the lead she never has an issue.

OP
OP
Ian-n-Suzy
Feb 2, 2009
North West
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Looked at booking Marjal Costa Blanca for 30 nights, and they won't allow us to book it with having 3 Dogs, I explained 2 Small Dogs (Cocker Spaniels) and 1 medium (a Doodle), but they won't have it. Even tried to book on a Rally there with the Camping and Caravan Club as I thought that may be a way around it, but they won't do it for 3 Dogs either.

Daft really if you think 1 German Shepherd would likey be bigger than the 3 of ours put together, but hey ho.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back