Euramobil heating fan on works on highest setting - any idea what's up? (1 Viewer)

Jun 9, 2010
Stroud, UK
Funster No
MH
Euramobil 810
Exp
Since 2014
Hey folks!

I have a 2005 Euramobil 810 A class on a Fiat chassis and the heating fan on my only works on setting 4 (e.g. max highest setting). If I turn the dial from 0 to 1, 2 or 3, nothing happens. But when I turn it to 4, it blows on max.
I understand this is a common problem with Fiat Ducato and have found a couple of Youtube videos that point to it being the heating fan resistor. This one is quite informative, however, the layout of my Euramobil under the passenger glove box is very different to this guy's Hymer. My heating fan is vertical as opposed to horizontal and I don't see the same plug with the resistor behind it (assume it's tucked away in the dash somewhere).

Has anyone had the same problem and me and can you let me know how you fixed it?

Does anyone know where the heating fan resistor is located on the 2005 Euramobil/Fiat?

When I bought the van, there were quite a few problems that I landed up getting Fiat to fix, but the dealer was such a nightmare to deal with and I declined Fiat fixing the heating fan when they said they thought it was the actual heating fan switch and that they'd have to take the whole dash apart and it would take them about a week or two and cost over a grand (on top of the bill for the other stuff they'd fixed that the dealer missed).

Thanks in advance!

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Does your dash look the same as the one in the video, so a X250?

Yours may be the older model being an 05reg. It will still be in the ducting somewhere as they use the airflow to cool it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
I had the same problem on a 2007 Renault master based Dethleffs.

Soldered the resistor after a quick look on you tube.
Once you locate the part it just unplugs.
Easy fix and it worked!

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
Yes, as advised above, I've just had to replace both the resistor and the plug on my 2008 X250, really easy to do once you've found it, replacement less than a tenner on ebay

Feb 2, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C
Exp
Vw T5's are prone to this as well.£6 off ebay so not an expensive fix

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I think your right with the fault. Resistor pack as it controls the speed.
However the video is for a later version of the Ducato so you need to search for its location in the earlier model.

OP
OP
nigelivy
Jun 9, 2010
Stroud, UK
Funster No
MH
Euramobil 810
Exp
Since 2014
Hi folks. Thanks for the advice on locating the resistor.

I removed the four torque screws in the glove box, which enabled me to pull the glove box back enough to get in behind it:
IMG_4312.jpg

This enabled me to pull the plug out the back of the resistor and remove the small screw holding the resistor in place:
IMG_4313.jpg

With the resistor out, I found a replacement on eBay for £12:
IMG_4251.jpeg

IMG_4268.jpg

I put the new resistor in, screw in, and plug into the back of the resistor:
IMG_4314.jpg

Sadly this has made no difference to the problem I'm facing. The heater blower fan still only turns on when set to speed 4.
I can only assume that either the new resistor is faulty or something else needs to be replaced.

I assume I have the right resistor. They are identical and one would assume the cheap eBay resistor works properly. Does anyone know how I can test it to see if it actually works?

Does anyone have any suggestions on what else I can try?

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I’ve read about the actual blower switch being fault.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Hi folks. Thanks for the advice on locating the resistor.

I removed the four torque screws in the glove box, which enabled me to pull the glove box back enough to get in behind it:
View attachment 462028

This enabled me to pull the plug out the back of the resistor and remove the small screw holding the resistor in place:
View attachment 462029

With the resistor out, I found a replacement on eBay for £12:
View attachment 462030
View attachment 462031

I put the new resistor in, screw in, and plug into the back of the resistor:
View attachment 462032

Sadly this has made no difference to the problem I'm facing. The heater blower fan still only turns on when set to speed 4.
I can only assume that either the new resistor is faulty or something else needs to be replaced.

I assume I have the right resistor. They are identical and one would assume the cheap eBay resistor works properly. Does anyone know how I can test it to see if it actually works?

Does anyone have any suggestions on what else I can try?
not a ducato but on my renault it was the rotary switch in the dash with the renault i had to buy the panel as one unit probably find they are similar

OP
OP
nigelivy
Jun 9, 2010
Stroud, UK
Funster No
MH
Euramobil 810
Exp
Since 2014
I’ve read about the actual blower switch being fault.
not a ducato but on my renault it was the rotary switch in the dash with the renault i had to buy the panel as one unit probably find they are similar

Thank-you both for your input.

I've had a brief look at getting to the switch unit, and looks like quite a lot of the dash needs to be dismantled to get to the switch unit.

OP
OP
nigelivy
Jun 9, 2010
Stroud, UK
Funster No
MH
Euramobil 810
Exp
Since 2014
This looks very similar to my van and is quite useful to see how the dash comes apart, so this is what I'll be doing to try and fix the problem. Here's hoping it's the heather blower switch! :)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
The plug on the back of the rotary switch has a nasty habit of overheating and melting too. A lot of work stripping down to get at it too

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
This looks very similar to my van and is quite useful to see how the dash comes apart, so this is what I'll be doing to try and fix the problem. Here's hoping it's the heather blower switch! :)

A lot of work but hopefully it will be worth it.

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
I had exactly the same problem on my 2003 ducato which looks to be the same dash. Some googling led me to the actual switch, once changed all was well. I managed to change it without a major dismantle but it was like decorating a hallway through a letterbox

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I had exactly the same problem on my 2003 ducato which looks to be the same dash. Some googling led me to the actual switch, once changed all was well. I managed to change it without a major dismantle but it was like decorating a hallway through a letterbox
With Covid stopping many other operations, I hear that there are a load of gynaecologists on furlough that could use some work on the side

OP
OP
nigelivy
Jun 9, 2010
Stroud, UK
Funster No
MH
Euramobil 810
Exp
Since 2014
Hahahahaha! There is no better way of describing this task! :LOL::LOL:

OP
OP
nigelivy
Jun 9, 2010
Stroud, UK
Funster No
MH
Euramobil 810
Exp
Since 2014
I took the dash apart today. On the whole, it was pretty straight forward with the hardest part actually being getting the radio out because I couldn't find the release keys. :wasntme:
IMG_4321.jpg

Got the switch out after a bit of wrestling. It's always a good feeling of relief when you see your new part is correct! :)
IMG_4322.jpg

Got it all back together and didn't have any screws left over and everything worked! Heater blower now has 4 settings rather than just 1!
IMG_4323.jpg

Thanks, everyone for your input and help in identifying the issue. It's much appreciated!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
A top tip for doing this sort of work is to buy a snake camera for your phone or tablet, about £10 on ebay. Buy one with the best light you can find, as it makes a big difference working in the dark recesses behind a dashboard or inside body structures tracing wires

OP
OP
nigelivy
Jun 9, 2010
Stroud, UK
Funster No
MH
Euramobil 810
Exp
Since 2014
A top tip for doing this sort of work is to buy a snake camera for your phone or tablet, about £10 on ebay. Buy one with the best light you can find, as it makes a big difference working in the dark recesses behind a dashboard or inside body structures tracing wires
Great tip! Thank-you!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back