Free Member
Jan 2, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
4 years
BBC News today announced that visitors to EU countries will need an ETIAS document costing €7 ... lasting three years. Does anyone know if these are available now and from where?

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
The article on the BBC News web site says that it has not been launched yet. I take that to mean that you can’t get one yet.

emo

Free Member
Oct 28, 2015
Funster No
MH
Bursner lyseo
Exp
Since2015
Just read it Does anyone know what they mean by anyone between 18-70 must pay
Does that mean over 70s don’t need ETIAS or can’t we travel!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
I would be more concerned about the contingency panes the EU announced would be accelerated today in the event of a No Deal. I think as usual positions are becoming entrenched on both sides of the channel.

OP
OP
Janiemou

Janiemou

Free Member
Jan 2, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
4 years
Tricky for us then, as we'll be away, heading south. Won't be back until September.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
If the ETIAS is not ready I guess we would need Schengen Visas until it is???

Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
Strictly speaking, the ETIAS is not a consequence of Brexit. It has been in the EU's planning since at least 2016 to regulate travel into the EU for security reasons amongst others. It applies to all "Third Countries" which have been granted non-Visa status.

As long as we are in the EU (including during any "transition period", if agreed), UK Citizens will continue to have free movement, as citizens from other EU countries will have into the UK. The EU Commission has previously explained that from 29th March next if there is no deal, or from the end of any agreed transition period, the UK becomes a "Third Country" with Visa-free status, meaning that ETIAS will then apply to UK Citizens.

Full details can be found at:

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/etias/

Also worth a read is:

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/etias-regulation-enters-into-force/

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
EU tourism is going to fall off a cliff edge when you also factor in the Schengen Visa costs and application faff. What a boost for Turkey, Tunisia etc.

This is what you should expect if you employ thousands of compulsive rule-makers in Brussels.

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
Turkey also operates a similar e-visa scheme which you need to apply for before you travel there. Valid for multiple stays up to a maximum of 90 days in a 180 day period and costs $20 and lasts for the stated 180 days.
The ETIAS visa due to be implemented in 2021, is planned to cost 7 Euro and last up to 3 years.

Broken Link Removed

Pete

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Does anyone know if the UK will be requiring something the same for visitors to here ?

Jun 18, 2012
Preston
Funster No
MH
Grandad's Camper-CPC
Exp
Since 2012
The EU Commission has previously explained that from 29th March next if there is no deal, or from the end of any agreed transition period, the UK becomes a "Third Country" with Visa-free status, meaning that ETIAS will then apply to UK Citizens.
@Millcourt , I agree with most of what you have said. However, I fear you have missed the word "World" from between the words Third and Country. :)

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Turkey also operates a similar e-visa scheme which you need to apply for before you travel there. Valid for multiple stays up to a maximum of 90 days in a 180 day period and costs $20 and lasts for the stated 180 days.
The ETIAS visa due to be implemented in 2021, is planned to cost 7 Euro and last up to 3 years.

Broken Link Removed

Pete

There are links on that EU site to the other Schengen Visa stuff. Also, the latest proposal to increase the Schengen visa fee from 60 Euros to 80 Euros per adult to cover admin costs. I thought I had read elsewhere that the EU was making contingency plans to reduce that Schengen fee to 6 Euros for the UK in the event of a no-deal Brexit.

Next, there's the added cost and inconvenience of attending an interview at the French Consulate in London for a Schengen visa. That requirement can't be practicable for millions of tourist visas for UK travellers wanting to visit France for short holidays. Or am I reading this all wrong and it doesn't apply to tourist visas?

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
Or am I reading this all wrong and it doesn't apply to tourist visas?

ETIAS is a visa waiver which allows for short term stays up to 90 days. The application process is expected to be simple and fast. Completing the ETIAS online application will take each applicant approximately 10 minutes and cost just 7 Euro.

Pete

Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
T ..........Or am I reading this all wrong and it doesn't apply to tourist visas?

Not sure what you mean by "Tourist Visa" in this context. As I mentioned earlier on this thread, the EU Commission have already published their intention that UK Citizens will not require a Visa for travel to the EU within the constraint of multiple entries during a 90 in 180 day rolling period, after we become (in EU jargon) a Third Country.

Do not be in doubt that all of our movements into and out of the EU are documented (but not for travel between countries within the Schengen area) . Passports are machine read on entry and exit (or taken from the airline records). As I have found recently Passports are also being routinely machine read when departing the UK by ferry for Europe, as they are when using the Channel Tunnel. If not already linked by computer, it will be relatively easy to do so to enable immigration staff to know precisely how long you have stayed within the EU and for this information to be readily available to the Immigration Officer when you depart. This already happens in Turkey, making it impossible to avoid the penalties of a fine for overstaying and if the overstay is excessive a ban for a set period from re-entry. (I am very familiar with the 90 in 180 day rule for travel to Turkey, having kept until recently a small sailboat in Turkish waters for several years and travelled to/from Turkey frequently for extended stays, all within the 90 day limit restriction.)

If the ETIAS arrangements are not fully implemented by the time the UK becomes a Third Country, Immigration Officials will still have the data needed to monitor lengths of stay from the machine reading of Passports. Once the ETIAS is in operation, UK Citizens will also have to comply with this requirement. For "ordinary" tourism for UK Citizens travelling (e.g. on a two week holiday to Spain), all that will be necessary will be to apply for your ETIAS on-line and pay the nominal €7 fee once every 3 years. I doubt this will have much impact on tourist numbers, unlike the cost of exchanging £ to € which crashed after the referendum.

Of course, for those of us who might wish to tour/reside in our motorhomes in the EU for more than 90 days in a 180 day rolling period we will need to either restrict ourselves to this limitation or find other ways to extend our stay, such as by applying for residency in one of the EU countries. However, bear in mind that obtaining residency in (for example) Spain does not allow unrestrained travel elsewhere in the EU, which would still be restricted to the 90 in 180 day limit. Also (and this does not always seem to be routinely enforced), if you reside for more than 183 days in total (usually counted as within the same tax year - for most countries from 1st January) within any one EU country you become liable for taxation in that country and (perhaps) for vehicles to be registered in that country and to conform with their vehicle licensing and other requirements. I have no experience of this, but it seems to me that applying for residency would alert the authorities that it may indeed your intention to stay for 183 days or longer!

The 90 in 180 day rule can become complicated for multiple visits. The 180 day period is a rolling period and within that limit you can return as often as you wish provided you do not exceed a total of 90 days. Suppose you stay for 60 days in May and June and want to return in September for a further 60 days. Is this permissible? To check out what you may wish to do, you may find this Schengen short stay calculator helpful:

http://www.schengen-calculator.com/

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
EU tourism is going to fall off a cliff edge when you also factor in the Schengen Visa costs and application faff. What a boost for Turkey, Tunisia etc.

This is what you should expect if you employ thousands of compulsive rule-makers in Brussels.
18 million UK residents visit the EU on our holidays , total EU population 512 million, so I'm sure they'll take up the slack.

Of course most tourists don't need to worry about 90 days. Still who would have thought that stopping freedom of movement would have meant stopping freedom of movement .

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
No need to apologise. It may well be 2021. Something I have already forgotten about. However, and not wanting to split hairs, it has been published that it will cost 7 euros and be valid for 3 years. No doubt someone will come along and correct that. :dance2::dance2::dance2:

OP
OP
Janiemou

Janiemou

Free Member
Jan 2, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
4 years
I fear you have missed the word "World" from between the words Third and Country.

A Third Country is not the same as a Third World Country. Third Country National is a term often used in the context of migration, referring to individuals who are in transit and/or applying for visas in countries that are not their country of origin. Third World is geographical.

OP
OP
Janiemou

Janiemou

Free Member
Jan 2, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
4 years
What happens to those of us who want to stay 180 days in one stretch? There must be many motor-homers doing this ...

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
What happens to those of us who want to stay 180 days in one stretch? There must be many motor-homers doing this ...
Perhaps that is something we lose with freedom of movement?

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Perhaps that is something we lose with freedom of movement?
Agree! There will be a price to pay for taking back control of our own destiny and there will no doubt be other changes that will be imposed upon us. Step back and look at the E.U. it's imploding, Italy in great financial trouble, France now having financial problems, Eastern E.U. countries demanding the Commission sort out immigration. Senior members of the Commission stating on television that all power needs to be transferred to the Commission and arguments breaking out left, right and centre. We may have a a little turbulence ahead of us but leaving the E.U. is the right thing for us to do. We are still a great nation and the rest of the world look up to us. If we stay in the E.U. we will become lost and controlled by people we have never voted for.

Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
A Third Country is not the same as a Third World Country. Third Country National is a term often used in the context of migration, referring to individuals who are in transit and/or applying for visas in countries that are not their country of origin. Third World is geographical.

I think @Sabino understands the difference, but was perhaps suggesting that the UK is heading towards the latter post-Brexit.

@Pausim is correct. Freedom of movement works both ways! If/when we become a Third Country you will not be able to stay within the EU for more than 90 days maximum on one visit. However, you may find the remarks I made in my earlier posting on this thread about the possibility of obtaining "residency" helpful should you wish to stay longer.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back