Eu Pet Passport (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 9, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMCI 680
Dear All,

First timers here so be gentle :giggle:.

I have tried looking through the threads and see lots of general advice so just looking for any specific recommendations regarding Vets for EU Pet Passports in Spain, the south - Alicante/Benicassim/Villajoyosa/Calpe sort of area. Apologies if it is all on the forum here somewhere and just can find it through operator error on my part :(. Perhaps nudge me in the right direction if that is the case(y).

We have a small pooch and getting her rabies vaccine next week with the AHC to follow from AbbeyWell vets. Through the tunnel for three months at the beginning of Feb 2023. Looking to head south through France and possibly Portugal depending on weather, but really looking to head to south of Spain to get the warmer temps.

Will obviously be looking for return visits to Europe and don’t want to keep paying for a new AHC each time.

So just wondered if there is any vets that anyone has used in the South of Spain that are friendly and happy to issue EU Pet Passports without too much aggro. I understand that French vets are now asking for a French addresses in order to issue. Have seen recommendation for Northern Ireland and Belgium, but we won’t going in those directions.

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
Pets World La Zenia Boulevard - we got ours done last week - about €50? We made the appointment via email in English, & stayed in the shopping centre car park overnight. They do the 3 year rabies jab, & were happy to take a campsite address.

Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
Camping , caravanning, campervaning for 10 years
Benivets in Benicassim.... a Funster, whose name I now forget, got one last week with 3 yr rabies shot for €70 and I am getting one there next week. Confirmed via telephone no problems. We have dealt with this before years and they are very helpful and very kind with your pets

cantonalegod

Free Member
Nov 1, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8086df
Exp
Pets World La Zenia Boulevard - we got ours done last week - about €50? We made the appointment via email in English, & stayed in the shopping centre car park overnight. They do the 3 year rabies jab, & were happy to take a campsite address.
Totally agree with this. We got our dog's EU passport last year at our "local" vet, El Perro Verde in Quesada, but she wouldn't/couldn't do a 3 year rabies for us.
No problem at Pets World, all sorted for €18! 👍

OP
OP
L
Jul 9, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMCI 680
Thanks for the responses. Really helpful. Will make contact to arrange an appointment. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
Just as a reminder ... when I get my Spanish pet passport what is the correct date format she follows for chip and rabies jab? Is it original date of chip implanting then whenever the vet gives rabies jab?

Dec 24, 2021
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2000
Just checked the PP, it’s the date the vet checks the chip, so that date and the rabies date is the same. She made no mention of the original chip date.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Just as a reminder ... when I get my Spanish pet passport what is the correct date format she follows for chip and rabies jab? Is it original date of chip implanting then whenever the vet gives rabies jab?

See post #5, how to fill in pet passport 👍

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just to update this, Petsworld now charge a €21 admin fee on top of the cost of the PP etc so to get one with a 3 year rabies jab will cost €51 now.

OP
OP
L
Jul 9, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMCI 680
Just to update this, Petsworld now charge a €21 admin fee on top of the cost of the PP etc so to get one with a 3 year rabies jab will cost €51 now.
Thanks for that.

I also made contact with BeniVets at Benicassim and they charge around €75 for the passport and 3 year rabies jab. They do ask for an address, but a campsite address will do even if you are only there for one day, although I’m not sure how they check so you could provide any local campsites address even if you aren’t staying there unless they ask for proof you are, but that wasn’t mentioned when I spoke to them.

Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
liamharry ..... pet passport obtained yesterday at Benivets in Benicassim for our newest addition. You would need to take your passport along as well, luckily I took a photo of the important page on my phone then. It's for the Spanish registration system ( not that it will concern us I guess) like French I -cad. Including 4 pipettes of Advantix and of course a new 3 year Rabies vaccination ...109€. Used our campsite address in passport initially but I wrote our UK home adress in as soon as I got back to the van. Simple, helpful, no fuss, no problems.

OP
OP
L
Jul 9, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMCI 680
liamharry ..... pet passport obtained yesterday at Benivets in Benicassim for our newest addition. You would need to take your passport along as well, luckily I took a photo of the important page on my phone then. It's for the Spanish registration system ( not that it will concern us I guess) like French I -cad. Including 4 pipettes of Advantix and of course a new 3 year Rabies vaccination ...109€. Used our campsite address in passport initially but I wrote our UK home adress in as soon as I got back to the van. Simple, helpful, no fuss, no problems.
Thanks for the update and glad you got it sorted.

3 weeks and counting until we leave for our trip. Managed to get in contact with Olivia who said that it would 75 Euro all in.

Assuming this was the case?

Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
Would seem to be correct. Just paid the 109€ for the lot. No invoice but seems correct as 4 pipettes of Advantix for up to 10kg dogs were included in that price.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Our friends here in Spain have been advised, by me, to get their dog a passport here. They are property owners but not resident.

Their concern is that when they go back to the UK via France they may not be allowed to use the passport.

Has anyone ever had any problem in France with a EU supplied passport? I'd like to put their mind at rest (or not, as the case may be).

Thanks.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Our friends here in Spain have been advised, by me, to get their dog a passport here. They are property owners but not resident.

Their concern is that when they go back to the UK via France they may not be allowed to use the passport.

Has anyone ever had any problem in France with a EU supplied passport? I'd like to put their mind at rest (or not, as the case may be).

Thanks.
What is their concern based on? The fact that they are not Spanish residents, or something else?

If the Pet Passport is completed properly, they will have no problem with it.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
What is their concern based on? The fact that they are not Spanish residents, or something else?

If the Pet Passport is completed properly, they will have no problem with it.

Their problem is going back from France. They're petrified the dog will have to stay and they'll be allowed to travel.

There's no getting through to them that it's a legal passport.

Of all the people getting passports they should be more relaxed because they do have an official address here.

Heyho if they want to keep forking out for a AHC it's their choice 🙄🙄

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Their problem is going back from France. They're petrified the dog will have to stay and they'll be allowed to travel.

Of all the people getting passports they should be more relaxed because they do have an official address here.

Presumably their AHC will still be valid for their return to the UK, so they might as well get an EU Pet Passport anyway. They present the PP on their return (which should convince them that it works!) and still have the AHC as a security blanket.

cantonalegod

Free Member
Nov 1, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8086df
Exp

Thanks.
As long as the passport is issued at least 21 days before they go back (for the rabies jab to be valid) they will be fine with the PP.
When we got ours we used the AHC to come home, as we travelled almost immediately after obtaining the PP.
We have been back and forth through France since using the PP with no issues at all.
Hope that helps to reassure you!

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013

I don't think I've read of anyone being refused at Calais as long as the passport has been filled in correctly anyone who has would be sent to a local vet to have it corrected,same as UK,anyone with an incorrect AHC gets sent down to Abbeywell vets Folkstone but if you can't get through to them not a lot you can do!

Last edited:

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Presumably their AHC will still be valid for their return to the UK, so they might as well get an EU Pet Passport anyway. They present the PP on their return (which should convince them that it works!) and still have the AHC as a security blanket.

I've tried that argument 😄

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
The daft thing is they scrimp and save on other things (not because they have to) but this is worrying them so much that they'd rather keep paying for the AHC.

Nowt' as queer as folk, as they say!

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
As said the AHC still works and that is what they would use if they didn’t get a PP anyway.

We got our PP and returned to the UK within a couple of days of getting it. The PP checkin asked to see the old UK PP, or the AHC to confirm that it was booster not a first time rabies treatment. The staff actually seem to prefer dealing with PP’s, wherever issued, as apposed to AHCs, and offer helpful advice about how to keep it, and to get treatments in the EU, not UK.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We used our pooches PPs (Minky and Tazzy) that we got in Portugal in April 22, they were accepted for both returning to the UK in May 22 and coming out in December 22.

We've just got a Spanish one for Bella yesterday and will use it when going back to the UK in February, they will want to check the original rabies vac details on the AHC to confirm the one done yesterday was a booster (thus no 21 day wait) but that's all.

If they won't believe you there's nothing you can do, we've met some people who would rather pay for an AHC each time even though we've explained the benefits of a PP, we don't understand it, but it's their choice.

Jan 30, 2014
Midlands
Funster No
MH
IH 630 FL
Exp
we are going out in June so have to get the AHC for our dog, but would like to get an PP for coming back and to be able to go out again without needing another AHC - How soon before coming back do I need to get the PP providing I can find a vet to do this, I do not have foreign address to give. We have always used the Vet in Broglie who are very good, but I cannot find an email address for them only phone number. Does anyone know of one or another vet nearby that will issue a PP.
Is there a problem to the dog having to have two rabies jabs within one month. Hope someone can advise me with answers. Thanks

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
we are going out in June so have to get the AHC for our dog, but would like to get an PP for coming back and to be able to go out again without needing another AHC - How soon before coming back do I need to get the PP providing I can find a vet to do this, I do not have foreign address to give. We have always used the Vet in Broglie who are very good, but I cannot find an email address for them only phone number. Does anyone know of one or another vet nearby that will issue a PP.
Is there a problem to the dog having to have two rabies jabs within one month. Hope someone can advise me with answers. Thanks
You will not be able to get a PP in France. You can get it in Belgium, I used the vet in Mons. She speaks English and uses email to book. She may take your existing rabies info but more likely will not. My vet daughter has explained to me that it is no problem to have multiple rabies jabs, often has to be done by vets to pass the Titre test.
You could get the PP with the worming in the 72 hour window before returning. You would then need to make sure she enters the worming on your AHC and then you would return to UK using the AHC document. Cash only.
The PP would be used at next trip out and must be at least 21 days from the rabies entered on it.
Surgery s on outskirts of Mons and easy parking on forecourt. We stopped overnight at the Strepy Thieu boat lift (old one).

Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
Got our pooch a:
New European Pet Passport (with our home address in the UK)
3 Year Rabies Vaccine (She transferred details of his British rabies details into the new Passport as well)
Worming tablet
His British AHC stamped for the return (Because the rabies injection she gave was less than 3 weeks before our return
for 67 euro's
The vet spoke good English
However when my wife rang to book the appointment we had to wait a bit whilst another lady came to the phone who spoke English

We went to the Vets in Arlon Belgium
Dr Coupez/ Dr Lambot
Route de Bastogne
310 - 6700 Arlon

We parked overnight in the aire behind the fire station (free electric hook up and toilet dump Water tap off for winter)
Vets is a 3 minute drive away .
We followed our sat Nav
However the vets is down a dead end street the other side of a dual carriageway.
Entrance to the dead end is from the first roundabout you come to.
Our sat nav took us past this and then got its knickers in a twist trying to direct us into making a U turn where no existed.

Easy Parking near the vets even for a biggish motorhome

All in all very easy

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013

If I were you I would get a passport earlier in the holiday rather than later to avoid any last minute panic! some vets will transfer the rabies vaccination details onto the passport some will insist on a fresh one which shouldn't be a problem,we put our home address in ours.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back