ETIAS & third country passport holder travelling with Schengen passport holder (1 Viewer)

Jan 18, 2019
Cuesta Blanca, Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exis
Exp
Since 2010
I think there are funsters, British passport holders, who travel with partners who are Schengen passport holders. This permits the 'third country' passport holder to bypass the 90/180 rules.

Once ETIAS is implemented, unless this situation has been factored in, the computer klaxon is likely to go off.

Anyone know if, and what, arrangements will be in place to allow a 'third country' passport holder back in Schengen with a Schengen passport holder, when the former has used the 90/180 allowance?

Hmmm ...

(asking for a friend)

BriannYe

LIFE MEMBER
May 4, 2017
Southampton, UK
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
what nationality is youe wife,, mine is Thai married 28 years but she can only stay in UK 6 months at a time ...so needs Schengen Visa when in EU
My wife is Chinese, she has Leave to Remain and a BRP for the UK. She still needs Schengen visa for Europe.

Upvote 0

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I think there are funsters, British passport holders, who travel with partners who are Schengen passport holders. This permits the 'third country' passport holder to bypass the 90/180 rules.

Once ETIAS is implemented, unless this situation has been factored in, the computer klaxon is likely to go off.

Anyone know if, and what, arrangements will be in place to allow a 'third country' passport holder back in Schengen with a Schengen passport holder, when the former has used the 90/180 allowance?

Hmmm ...

(asking for a friend)
We both keep asking the same question but the answers, like the rules, are anyone's guess.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Nigel Crompton
Jan 18, 2019
Cuesta Blanca, Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exis
Exp
Since 2010
The new system should make it work better as they will know when each person is in Schengen
But will a third country passport holder who has travelled for, say 80 consecutive days, with a Schengen passport holder, when subsequently entering Schengen solo will 'the system' recognise that the previous 80 days travel does not count towards the 90/180 allowance ?
Hmmmmm ?
THAT is the question.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
The new system should make it work better as they will know when each person is in Schengen

But how will the new system know when I’m travelling with my Irish wife, and not subject to the 90/180 regulations, and when I’m travelling solo and the 90/180 applies? My passport is stamped on entry and exit in both situations and likewise will be scanned and my movements logged in future.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
But how will the new system know when I’m travelling with my Irish wife, and not subject to the 90/180 regulations, and when I’m travelling solo and the 90/180 applies? My passport is stamped on entry and exit in both situations and likewise will be scanned and my movements logged in future.
Presumably the system will know if you have both entered Schengen at the same time and will count your days if she leaves Schengen before you as your allowance. It does sound more generous than we are to spouses of UK passport holders visiting the UK!

Upvote 0

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
I’m confused.com (easily done)

If I read it right ETIAS puts a US style visa waiver in place for Third Country entrants to Schengen (and / or) the EU. It will all be tracked in the EES?

What is the difference between EES and biometric passports? From what I’ve read EES will “replaced the old outdated stamp in the passport”.

My photo is already used in the eGate scanners in the UK and EU to prove I am me. So how will EES make it less open to abuse?

I’ve no problem with the system providing it is robust and implemented to allow rapid verification (more rapid than US airports, purleese) but how will it make it better?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I’m confused.com (easily done)

If I read it right ETIAS puts a US style visa waiver in place for Third Country entrants to Schengen (and / or) the EU. It will all be tracked in the EES?

What is the difference between EES and biometric passports? From what I’ve read EES will “replaced the old outdated stamp in the passport”.

My photo is already used in the eGate scanners in the UK and EU to prove I am me. So how will EES make it less open to abuse?

I’ve no problem with the system providing it is robust and implemented to allow rapid verification (more rapid than US airports, purleese) but how will it make it better?
I presume because it adds fingerprints to the data to make it more accurate. I don't know what the odds are of mistaken identity with the photo currently used for biometric analysis but adding fingerprints must make the odds of impersonating someone else really small. Also at present if the photographic gate refuses entry you visit a border guard in person if they have fingerprint data as well it will be an extra layer of security.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
will Schengen visa holders who have already provided biometric details have to have an EES
You will be pleased to know that,like us Brits resident in other eu states , your wife will not have to provide anything further as she has already done so for the visa.
Here;
If you need a visa to enter the Schengen area, your fingerprints will already be stored in the Visa Information System and will not be stored again in the EES.
from;

https://travel-europe.europa.eu/ees/general-information_en

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
You will be pleased to know that,like us Brits resident in other eu states , your wife will not have to provide anything further as she has already done so for the visa.
Here;
If you need a visa to enter the Schengen area, your fingerprints will already be stored in the Visa Information System and will not be stored again in the EES.
from;

Thanks for that link. I’ve trawled through it and the FAQs, and there’s scant reference to third-country nationals married to EU state citizens and how the practicalities will affect them.

However, in the text of the EES Regulation there is this:

2. On each entry of a third-country national subject to a visa requirement at a border at which the EES is operated, the following data shall be entered in an entry/exit record:

(a)the date and time of the entry;
(b)the border crossing point of the entry and the authority that authorised the entry;
(c)where applicable, the status of that third-country national indicating that he or she is a third-country national who:
(i)is a member of the family of a Union citizen to whom Directive 2004/38/EC applies or of a national of a third country enjoying the right of free movement equivalent to that of Union citizens under an agreement between the Union and its Member States, on the one hand, and a third country, on the other; and
(ii)does not hold a residence card pursuant to Directive 2004/38/EC or a residence permit pursuant to Regulation (EC) No 1030/2002;
So according to (c)(i) it appears that there will be a facility to have the information placed on our digital records at the point of entry to avoid being flagged as an overstayer if going over the 90/180 restriction. Marriage certificate at the ready then!

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Here;
from;

Richard

I have read your link above, amongst other information.

It is quite obvious that EU Nationals and EU Residents are exempt from both ETIAS and EES.

However there is no information as to which channel we should go through at emigration/immigration. Although exempt, if we have to queue with those who are not, there seems to be no advantage in being exempt.

I am thinking in particular of somewhere like Dover outbound from UK. If one has to queue behind non-exempt persons, particularly in the period of introduction of ETIAS when many UK citizens will have to be processed.

When are the authorities going to release information in order that we can plan trips without encountering huge delays, which would be unnecessary since we are exempt from ETIAS and EES?

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Richard

It is quite obvious that EU Nationals and EU Residents are exempt from both ETIAS and EES.

However there is no information as to which channel we should go through at emigration/immigration. Although exempt, if we have to queue with those who are not, there seems to be no advantage in being exempt.

I am thinking in particular of somewhere like Dover outbound from UK. If one has to queue behind non-exempt persons, particularly in the period of introduction of ETIAS when many UK citizens will have to be processed.

When are the authorities going to release information in order that we can plan trips without encountering huge delays, which would be unnecessary since we are exempt from ETIAS and EES?

And what happens with one exempt traveller and one third country national in the same Motorhome. Hoping my EU wife gives me some priority! 🤣 Fat chance! 🙃

Upvote 0

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Here;
from;

Intriguing, when we got our residency visa (only for the application not actual residency) they didn’t take my “biometrics”. But when I went for the actual permit application they took the lot. Not sure how good the “images” of my fingerprints are they had big red crosses under them……

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Richard

I don't think there will be Geoff. Even if you had your own lane & went through you still have to wait for all those who have to be processed?🤷‍♂️

Upvote 0

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
If you are right, is that not going to significantly deter EU tourists from visiting UK, if they have long queues to return to EU?
Only if it is worse for residents than “foreigners”. You expect queues at passport control, it happens everywhere.

Upvote 0
Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Can't say I'm looking forward to all this. it will be fine at airports, but how on earth will it work at car ferry terminals or the tunnel? If I'm correct then each person will need to go through facial or finger print recognition equipment? It's bad enough as it is at the moment with border control having to flick through passports to find in/out stamps.

Eurotunnel are building large covered areas at the English and French terminals which will house automated self check in booths so you have to park beside the booth leave you vehicle,scan passport,face and fingerprints and get back in vehicle,they say it will add 7mins to check in time 😂 Ferries are using iPads 😆

IMG_4538.jpeg

Upvote 0
Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
Eurotunnel are building large covered areas at the English and French terminals which will house automated self check in booths so you have to park beside the booth leave you vehicle,scan passport,face and fingerprints and get back in vehicle,they say it will add 7mins to check in time 😂 Ferries are using iPads 😆

View attachment 894540
7 minutes, they are talking nonsense, to put it politely!! So parents with three kids in a car will be able to get through in 7 minutes. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I'm usually a optimistic sort of bloke, but this sounds like chaos will reign. What about a coach load of our elderly citizens with mobility issues, or anybody with mobility issues come to that? I think the best plan will be to travel on the tunnel/ferry in the middle of the night at off peak times.

Upvote 0
Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
If you are right, is that not going to significantly deter EU tourists from visiting UK, if they have long queues to return to EU?
Good point. If you have the freedom to travel all over Europe without any border controls, then some folk may think twice before coming here? Certainly would put me off if I were coming for a short, few days, trip.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Good point. If you have the freedom to travel all over Europe without any border controls, then some folk may think twice before coming here? Certainly would put me off if I were coming for a short, few days, trip.
The logical thing would be to adopt a similar system here that integrates with the EU one so we have easy transport to the EU and them here together with increased security and the benefits that biometric id bring. Imagine the outcry from some quarters!

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
The logical thing would be to adopt a similar system here that integrates with the EU one so we have easy transport to the EU and them here together with increased security and the benefits that biometric id bring. Imagine the outcry from some quarters!

What you mean like full integrated almost borderless travel! 🤪 Sounds great to me! 😉

Upvote 0
Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
Nice line part way through says:
Yann Leriche told the BBC that travellers “will simply [get] out of their car, spend a few minutes on their kiosks, and go back to their car and continue their journey”.
Anyone who has travelled with children or physically challenged people will know that "simply get out of the car" is a joke.

Upvote 0
Apr 14, 2013
Tranmere Park
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2000
Can't say I'm looking forward to all this. it will be fine at airports, but how on earth will it work at car ferry terminals or the tunnel? If I'm correct then each person will need to go through facial or finger print recognition equipment? It's bad enough as it is at the moment with border control having to flick through passports to find in/out stamps.
There will be a ‘fudge’ !

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
just looking
But will a third country passport holder who has travelled for, say 80 consecutive days, with a Schengen passport holder, when subsequently entering Schengen solo will 'the system' recognise that the previous 80 days travel does not count towards the 90/180 allowance ?
Hmmmmm ?
THAT is the question.
I guess worst case we will need to carry a copy of previous travel tickets to prove we were with spouse….and be prepared to argue your case!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back