Etape villages, france (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
i know there are numerous other threads on France on here , but thought this deserved a new thread, as it would get lost.
Driving through France we had seen signs for these villages many times but never seemed to have time to try them, well this last time we were there we purposely drove into some of them, they are supposed to have everything you need in local commerce, and some sort of tourism, but we found them very dull and empty, couldn't even get a simple meal in one, and the others not really worth the bother, don't know if anyone found any different.
Did we just try the wrong ones?

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
When I lived in France I was told they provide parking and basic shops, usually a bakery and maybe butcher or charcuterie. Where a newer road's been built bypassing a village it's a way of pointing out there are businesses there--- a bit like a " local shop(s)" sign to some UK villages.

I don't remember ever visiting one or driving through one that was particularly touristy or had must see attractions.

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
As @Hollyberry states I think it is a sign denoting a detour to a town providing facilities ie fuel, garage, accommodation, basic shops etc. One of the English translations for Etape is 'stopover'

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
i know there are numerous other threads on France on here , but thought this deserved a new thread, as it would get lost.
Driving through France we had seen signs for these villages many times but never seemed to have time to try them, well this last time we were there we purposely drove into some of them, they are supposed to have everything you need in local commerce, and some sort of tourism, but we found them very dull and empty, couldn't even get a simple meal in one, and the others not really worth the bother, don't know if anyone found any different.
Did we just try the wrong ones?
I agree with the above posts. Etape villages are suitable for a stopover but are not listed because they are pretty.

If you want pretty visit the "Plus Beaux Villages de France" villages. We are currently working our way through them, in conjunction with "All the Aires" book.

I spent a few months looking for a good copy of "Plus Beaux..." in Britain, finding the available books either dull and boring, without illustrations, or very expensive.

On returning to France in 2016 I found a mint copy of the 2015 edition in full colour, at a Brocante, for 3euros. It's in French but no problem.

Brocantes and Puces are great for picking up bargains as well as for filling your home with things you didn't really need, but were cheap!:whistle:

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Regularly stop over at La Canourgue. It is only a couple of miles from the A75. Quaint enough village with 3/4 restaurants, take aways and bars. Costs nothing, grey dump, free water, usual bakery etc and if doing long distance then nice to wander round. Fits the requirement of free aire, safe and always will spend in the village even if it is only a quick drink.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Regularly stop over at La Canourgue. It is only a couple of miles from the A75. Quaint enough village with 3/4 restaurants, take aways and bars. Costs nothing, grey dump, free water, usual bakery etc and if doing long distance then nice to wander round. Fits the requirement of free aire, safe and always will spend in the village even if it is only a quick drink.
Please don't think I was knocking these villages , they are well ok for a stop but not what I expected, and thought we might just have picked the wrong ones.

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I notice that there is a new guide to 'Plus Beaux Villages de France', its quite pricey at €16.95 but its 272 pages, large format, colour photos and....its in English. Details Link Removed. Could be worth buying if you like touring France, and who doesn't?

Paul

Update - was just ordering the guide book when I noticed the €11.70 extra for delivery!

Update again - you can buy the book from Amazon for a not too extortionate ÂŁ16.95 with free Prime delivery.

Last edited:

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Please don't think I was knocking these villages , they are well ok for a stop but not what I expected, and thought we might just have picked the wrong ones.
Yes I guess they are just normal villages which see all the traffic flying by and want some of the action. For me it is stopping in a quiet safe town, with a selection of restaurants, bars and shops or stopping on a motorway or paying ÂŁ15 for a campsite and being restricted by arrival and leaving times. Our problem now is that we know the town and it is equidistant to where we come from and go to so we really need to try others. I guess they are more geared up to being a nice stopover rather than being able to entertain people for a day or two.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
You have inspired me @chaser the lure of the small villages has got me planning a trip for February

ordered the book mentioned above and another I found used on ebay 'undiscovered France' by Brigitte Tilleray, will be checking these sorts of locations out next month (y)(y)

will be checking back over your old threads, going to do the length of the canal du midi, from Bordeaux to Sete over 10 nights, I will start my own thread with our own plans and travels :)

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
You have inspired me @chaser the lure of the small villages has got me planning a trip for February

ordered the book mentioned above and another I found used on ebay 'undiscovered France' by Brigitte Tilleray, will be checking these sorts of locations out next month (y)(y)

will be checking back over your old threads, going to do the length of the canal du midi, from Bordeaux to Sete over 10 nights, I will start my own thread with our own plans and travels :)
Good can't wait! will it have foodie photos a la Mr Clark!? Those books sound interesting ,we are hoping to go for a month in the summer so like the quieter place to stop.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

Cheers (y), yeah the midi is easy , Aires all along it, we did it the other way, Julie is navigater though she knows where we went better than me , but must say we found some lovely places, and these villages are fine, just not we expected them to be.
Look forward to reading about your tour.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
La Canourgue is lovely. A great place to just mooch around and enjoy the old buildings with water rushing everywhere.
Also just off the A75 are Le Mazieu-Ville, Blesle and La Couvertoirade. Three other lovely old villages we have found off that road, all with aires and a very peaceful place to stop for the night.

Richard.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
La Canourgue is lovely. A great place to just mooch around and enjoy the old buildings with water rushing everywhere.
Also just off the A75 are Le Mazieu-Ville, Blesle and La Couvertoirade. Three other lovely old villages we have found off that road, all with aires and a very peaceful place to stop for the night.

Richard.
Yes we keep meaning to try some of the others but La C suits us perfectly.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back