Essential journeys?? (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2014
Opposite the Needles
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
14 years
We are all supposed to be making only essential journeys. During Lockdown 1 we could walk down the middle of our road without any fear traffic coming. Today, the only additional reasons for travel are -

going to or from work,
shopping for food,
going to or from caring for someone or
visiting someone a one person household in your bubble.

Traffic levels this afternoon are close to pre-covid levels - it is inconceivable to me that all this traffic is for essentail journies. What do others think?

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I am a big believer in people will self regulate according to the situation.

No way would I have mixed in early January. The rates were through the roof.

Would I now, having been vaccinated, having low rates and having had the virus, go to my Moms to do some essential work, yes I would.

Travelling in a car with your bubble is very very low risk, it has been a year, people carry on.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We are all supposed to be making only essential journeys. During Lockdown 1 we could walk down the middle of our road without any fear traffic coming. Today, the only additional reasons for travel are -

going to or from work,
shopping for food,

Traffic levels this afternoon are close to pre-covid levels - it is inconceivable to me that all this traffic is for essentail journies. What do others think?
Traffic round here up to pre-covid levels too. However I think garden centres, DIY shops etc open so I guess people not just shopping for food. I walked past a neighbour today, just arriving home in the car. “We’ve been to the garden centre”

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
1 in 480 chance of meeting someone with Covid now so if you're outdoors, or on your own in the car pretty good odds and everyone must be feeling the same and stir crazy.
Where do you get 1 in 480 from?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Rush hour traffic really light a fraction of normal but during the day I would say its heavier than normal times.
Town centres fairly empty of people but the beach crowded with people walking same with footpaths near towns

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I am a big believer in people will self regulate according to the situation.

No way would I have mixed in early January. The rates were through the roof.

Would I now, having been vaccinated, having low rates and having had the virus, go to my Moms to do some essential work, yes I would.

Travelling in a car with your bubble is very very low risk, it has been a year, people carry on.
With only 1.6% having had a second vaccine and only 32.6% having had the first, along with 10,000 people in Hospital and the Government still having relaxed the lock down and asking people not to mix. I know I won't be mixing anytime soon.

There are still 158 Deaths per day, that's over a thousand a week or the equivalent of having three and bit Jumbo jets passengers being killed.

Be Kind, stay safe, don't mix

Mar 28, 2019
DERBY
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo
Exp
since 2012
Had to pop to vets and opticians in next village this morning, hardly anywhere to park and people milling around like a bank holiday. Where is everyone going??

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3

going to or from work,
shopping for food,

It all depends on how you interpret essential. To me it means you WILL die if you don’t do it. Which is why the term essential should never have been used.
None of the journeys you mention will result in the person making those journeys dying if the journey is not made. Therefore they are not essential.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Families riding their bikes on the lanes to the beach and stopping chatting to others like nothings wrong down here... shops full groups in and out ....?

I don’t go out at weekends... it’s mad..
Crazy isn’t it? Almost makes one wonder why our numbers are dropping so fast doesn’t it?

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
The figures suggest the vaccine is working way way better than the government ever imagined . The kids are back to school on Monday so I expect lots of people were doing some last minute shopping . The general vibe is positive so I am not surprised the traffic is picking up .
I am glad to see the world starting to get back to normal 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Last year, March, when the weather was good. Lockdown was a bit of a novelty.

We worked through it, traffic was like going back to 1980.

Since around Christmas time here, locally around the suburbs of manchester, it’s been business as usual. But we have a lot of commerce in each few square miles. Near us, (no end of supermarkets (3 ASDA stores within 2 miles. One of them is 500 yards from the other). 3 screwfix, wickes, B&Q. The lot. Along with lots of industrial and commercial businesses.

Houses selling like crazy, big money houses being built or refurbished and so on.

But I went to The University Hospital in Manchester on Friday. It was like a ghost town.

Can’t wait to get back to something normal.

only the ground floor of the multi story was occupied.

1st upwards was like this

F044DB84-BDC3-409B-87AA-76C3B1D54A04.jpeg

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
The figures suggest the vaccine is working way way better than the government ever imagined . The kids are back to school on Monday so I expect lots of people were doing some last minute shopping . The general vibe is positive so I am not surprised the traffic is picking up .
I am glad to see the world starting to get back to normal 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
If people are staying away from each other and wearing masks washing hands etc that helps lower the numbers. Clearly the v vaccine will start to help reduce numbers and under 60’s have only just started their course of vaccines so theee is still a long way to go. You can still catch this virus and still be affected (long Covid) so until the majority of people have had their inoculation there is still a risk we can’t blow it now or we will be back in lockdown!

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
But I went to The University Hospital in Manchester on Friday. It was like a ghost town.

Can’t wait to get back to something normal.

only the ground floor of the multi story was occupied.

1st upwards was like this

View attachment 471383

Scandalous

So this is a hospital giving normal service?

What happened to all the patients?

Are they no longer ill?

And some think the NHS just needs more money and no reform...............yeah right

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
It’s pretty much back to normal round here. The queue at McDonald’s drive through was so long it was causing issues on the adjoining road.
An assistant in Tesco’s told Mrs C that lots of old folks who have had their jabs are now shopping daily.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Had to pop to vets and opticians in next village this morning, hardly anywhere to park and people milling around like a bank holiday. Where is everyone going??
Maybe they are popping to the vets and opticians. Or maybe the doctors,garden centre,bike shop,mot garage,Poundland,florist.

Jan 20, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
Since 2019
I think it’s mostly the over 70s out shopping and dare I say galavanting!!
Basically we’ve had our jabs so it’s two fingers to the rest of you young ones!
Disgraceful behaviour!!

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
'I'm alright Jack' mentality - they're either a) I've had the first jab or b) young, so either way feel invincible and don't think they can spread the virus.

Jan 20, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
Since 2019
I’d say 90% of the trouble makers are the over 70s who’ve had the jab!
I see them all skipping round the garden centres touching everything without a care in the world.
Don’t know about lockdown I think they need locking up!

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Our local Tip is open to the public, but I don't understand why driving there counts as an essential journey this time.

It was closed from 23 March 2020 for several months.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
We have been sticking to the rules but are looking forward to a trip to the beach we're fed up walking around the block, we have had the first jab and it will be 3 weeks on Thursday, I have an eye test booked for Friday, I need new glasses but I didn't want to risk an eye test until I have had the vaccine

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Sounds like a reversel of when lockdown started.

All the olduns hiding indoors whilst the youngsters (who thought only the elders could catch Covid) were out partying. 😁

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
I’d say 90% of the trouble makers are the over 70s who’ve had the jab!
I see them all skipping round the garden centres touching everything without a care in the world.
Don’t know about lockdown I think they need locking up!

How do you see them skipping round the garden centres ? Are you there also ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back