Engine ‘sticking’ when driving (1 Viewer)

davidbuckett

Free Member
Jul 13, 2021
Funster No
MH
peouget boxer
I have an 04 Peugeot boxer van and just recently on longer journeys the engine ‘sticks’ for about 5secs where the revs and speed stay the same but there is no acceleration, it then resolves itself. It has happened at slower speeds and at faster speeds. All other dash indicators are normal and it happens after about 60 miles and started just once in a 100mile journey but it’s now happening about 3 times each time a do a long journey. Any ideas?

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Diesel presumably?
Have you had it checked by a dealer?
Intermittent blockage in the fuel filter?
Throttle control rod/cable sticking?
Automatic transmission lazy to change up/down?

Dunno.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Maybe try changing the fuel filter first and see if that helps. I’m sure someone who is more mechanically minded than I am will come along with suggestions.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Griff097

LIFE MEMBER
May 19, 2021
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Is the pedal/cable sticking, can you press the clutch in and see or feel if the accelerator jumps up a bit as it frees?

Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
Not sure what you mean, If the revs stay the same there will be no acceleration. Do you mean the revs don't increase if you put your foot down? Not sure if yours will be fly by wire, meaning it's a sensor on the accelerator rather than a direct connection to the throttle body. It could be that playing up.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
My only other thought is could it be something to do with the cruise control? Does it have it?

Or,going back to mechanical possibilities and the fuel supply,does that engine have a fuel pump that’s faulty? Might be a stupid question but worth asking someone who knows……your local garage?

OP. davidbuckett have you resolved the problem………let us know!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
If you have ruled out a fuel supply issue, as in replaced the fuel filter and checked supply pressure, ruling out the pick up pump, then I would suggest a sticking throttle body or bad sensor

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Not sure if yours will be fly by
If it is I would suspect an intermittent fault there more than fuel shortage.
There would be a modern potentiometer at the pedal and stepper motor at the pump... Either could have a glitch.
A blocked filter or failing pump would cause it all the time, not just now and then.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I had an issue with my Mass Air Flow sensor that caused similar problems. It was fine most of the time, but then, normally under acceleration, it would feel like it was being choked and breathless for a few seconds. The engine also ran a bit rough at idle and I got slightly worse MPG. I replaced the MAF and it cured the issue. But when taking it to bits I found the electrical connector probably wasn't in properly and there was water in the pins. I might have got away with just cleaning the connector.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back