Electrics in East Anglia (1 Viewer)

Feb 18, 2019
East Anglia, UK
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner 2001
Exp
Can anyone recommend someone in East Anglia or within striking distance who can take care of some minor electrical problems and fit a big Victron B2B charger?

Our 2001 Clou is charging very slowly when we drive; the chassis alternator is good for 80A so I'd like to use it.

We're between Bremen and Hamburg for the next couple of days, until we head for the ferry, so somewhere around there might work too.

Might take a look at the antiquated solar setup at the same time, although it's too late for this year.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
So that’s actually three jobs?

You don’t say what van you have...that might help others to name dealers/workshops in your locality. Whereabouts in E. Anglia? :giggle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Niesmann+Bischoff Clou 2001 on a truck chassis so 24v alternator but might have an auxiliary 12v one as well, similar truck to jongood if you have been in on the discussion re his charging system and options.

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
Another vote for Alde at Wellingborough, lovely people to deal with.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Can anyone recommend someone in East Anglia or within striking distance who can take care of some minor electrical problems and fit a big Victron B2B charger?

Our 2001 Clou is charging very slowly when we drive; the chassis alternator is good for 80A so I'd like to use it.

We're between Bremen and Hamburg for the next couple of days, until we head for the ferry, so somewhere around there might work too.

Might take a look at the antiquated solar setup at the same time, although it's too late for this year.

Hi John

have a look at my thread here https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...eisure-batteries-without-cooking-them.230206/

I have the dual alternator setup, but found the 12 volt one ( lower one on mine) had a broken cable so was only getting 28 amps, now fixed and I'm getting 41 amps. My solar is ancient and producing b******* all so I'm replacing all of it I reckon I can get 450 amps on where my current 240 ( but very old set up is) and I'm changing the solar regs from the 1 x pwm to 2 x mppt oh and updating the wiring from them which is mostly 2.5mm with joins in them. I planning to go up to 6mm.

OP
OP
John Russell
Feb 18, 2019
East Anglia, UK
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner 2001
Exp
Great, thanks guys, Wellingborough it is for Alde.

Electrics could be anywhere within reasonable travelling distance of Cambridgeshire.

I'm trying to get the van ready for a January ski trip, if that's possible.

jongood I had a read of your thread, lots of info thanks.

I may put some more solar in for the summer, present setup is 220W and probably original.

I have a 3.6kW generator which will be more use in winter but needs its carburetor cleaned and new filters. After that I hope it'll run.

My 2001 Clou relies on the single Man 24V 80A alternator according to the pricelist. It was specc'ed with Gel batteries, and now has a newish pair of 240Ah AGM batteries which charge very slowly when driving. And are gradually going down without hookup.

On idle the control panel actually shows around 2A increase in current output. :rolleyes:

Hence the need for B2B - I meant to say a Votronic B2B charger. 50-60A seems about right.

I'll need to look at the cabling as it wasn't built with 60A in mind. So probably easier to get a hand with that as I don't have indoor storage.

And work out which LED bulbs can replace all the various halogens.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I would think that the biggest problem is it’s only 4 weeks today to Xmas eve and finding someone with workshop time before that will be hard.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I may put some more solar in for the summer, present setup is 220W and probably original. Definitely won't be doing much now

I have a 3.6kW generator which will be more use in winter but needs its carburetor cleaned and new filters. After that I hope it'll run. How is it connected to the batteries John

My 2001 Clou relies on the single Man 24V 80A alternator according to the pricelist. It was specc'ed with Gel batteries, and now has a newish pair of 240Ah AGM batteries which charge very slowly when driving. And are gradually going down without hookup.

Are you sure about this? 24volt 80ah is a bit of a beast? 1.9 kws ? My 24volt alternator is much smaller. funflair can give you a link to the original specs But clearly its not working properly.

On idle the control panel actually shows around 2A increase in current output. :rolleyes:

Hence the need for B2B - I meant to say a Votronic B2B charger. 50-60A seems about right. I was considering this but fixing the alternator gave the same result.

I'll need to look at the cabling as it wasn't built with 60A in mind. So probably easier to get a hand with that as I don't have indoor storage.

And work out which LED bulbs can replace all the various halogens. I've replaced quite a lot of mine with LED tape
[/QUOTE]

I messed up the quote so my answers are in blue. Biggest question is are you enjoying it?

Jon

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I may put some more solar in for the summer, present setup is 220W and probably original. Definitely won't be doing much now

I have a 3.6kW generator which will be more use in winter but needs its carburetor cleaned and new filters. After that I hope it'll run. How is it connected to the batteries John

Are you sure about this? 24volt 80ah is a bit of a beast? 1.9 kws ? My 24volt alternator is much smaller. funflair can give you a link to the original specs But clearly its not working properly.

Hence the need for B2B - I meant to say a Votronic B2B charger. 50-60A seems about right. I was considering this but fixing the alternator gave the same result.

And work out which LED bulbs can replace all the various halogens. I've replaced quite a lot of mine with LED tape

I messed up the quote so my answers are in blue. Biggest question is are you enjoying it?

Jon
[/QUOTE]
Looks like that is right for the alternator Jon,

Screenshot 2020-11-18 at 20.36.37.png

I think you have this link John Russell price list in DM and € https://magazine.camperonline.it/cataloghi/N+B-Clou-Preisliste-2001.pdf

OP
OP
John Russell
Feb 18, 2019
East Anglia, UK
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner 2001
Exp
jongood I'm embarrassed to say I haven't tracked down any charger fed by the generator. The generator's 240v output goes under the chassis in the general direction of the RCD.

But I didn't find a 240v charger yet. How does yours work?

A bit more work with the control panel today shows that the alternator is delivering around 13.0-13.2V and around 24A to the leisure batteries when driving.

Today's three hours drive charged the leisure batteries.

Not sure how the alternator's voltage gets from 28V to 13V.

How am I enjoying it? It's a small home from home, best when parked.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
<Broken link removed> who has a workshop at Stalham I believe but also does mobile work. Installed gas for me and Hab check in the past, worth an enquiry on the electrics.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
jongood I'm embarrassed to say I haven't tracked down any charger fed by the generator. The generator's 240v output goes under the chassis in the general direction of the RCD.

A bit more work with the control panel today shows that the alternator is delivering around 13.0-13.2V and around 24A to the leisure batteries when driving.

Ive got a switch inside the wardrobe where you turn over from generator to EHU. I'm struggling to get a starter motor for my generator so I'm not sure whether it charges the batteries as well as running the mains items.

My question was more where does the positive lead to operate the starter motor of the generator go? Mine was disconnected when I got it but it definitley only reached as far as the chassis batteries which would suggest it was half-tapped.

I've got 2 chargers for the 12 volt and one for the 24v above the batteries in the garage.

I would imagine its got a voltage dropper somewhere to get it down from 24v to 12v so a B2B probably would be a good idea.

There is an awful lot of cable inside them and some quite trick items so not easy to work out what goes to where but on the plus side most of it is marked.

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
My local Motorhome repair place uses these people for complex electrical work. I've not tried them, but if you have a complex issue it may be worth talking to them ....

Cheers

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007

That last sentence sounds like you don't enjoy driving it much?

OP
OP
John Russell
Feb 18, 2019
East Anglia, UK
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner 2001
Exp
Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll give them a call.

jongood By chance I found to 24V 5A battery charger and a CBE 2035 switched-mode 230 to 12V 35A battery charger under the RH kitchen cabinet. Both offer gel or lead-acid settings, and are set to gel. Not sure how that will cope with my AGM leisure batteries but seems to be working now, at least charging at 25A when driving.

I also found a Happich remote-locking switch control under the LH cabinet, but there isn't a remote key.

CazPaul Given the choice I'd rather put my feet up with a cup of coffee than drive. :cool:

It is a vague around the centre and has a distinct rightward drift which is surely down to the tracking. I'm taking it to LAS for its MoT and have asked them to take a look at this.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
That last sentence sounds like you don't enjoy driving it much?
I love driving mine. First trip was back from Luxembourg to Shrewsbury 500 miles in one day. Mind you mine has got full air and air seats and surprisingly quiet.

OP
OP
John Russell
Feb 18, 2019
East Anglia, UK
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner 2001
Exp
Air sounds good, leaf suspension on mine is ok, rolls a bit on corners, air no doubt better.

Air seats are a work in progress, and it's a bit rattly. Usually going quite sedately 50mph on motorways, slightly slower on A roads; a lot of Polish and ex-DDR 'major' roads aren't great. Getting around 18mpg.

Hope to get a look at yours sometime.

OP
OP
John Russell
Feb 18, 2019
East Anglia, UK
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner 2001
Exp
jongood Did you find out any more about your 12V alternator?

I'm hoping the 12V habitation supply is regulated in some way as I'd like to plug in a 12V router.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
jongood Did you find out any more about your 12V alternator?

I'm hoping the 12V habitation supply is regulated in some way as I'd like to plug in a 12V router.

It looks like mine is different to yours John. I've fixed the connections to my 12 volt alternator and its now producing about 40 amps, its stated capability is 65 so I'm guessing 15 is going to the Fridge Freezer and I imagine the other 10 is lost in age/wiring.

I'm planning to bypass a fair bit of the CBE stuff with the Votronic regulators, battery monitor, display and bluetooth but keeping the original display by the side of the new one because it still perform some functions.

The N&B UK club used to have a few meetings a year but sadly a couple of people fell out and it became a bit fractured but the forum is still going or the facebook page as well as this of course

OP
OP
John Russell
Feb 18, 2019
East Anglia, UK
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner 2001
Exp
Yes it does look different.

With 24A on the control panel when we drive at least it's charging respectably rather than struggling to keep up. Let me know how it goes with the Votronics etc as I'm thinking of upping the electrics, although that's less urgent now it is functional.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Yes it does look different.

With 24A on the control panel when we drive at least it's charging respectably rather than struggling to keep up. Let me know how it goes with the Votronics etc as I'm thinking of upping the electrics, although that's less urgent now it is functional.
Hi John, how are you getting away with travelling back so slowly? Are you wilding everywhere?

I've just got my first new Solar panel on. I've decided to ditch the 2 x 120 Old school panels with
2.5mm cables and a PWM regulator that were on it from new. I going for 2 x 185 1 x130 and 1x 100 with 2 Votronic MP350 regulators. Its a bit annoying that the 185 panels I've bought to replace the 120s are 10mm longer than they are supposed to be so I'm having to modify the brackets.

Personally I wouldnt be happy with 24A charging because it would take a long time to bring back a low battery bank but it does depend on how you want to use it. With only one alternator a B2B would probably make a big difference because it cons the alternator into sending more to the Hab batteries.

OP
OP
John Russell
Feb 18, 2019
East Anglia, UK
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner 2001
Exp
Late reply, sorry!

We came back quite slowly, stopped in free sites, mostly wild, some provided by local authorities. Enjoyed the journey and a good shakedown for the van.

It was pretty quiet.

After we crossed to Harwich it was more difficult to find sites, and with campsites closed, not clear where to empty tanks.

I'd planned to go over to LAS in Northampton straightaway but couldn't due to a local road closure. We spent some time around Orford and Southwold, then home to complete quarantine.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back