lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Need to invest in a second cable as we gave our spare away with last van, I was thinking of just buying the plug and socket and making one myself. What cable do you recommend and where is best place to buy it.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
I wonder if the individual parts will cost as much less than a mass produced EHU cable.
But it is a simple assembly task.

Are you making one or two at different lenghts?

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
ball park price Plug
" " " Socket

cable price I didn't find quickly

edit: eventually: 1.5mm2
2.5mm2

But neither are blue/orange coloured :eek:

edit: looking at the cable prices, you'll need to find a shop that will sell by the meter rather than a reel.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2018
Funster No
MH
Self build
Exp
Since 2009
I used blue arctic cable, it is a lot easier to coil, as it is not as stiff as the orange cable

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
If you are going down the DIY route, may I suggest you make two sets up one around 10m and the other 15m. As we know the standard bought cable is 25m in length. I don't know about you but I have on very few occasions needed a full 25m So you spend time unrolling and laying out a great length than you need. By having the two lengths I pick and choose which would be ideal, When needed to go the full 25m joining both together gets you there.

This method saves having loads of cable running around.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Do you have a waterproof cover for the join?
I forget what that part name is....

your link is for non waterproof connectors, I prefer the ones with glanded cable entries, virtually submersible

Can only save a few pennies, but standard issue shop leads have the sleeved cable entries with virtually no seal 😳

Last edited:

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Do you have a waterproof cover for the join?
I forget what that part name is....

I got them so long ago I can't help you with the brand. I recall buying them from a caravan accessory shop and they were of quality. It was only the two, male and female connections as I already had the two on the 25m lead.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Thanks.
There's a waterproof box like case for the join. I saw it mentioned on the forum - but I didn't see a need then! :eek: :)

Edit: Doh!! The one time I should've quoted what I was replying too.... :(

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
your link is for non waterproof connectors, I prefer the ones with glanded cable entries, virtually submersible

Can only save a few pennies, but standard issue shop leads have the sleeved cable entries with virtually no seal 😳
They've both got IP44 rating. And it was a ball park figure.
IP67 rating is about twice the price.

Last edited:

kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
If you are going down the DIY route, may I suggest you make two sets up one around 10m and the other 15m. As we know the standard bought cable is 25m in length. I don't know about you but I have on very few occasions needed a full 25m So you spend time unrolling and laying out a great length than you need. By having the two lengths I pick and choose which would be ideal, When needed to go the full 25m joining both together gets you there.

This method saves having loads of cable running around.
Did the same when in Estartit a few years back,bought 20 metres of cable + connectors,( might seem a lot of cable but not when on some continental campsites )easy to do.

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Thanks for the replies.
DavidG58 wasn’t sure on price difference so that’s why I’m having a wee investigation, I won’t do it to save a pound just a few 😂
PJGWiltshire i done that with my last cable and still have a 10m cable and gave the 15 away with last van.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I have 3. In the `van, (actually about 5 or 6 but that is from needing site power when self building) 2 are Arctic Cable and very heavy. The short(est) one is one I accidently severed when Self Building and about 12M. The Arctic cable stays flexible even at Temperatures below Zero C. And Has Virtually submersible ends. However they cost more than £40 each and that was 1999 Prices. Blue "Arctic" rated cable can be had for around £40/25M. With Quality Glanded Fittings costing up to £15 each!.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
They've both got IP44 rating. And it was a ball park figure.
IP67 rating is about twice the price.
I had this great idea to use waterproof (IP67) plugs and sockets (the ones with the screw fixing with waterproof gasket), so I bought one of each, and fitted them onto the cable. Then discovered the waterproof plug won't fit in the MH inlet :banghead:

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I had this great idea to use waterproof (IP67) plugs and sockets (the ones with the screw fixing with waterproof gasket), so I bought one of each, and fitted them onto the cable. Then discovered the waterproof plug won't fit in the MH inlet :banghead:
I weatherproof ours by going to Spain 🤣

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I don't use EHU very often but when I have 25m is rarely long enough so I have a 25m & a 15m often still not enough both mine are 1.5mm, 2.5mm is far too heavy to mess about with.
I've noticed in Continental dealers most leads for sale are 50m, 1.5mm black.

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
Got 25m 2.5mm orange with the van and bought 10m 2.5mm orange from amazon worked out a lot cheaper than making my own.
Actually used the 10m 4 times recently.

Jan 10, 2015
East sussex
Funster No
MH
2002 Eura mobile
Exp
Since 2014
During our many & varied trips we have found some variation of electric outlets Both on aires & sites.
mostly over the water Not In the U.K. I should add.

Our solution was to buy an eu cable (30m ?) reel in brico In france, it has four outlets. (25e)
the connector to the van (2m) has standard Van plug on one end & eu Ext plug on other which is connected to the cable reel & tucked under van.
The lose end of The reel has two pin ext eu plug with earth socket & side earth connector. This copes with most variations of eu supply, With earth pin, no earth, side earth & reversed polarity Etc.
we Also currently have 3 short (30cm) adaptors. One For U.K. sites, one U.K. 13a plug (for home or other driveways) & another Variation Round type (Bigger plug) we used in serbia(?) all have an external Eu socket to connect to the extension reel Plug. Other variations we have borrowed From sites & it wasn’t worth getting our own.

we have never tripped out or had problems using this method.

we also carry Tucked away somewhere another eu extension lead just Incase. Some sockets can be a VERY long way away.

for external power (Lights & our Lidl’s rotisserie cooker etc) there are spare sockets under the van.

it works for us

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back