Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 22, 2020
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
3 years and learning!
Can anyone recommend a genuinely good quality flush hook up box as fitted to the side of your van, the bit where your hook up cable plugs in, having replaced mine due to poor pin connections "fizzing" and ultimately discolouring the pin and plastic about 2 years ago I find I have got to do it again!
Just want a good quality part rather than finding yet again it's Chinese cr.p

Recommendations appreciated.

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
If I were you I'd check the tightness of all connections in the lead and van socket as this usually is what creates the problem.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Depends which type you want,pays your money and make your choice! we have the second type and put the rt angle plug on the end of the cable so it hangs straight down.

5BEE0BEB-56F4-4B85-99D6-DE3605C5A1D4.jpeg8D8A5452-98DD-4A11-B33B-E1D30A697C96.png49366A70-CFF3-4E9D-BFA1-C43DA11BFD15.jpeg

Stealaway

Free Member
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
having replaced mine due to poor pin connections "fizzing" and ultimately discolouring the pin and plastic about 2 years ago I find I have got to do it again!
Do you know how many amps you are pulling down the EHU lead?
Could the pins in lead be faulty?

Selection here

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Can anyone recommend a genuinely good quality flush hook up box as fitted to the side of your van, the bit where your hook up cable plugs in, having replaced mine due to poor pin connections "fizzing" and ultimately discolouring the pin and plastic about 2 years ago I find I have got to do it again!
Just want a good quality part rather than finding yet again it's Chinese cr.p

Recommendations appreciated.

Sounds like the socket on the EHU lead is quite possibly damaged.
I'd be recommend the Commando socket on the EHU lead as well as the plug on the van.

OP
OP
dorkins
Aug 22, 2020
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
3 years and learning!
If I were you I'd check the tightness of all connections in the lead and van socket as this usually is what creates the problem.

Depends which type you want,pays your money and make your choice! we have the second type and put the rt angle plug on the end of the cable so it hangs straight down.

View attachment 722964View attachment 722965View attachment 722966

Do you know how many amps you are pulling down the EHU lead?
Could the pins in lead be faulty?

Selection here

Sounds like the socket on the EHU lead is quite possibly damaged.
I'd be recommend the Commando socket on the EHU lead as well as the plug on the van.
Thanks to all,
xsparks: When the first replacement was done all was tight, I don't like the lead socket being straight and think this has been part of the problem, there is a fair bit of cable weight! I ordered a right angled plug and that was exactly what I received, not a right angled socket as required, too much haste and not enough thought!

rb62: Can you tell me where you sourced the right angled plug (socket?)

Stealaway: i only use the ehu for the charger at home so no real amps being drawn, closer inspection of the ehu cable connection does indicate that this has eroded inside the connector so will replace this. Couldn't get your link to work, possibly this listing is no longer available.

Gizmouk: I'll check out Commando stuff.

thanks again to all

Stealaway

Free Member
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Thanks to all,
xsparks: When the first replacement was done all was tight, I don't like the lead socket being straight and think this has been part of the problem, there is a fair bit of cable weight! I ordered a right angled plug and that was exactly what I received, not a right angled socket as required, too much haste and not enough thought!

Stealaway: i only use the ehu for the charger at home so no real amps being drawn, closer inspection of the ehu cable connection does indicate that this has eroded inside the connector so will replace this. Couldn't get your link to work, possibly this listing is no longer available.

thanks again to all
It works fine for me

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Thanks to all,

thanks again to all
£9.95 delivered

OP
OP
dorkins
Aug 22, 2020
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
3 years and learning!
It works fine for me

£9.95 delivered
Cheers, will take a look.

OP
OP
dorkins
Aug 22, 2020
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
3 years and learning!

View attachment 722964View attachment 722965View attachment 722966

Unfortunately I have returned to this thread with a warning which I feel is necessary, rb62 you are quite right with your comment re pays your money etc, having struggled a bit to find a 90 deg socket as in the picture, I broke my own rule on never using ebay again and purchased the 90 deg socket, what a piece of crap! no criticism rb62 as you were being helpful by showing what's available not recommending, the wiring into this socket is connected by trapping the wire strands under a screw head splaying and twisting them as you tighten the screw, the socket has a CE mark on a sticky label which apparently is legal but you can buy these online! The socket is actually supplied by Pennine Leisure Supplies to the ebay seller JNC camping under the brand of Power Part Products, I emailed Pennine Leisure Supplies and queried the safety of this socket and received the following response:

"Thank you for your feedback.

We would like to reassure you that our product is fit for purpose and is supplied to various OEM’s.

With over 10’000 pieces supplied per year as well as the aftersales market without issue.

We have the relevant certification for the EN 60309 plug and coupler which was conducted by an

independent certification house TUV.

Regarding the CE label it states that the ink has to be indelible and not rub off over time which it is."

This may well be the case but I personally would not use this in my motorhome as I do not think it safe and feel it right to flag up my concerns in this post.

I eventually found one on Amazon, I was a bit dubious as to what this one would be like, it arrived and was very much heavier and better quality, the wires were entered into the little "tubes" as we are familiar with and the strands are contained within the tubes as the screws are tightened, it had a CE mark again on a label but also moulded into the plastic.

Just saying

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
There is a simple solution. Encapsulate each of the conductors in a bootlace ferule, which you crimp on. Then use these under the screw terminals. Sadly you are not local or I would fit the plug for you using some

OP
OP
dorkins
Aug 22, 2020
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
3 years and learning!
I appreciate your offer and did actually think of this but decided the whole design and quality was not what I wanted, I have returned it and now fitted the Amazon one, with both in hand to compare there is really no comparison, the Amazon one was £4 more, I am of the age where I am constantly disappointed with quality that suppliers seem to think is acceptable, I get that this is driven by consumer demand to cut costs but I do like to be given the choice but genuine quality manufacturers are becoming more difficult to find - in my opinion! :Smile:

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
There is a simple solution. Encapsulate each of the conductors in a bootlace ferule, which you crimp on. Then use these under the screw terminals.
Definitely a good idea for stranded cables, makes a professional job of it. As it happens, Lidl have a box of assorted bootlace ferrules with a crimp tool, available this week.

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Lidl are selling those bootlace crimps and tool. Works well.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Lidl are selling those bootlace crimps and tool. Works well.
I saw those in Lidl this week, but they are the shielded version with a plastic insulator that goes over the outer sheath. But you can put the tool over the wire, feed the ferule on backwards. Then crimp and cut off the plastic part. This leaves just the brass tube crimped over the strands, like a standard bootlace ferule. We were using those on MOD contracts years ago and they are a great solution. Especially where vibration could accelerate the loosening of a screw terminal, like when used in a vehicle. With most screw type terminals, the copper strands are compressed and displace a bit as tightened

One of my pet hates though is seeing the end strands soldered and then compressed in a screw down terminal. Yes it appears to work, but will fail fairly quickly. Unlike a proper crimp that will remain tight

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back