ECU Problem Reading 1100v aparently garage say after van went in to have a new turbo fitted ??? (1 Viewer)

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
The history is its a 2010 Renault master 2.3 turbo D
Dash lights came up and poor power when driving (not limp mode) Injection Fault OB reader said Turbo boost problem , Turbo boost pressure switch replaced but did not fix the problem .
2 garages said Turbo needs to be replaced.
booked it back with my local garage and supplied my own Turbo from Essex Turbos.
I expected to collect following day .

I phoned them and they said they cannot clear the engine management lights and called in an expert who spent a couple of hrs trying to clear it (apparently) Been told theres a problem with the ECU 5v system.

I dont know about these things.
ECU has been sent away and i dont know the outcome
I dont know whos paying or the cost
I havent been informed whos fault it was if any
Phoned the garage today as they never phone me and the manager was there however the guy who changed the Turbo answered the phone but didnt want to talk about it just said i do as i am told please see manager on monday
Can anyone throw any light on these things or advise
Thankyou in advance

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
Had a similar problem with my 2008 master in 2010, done all the usual sensors first as that’s the cheapest option, but the was still there intermittently, again done all the obvious stuff, intercooler/ Hoses and even fitted a turbo boost gauge to monitor it,
Took the Turbo off, it’s A Garret VVT type that are prone to glogging up if not used regularly,
Clean it internally and she was great for 3 Months then started to get overboost fault codes again,
So new Turbo fitted from Turbo Technics Nottingham and she has been perfect since,
It’s a long way of saying you usually tackle the simple stuff first (cheapest) then progress to the more expensive if the Fault remains, usually the ECU nowadays are remarkably robust so you would normally only suspect a fault only after doing all the Obvious stuff that you have done,
Tracing a wiring fault to an ECU is very time consuming and worse still if it’s a dry joint or corrosion inside an ECU,
I think the garage has done its best under the circumstances and should give you a discount for the overall labour rates but would have to change you for any ECU wiring work that may be necessary,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
PeterCarole29

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
Thanks for your reply
Do you know if cutting through wire can cause a ECU problem only clutching at straws I have been able to see under the van
When they showed me my old Turbo he said it was blowing at the gasket he quickly backtracked when I said it could have been the cause all along and maybe the turbos ok
I didn’t mind as the new turbo was a very fair price at £325 and there labour was £280
I knowticed the turbo bolts had been angle ground through
A very tight space?

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
It’s a bloody difficult job🤬especially as mine is an A class,
yes a wire that has rubbed through or cut can create all sorts of faults for the ECU to throw up, these are concealed in a harness and practically impossible to see if damage,
You have upwards of 80 wires going to the ECU, some 5v some 12v many earths and all the sensor wires, any of them being damaged will cause you problems,
You need a good auto electrician to check it out, most garages will know of one as very few have the equipment or expertise to do that kind of work In house,

OP
OP
PeterCarole29

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years

1100v? That cannot be right. Who told you that?
That’s what the garage said
I have a good knowledge of vans but thought that a load of rubbish
I didn’t say anything at the time as I have my hands tied untill I know the outcome I am hoping to be well armed with info before I hear from them or I go for my mot on Thursday for our self build camper

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
I can only speak for our Ford Transit, but if a wire shorts to ground or open-circuits the PMC (ECU) can see that as a wiring fault and will report it as that fault ie, sensor A open circuit.

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
3+
Surely they should have informed you of any additional cost so that you could agree it?

OP
OP
PeterCarole29

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
Surely they should have informed you of any additional cost so that you could agree
I have been going there 25yrs, They are reasonable priced tyre and exhauste and general stuff
Yes i would have liked to have been informed but maybe they dont know the cost and wont charge for all the work .
If i march in demanding before i know the score it might be cutting my nose to spite my face sort of thing
I will just have to wait and hopefully find out more info about ECUs before i get a phone call

OP
OP
PeterCarole29

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
An update
After having the following done , a map sensor, Turbo boost pressure switch, new turbo, ECU sent away and checked,
EGR valve changed but changed back. Then EGR valve blanked and re mapped. Then blank removed and mapped back to how it was. got the van back and they say they cant fix it.

I have now just found the bulb to bring the fuel up from the tank is perished and split ,the new filter i put in 3 weeks ago clogged with black stuff from the bulb hand pump. Now replaced but wonder if because the hand pump was perished and had no one way valve working could this have caused damage to something on the fuel side to cause loss off power

Sue and Rick

Free Member
Apr 20, 2022
Brighouse, UK
Funster No
MH
Autoquest 155 2016
Exp
Since 2020
Maybe small rubber bits in high pressure pump and injectors. Oh dear.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
An update
After having the following done , a map sensor, Turbo boost pressure switch, new turbo, ECU sent away and checked,
EGR valve changed but changed back. Then EGR valve blanked and re mapped. Then blank removed and mapped back to how it was. got the van back and they say they cant fix it.

I have now just found the bulb to bring the fuel up from the tank is perished and split ,the new filter i put in 3 weeks ago clogged with black stuff from the bulb hand pump. Now replaced but wonder if because the hand pump was perished and had no one way valve working could this have caused damage to something on the fuel side to cause loss off power

If I am reading this right, the garage just changed one thing after another, at your expense, then decided they couldn't fix it ? Did they offer to refund any of the cash you had spent ?

Not sure what you mean by a bulb in the fuel line ? But if you have put in a new fuel filter, (which lasted three weeks before being clogged) what was the state of the one which you took out to put the new one in, was it clogged ?

Apart from the above, have you checked the air pipes between the air intake and the turbo, then the pipes after the turbo through the intercooler (check that for damage as well) to the inlet manifold. A split or hole in any of those pipes could cause your problems.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Now replaced but wonder if because the hand pump was perished and had no one way valve working could this have caused damage to something on the fuel side to cause loss off power
yes a blocked fuel filter will cause lack of power issues. + the hand pump bulb deteriorating will allow air in

OP
OP
PeterCarole29

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
If I am reading this right, the garage just changed one thing after another, at your expense, then decided they couldn't fix it ? Did they offer to refund any of the cash you had spent ?

Not sure what you mean by a bulb in the fuel line ? But if you have put in a new fuel filter, (which lasted three weeks before being clogged) what was the state of the one which you took out to put the new one in, was it clogged ?

Apart from the above, have you checked the air pipes between the air intake and the turbo, then the pipes after the turbo through the i
I originally asked the garage to do a pressure check check on the turbo piping they said they have done it but i am not sure
ntercooler (check that for damage as well) to the inlet manifold. A split or hole in any of those pipes could cause your problems.
In fairness to the garage they only charged me £260 labour which included oil and oil filter for changing the turbo ,
I say in fairness but i am not sure it was necessary turbo was £325 from Essex Turbos
The next step i will look for a garage to do a smoke test and also discuss options of fuel side

Unless theres anything else i can do ?

OP
OP
PeterCarole29

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
yes a blocked fuel filter will cause lack of power issues. + the hand pump bulb deteriorating will allow air in
I have replaced it all now ,Strangely it always started well and still does
The RAC yesterday cleared the Turbo boost fault codes , It still lacks power but codes havent come back but i havent stuck my foot down yet to see. I do have another van that runs perfect that has the same parts but a bit reluctant to start swopping things over ,I had thought that maybe somethings been missed

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
1100v? That cannot be right. Who told you that?
Yes it can. The electronics usually measures voltage by comparing it to a known voltage reference diode. So if for example the diode is 2.5 V, then something at 5V will be 2 times the reference, ie 2 x 2.5V.

If the reference has failed, it might be down at 2.5 millivolts instead of 2.5V. so something at 5V will register as being 2000 times bigger. The calculation section doesn't know about this, and still thinks the reference is at 2.5V, so it just announces that the voltage is now 5000V.

OP
OP
PeterCarole29

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
Yes it can. The electronics usually measures voltage by comparing it to a known voltage reference diode. So if for example the diode is 2.5 V, then something at 5V will be 2 times the reference, ie 2 x 2.5V.

If the reference has failed, it might be down at 2.5 millivolts instead of 2.5V. so something at 5V will register as being 2000 times bigger. The calculation section doesn't know about this, and still thinks the reference is at 2.5V, so it just announces that the voltage is now 5000V.
In your experience what fault causes this type of reading ie faulty part,

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.

Agreed, but my point was that at a true 1100v on a test meter something would've already melted/burned out.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
In your experience what fault causes this type of reading ie faulty part,
In the olden days the reference diode would be a distinct part soldered on a PCB, but nowadays it will be integrated into 'the chip' that is part of the ECU. I'm not saying that's the problem, I was just pointing out a possible way that you can get nonsensical voltage readings.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back