Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Our ebikes are the first I have ever ridden with disc brakes, I shall never trust rim brakes again. The Argos bikes don't have them.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
That is a bargain for the right person

Tony V

Free Member
Jun 5, 2020
Llyn Peninsula, N Wales
Funster No
MH
A/S Amethyst
Exp
newish
the 27" wheel comuter looks a better bike. A folder too, so can sit on the rack or be put in the van for security. A basic bike which would be unlikely to find much favour with bike thieves. I would only be looking for something to take me a few Km down to the local shops, so range is not an issue but a higher capacity or a spare battery is always worth having.

OP
OP
tonka

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
That's a good deal tonka, for occasional bike use they look to be OK. Have you used yours yet?
Don't tell me. Just on the odd occasion. :rofl: :rofl:

😁 Used at Stratford last weekend to go up town and not only me but the wife used hers and loved it. My arthritis is getting worse so I can only foresee more use.
Out Matt loves em as well and went to school on one the other week.

Yes the battery is low spec but to start someone off it does the job I think. I ain't going to becycling all day but with these at least I can pop out somewhere.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Nothing wrong with rim brakes with the correct brake blocks.
Until you have tried discs, how I wish they'd been around when I was younger, it would have saved me a lot of skin.

Jun 25, 2016
Ynys Môn, UK
Funster No
MH
2016 Benimar 243
Exp
Since 2016
I can remember the old starting handle!!!
Sorry perhaps I,m too old for this forum
25kg.. I have seen foldable ebikes 3 times the price and same weight or only a few kgs less. It's a factor people have to take into account before purchase. It's a £299 bike 👍 something has to give.
25kg.. I have seen foldable ebikes 3 times the price and same weight or only a few kgs less. It's a factor people have to take into account before purchase. It's a £299 bike 👍 something has to give.
i was laughing at the solid, think they will be tubular steel.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
When I started work at the Co-op my delivery bike had rod brakes, small front wheel as well. Real bugger when it got a wobble on.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
No gears ... think I'll pass!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
When I started work at the Co-op my delivery bike had rod brakes, small front wheel as well. Real bugger when it got a wobble on.
I well remember those brakes, they were a s*d to adjust properly.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
"Fixies" are quite popular with certain enthusiasts.

Anyway, not quite true, the Argos bike has apparently two gears - hi & low :giggler:.
"The revoshift is fitted on the right side of the handlebars ehich consists of a large shift lever - you can turn the shifter to + side to High gear and - side to low gear."

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
"Fixies" are quite popular with certain enthusiasts.

Anyway, not quite true, the Argos bike has apparently two gears - hi & low :giggler:.
"The revoshift is fitted on the right side of the handlebars ehich consists of a large shift lever - you can turn the shifter to + side to High gear and - side to low gear."
It says: 20" City E-Ride, Single Speed, 24V / 250W Motorl 24V 7 Ah Battery.

One of the Q&A says: After checking with our supplier, we can confirm that the bike is a single speed gear, the speed can be increased by selecting a higher level on the display.

The lever is to do with the electric power assist I believe.

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001

Nothing quite as painful as when as a youngster you sat on the crossbar and your dad applied the brakes, not noticing your hands and fingers between the brake rods and the handlebars.

Last edited:

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Probably made out of melted down Datsun Sunny’s............and you know how brilliant they were in their day😂

I think a brilliant way into an e bike for anyone who wants to “try” the concept
Keep them a year, I guarantee you wont lose £300👍👍

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
25kg low battery range, steel frame, no gears ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you have your answer cheap bikes, cheap quality If you can afford it and given the Euro v Pound look abroad, for a couple of hundred more you can get better battery, lighter frame, gears, better made or build your own, for less than asking price with kit of e bay if you have a bike you can use. There you go I did one now over 11,000 miles use and over 5 years old still at 90% battery range (40 miles) for less than £299

Lucky

Free Member
Nov 9, 2019
Limousin France & Yorkshire UK
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 600XV
Exp
Since 2016
I've heard of this before and not pursued the idea but you have me interested. Any specific suggestions of where to start researching the best kits.

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Look on e bay the kits are Chinese made and you can only fit a 250w kit in the UK anything above that it becomes a moped and will need tax insurance and registration, Its very basic, you will need a crank puller ( about £3 again off website with an e ) You take off the back wheel, same size as taking off, put the tyre and inner tube on the new wheel and motor,( go for a rear wheel drive as opposed to front wheel), the kit should come with a rear carrier to fit over the rear wheel/mudguard battery and all the controls, take off the sprocket and fti the metallic disc over the axle spindle re fit the front sprocket and connect the wires, dead easy front brake rear brake levers with cut outs and master switch for the handlebars takes about 1/2 hour and saves a fortune . You can get motors that fit on the bottom bracket which are the Rolls Royce of e bike motors, see Bosch etc and you can get upto 80 plus miles using these systems but they are north of £2000. Look at the wattage and amperage, more amps = longer and more miles, Bigger wattage more power!
I have had mine for 5 years plus done over 11,000 miles with it, a 17amp 250 watt rear wheel drive and it was good for over 40 miles ( I am a big lad!) It has just started reducing to 35 miles after use twice a week for 5 years and a new battery is around £180

OP
OP
tonka

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000

I never spotted that... We have the black versions and they have 6 gears. (y)
Obviously thats why one is red ;)
Luck for us we have an Argos clearance warehouse nearby so got some for £279..

Jul 26, 2017
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 125
Exp
Since 2016
Nothing wrong with rim brakes with the correct brake blocks.
Rim brakes are disc brakes. The rims are the discs and the blocks are the pads. That being said, disc brakes are generally far better than rim brakes.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back