Eberspatcher Heater on Hymer Star Edition (1 Viewer)

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
I think this was original equipment on the Star Edition. There is a little black control to the lower left of the steering wheel on LHD.
As we are heading to our sons in Aberdeen next week from the 28 deg South of France, we may need it as it will feel like the ice age to us.
Anybody know how this is intended to work, or is it really just for pre heating the engine.
It fires up ok, but I can't feel any heat from the vents. Or does it need the ignition on to run the cab fan. Or is it only as a boost while driving?
An idiots guide would be good as never had anything to do with Eberspatcher Heaters, only read that they can be temperamental if not switched off properly.
Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Anybody know how this is intended to work, or is it really just for pre heating the engine.
You would need to know whether it's an airtronic (ie just an air heater designed to warm up the cab area )
Or a hydronic heater (ie a water boiler ) which would be engine plumed and designed to warm up engine prior to starting.. if you know it does that and is is a hydronic heater there would need to be connections to heat exchangers and hot water tanks on the hab side for it to supply hab heating or hot water..
Andy

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
It is part of the Sprinter base vehicle and is designed to heat the engine and cab heating quickly on cold mornings. It has no effect on the main habitation heating.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
My sprinter based Hymer had one of those, I never knew what the button did until @GWAYGWAY told me/ showed me how to use it.

Couldn't find anything in the manuals...so if you can't fathom it our, Graham will I'm sure point you in the right direction as he did me.(y)

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
First off, thanks for the replies. Secondly I am an idiot, shouldn't type late at night.
It is a Webasto Thermo Top, not an Eberspatcher but I don't think I can edit the title now.
From underneath the vehicle yesterday it looked just like the Eberspatcher on the Sprinter which just pre-heated the engine.
Well, armed with the proper name I have come across a very small card of instructions which basically says switch it on for engine or cabin heating, either automatic, timed operation or manual. So perhaps it is fully automatic and I just switch it on. I will have a play and start another thread with the correct title if necessary.
It is on a Fiat base by the way.
Thanks again for suggestions, next time I will search for then RFM.
Steve

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Well... I switched it on but this time left it running. Apart from sounding like Concord starting up, after about 5 minutes I got a waft of heat on my face. It had obviously switched the cab heater fan on when it reached temperature and heat was coming out of the face vents. I imagine that is the only outlet available without switching on the ignition as outlet selection it electronic on the cab heating.
So lesson learned, RTFM regardless how small it is.
Steve

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
This can be either make and the idea is to pre-warm the engine and cooling system in the winter so that you get into and start a warm engine with the heater ready to go.
HOWEVER, it seems that when Hymer get hold of these from Mecedes they have the pre-warming timer disabled, or it is on mine anyway. Along with the flasher for the alarm being put on.
I think it is an item that can be put back on the ECU system by the main dealers but haven't pursued it yet. The Sprinter handbook say all manner of things that seem not to be available but the pre-timer allows you to set the time the heater will fire up as long as the temperature is below 5 degrees or so.. Have a look in the Mercedes handbook and see what applies to yours, The controls for these things SHOULD be on the steering wheel, but mine doesn't do much there either. Have a word at the Mercedes main dealer about putting them back on.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
AAHHHH| OK then look further into your owners manual, there might be some info there, Somewhere.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back