EBD Failure warning light - didn't expect that (1 Viewer)

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
First a recap.
Went to get the van out of storage to go to the bonfire meet at Shrewsbury and it was sluggish turning over. When it started a series of warnings came up on the dash :-
EBD failure
ABS unavailable
See handbook

As it was sluggish turning over I thought it would be a good idea to get it home and on charge. When I set off the speedo wasn't working nor was the external temp gauge and it soon became apparent that the turbo wasn't kicking in either. After an hour on charge I went out and started it and lo and behold all the faults had cleared so I was thinking perhaps thd battery was on its way out. Anyway next day we loaded up for the meet having had it on charge all night. Turned it on and started only for the warning lights to come on again. Turned the engine off and waited a couple of minutes and then back again. Once more everything seemed OK so off to Shrewsbury we went without further trouble. Had a great weekend, packed up and started the van as normal then remembered that I hadn't turned the gas off so I switched the engine off so that I had the key to the gas locker. Jumped back in and started it again only for the fault lights to come back on. This was now a familiar scenario, turn off, wait a few minutes and then on again, everything clears. With a bit of helping manpower I managed to navigate off the field and back home without any more problems.
Took it for its MOT and thankfully it behaved itself. Great thinks I, whatever it was it's now sorted itself out so I booked it in for a service. Wrong, it was the same problems back when I took it in so I left the engine running when I got to the Fiat garage so they could plug the diagnostics in before it cleared itself. I left it with them expecting a phone call later to tell me what the problem is. Two days later I'd heard nothing so I gave them a ring but they were no wiser. I was put onto the technician working on it and I went through all the above scenario with him adding what I had told the guy on reception about Merilyn saying that as she was following me the offside brake light was coming on intermittently. Technician says that he will check it out but didn't think it was relevant.
Got a phone call today to say that they had fixed the problem and everything was now fine. I asked what the problem had been and yes, you've guessed, it was a faulty brake light switch. All that trauma for a f**ting little thing like that.
I know it's been a bit long winded but it might help someone in future.
All i've got to do now is find out why the 12V sign on the panel doesn't light up when 12V is selected and everything is working OK. Perhaps I should get Merilyn to follow me again.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
It sounds like the ABS start check failed when the brake switch state was incorrect. This would disable the system and I believe why the speedo wouldn’t work. This is usually why there is no turbo boost as it prevents clocking by disabling the mileometer.
I can’t see a link to the outside temperature though.

OP
OP
TheTwoOfUs
Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Didn't expect this either. Got a phone call today to tell me that they had done the service and had taken it for a road test and all the warning lights had come back on :(
They are going to contact Fiat.:unsure:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
My first thoughts are what can have happened since you parked it up. Could it be a climate problem, i.e. damp cold getting into the sensitive components?

Richnz

Free Member
Dec 27, 2023
Funster No
MH
Citeon relay DIY
First a recap.
Went to get the van out of storage to go to the bonfire meet at Shrewsbury and it was sluggish turning over. When it started a series of warnings came up on the dash :-
EBD failure
ABS unavailable
See handbook

As it was sluggish turning over I thought it would be a good idea to get it home and on charge. When I set off the speedo wasn't working nor was the external temp gauge and it soon became apparent that the turbo wasn't kicking in either. After an hour on charge I went out and started it and lo and behold all the faults had cleared so I was thinking perhaps thd battery was on its way out. Anyway next day we loaded up for the meet having had it on charge all night. Turned it on and started only for the warning lights to come on again. Turned the engine off and waited a couple of minutes and then back again. Once more everything seemed OK so off to Shrewsbury we went without further trouble. Had a great weekend, packed up and started the van as normal then remembered that I hadn't turned the gas off so I switched the engine off so that I had the key to the gas locker. Jumped back in and started it again only for the fault lights to come back on. This was now a familiar scenario, turn off, wait a few minutes and then on again, everything clears. With a bit of helping manpower I managed to navigate off the field and back home without any more problems.
Took it for its MOT and thankfully it behaved itself. Great thinks I, whatever it was it's now sorted itself out so I booked it in for a service. Wrong, it was the same problems back when I took it in so I left the engine running when I got to the Fiat garage so they could plug the diagnostics in before it cleared itself. I left it with them expecting a phone call later to tell me what the problem is. Two days later I'd heard nothing so I gave them a ring but they were no wiser. I was put onto the technician working on it and I went through all the above scenario with him adding what I had told the guy on reception about Merilyn saying that as she was following me the offside brake light was coming on intermittently. Technician says that he will check it out but didn't think it was relevant.
Got a phone call today to say that they had fixed the problem and everything was now fine. I asked what the problem had been and yes, you've guessed, it was a faulty brake light switch. All that trauma for a f**ting little thing like that.
All i've got to do now is find out why the 12V sign on the panel doesn't light up when 12V is selected and everything is working OK. Perhaps I should get Merilyn to follow me again.
Many thanks for this write up. I had exactly the same scenario, a weak battery - trouble starting - charged it up for 15 mins- i get it running to find the same pattern of intermittent issues.

I will check the park and main brake lights including switches. Cheers.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Razamataz

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2018
Dunfermline, Fife, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7400plus
Exp
Since March 2018
First a recap.
EBD failure
ABS unavailable
See handbook

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back