Earth bonding - confused (1 Viewer)

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Ah, not this sort of Earth bonding then?

1611756120228.png

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
And the Honda i have has a facility to connect a ground spike...and I assume I would have to make a connection to the windings for that to be an option..
What are the downsides or dangers of using a generator supplied to be used as an isolated supply that you then alter to bond the winding and earth....
I just struggle to see all the dangers..but im sure they exist given the right circumstances..
Andy
Andy..
If it suggests a ground spike you'd have to assume the correct internal connections already exist otherwise there's no point in the spike connection. If it has the correct internal connects there's still no point in an earth spike if you are connecting it to your motorhome via the EHU lead - the EHU lead earthwire is a far better conductor than the ground.

Edit: Useful if using outdoor tools or heaters though - unless they're double-insulated (which most, tools at least, are).

Last edited:

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
If it suggests a ground spike you'd have to assume the correct internal connections already exist otherwise there's no point in the spike connection. If it has the correct internal connects there's still no point in an earth spike if you are connecting it to your motorhome via the EHU lead - the EHU lead earthwire is a far better conductor than the ground.
It definitely has a facility to connect a ground spike and I'm also sure the earth or generator frame is isolated from the windings.. im sure I've checked that in the past..
Ill check the book that came with it ..its a common enough unit.. the Honda 2kw inverter generator.
Andy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Another point I sometimes ponder..which some may be able to keep me right on..
Most domestic institutions have the earth and neutral bonded in the consumer unit..so when you connect a hook up cable from your domestic supply to the motorhome you are in fact providing the same bond to the system in the van ..
it's not practice to wire the consumer unit in a van with the earth and neutral bonded...is it?..or am I missing something here...
Andy..
It isn't true that E/N are bonded in the Consumer Unit in 'most' domestic installations - in fact I've never seen one but I know they exist. If you think about van EHU it would be pointless (if not dangerous under certain fault conditions) to have E/N bonding in the van. A minor inconvenience would be to trip every RCD in every hook-up that you connected to Including the one in your house :giggle: :giggle:.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
It isn't true that E/N are bonded in the Consumer Unit in 'most' domestic installations - in fact I've never seen one but I know they exist.
I thought that was pretty standard practice in most domestic installations ..
Ie bonding the earth and neutral in the consumer unit..
Andy.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I thought that was pretty standard practice in most domestic installations ..
Ie bonding the earth and neutral in the consumer unit..
Andy.
I've just done (very little) research and it is never done. There's a video here showing a Consumer Unit connections - which is like all the ones I've seen.

Deleted User
Watching this with interest.
If someone were to stand in complete isolation then touch a live conductor they would be ok until the circuit was completed back to source, then possibly huge amounts of current would flow until a safety device cuts out. The problem is identifying what safety device to fit and where in the circuit. So I'm coming back to thinking it's either an MCB in the live pole only or the correct size fuse in the appliance plugtop on the assumption - dangerous I know - that fault current much larger than the steady load would then blow the fuse in the live conductor.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I've just done (very little) research and it is never done. There's a video here showing a Consumer Unit connections - which is like all the ones I've seen.

Here's my research :ROFLMAO:
It says its the most common form of connection for domestic installations in the UK.. :unsure:..
It does say itsnot suitable for certain installations..caravan parks been one..
Screenshot_20210127-151038_Samsung Internet.jpg

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
If someone were to stand in complete isolation then touch a live conductor they would be ok until the circuit was completed back to source, then possibly huge amounts of current would flow until a safety device cuts out. The problem is identifying what safety device to fit and where in the circuit. So I'm coming back to thinking it's either an MCB in the live pole only or the correct size fuse in the appliance plugtop on the assumption - dangerous I know - that fault current much larger than the steady load would then blow the fuse in the live conductor.
Line workers for electric companies I believe work on live circuts using various forms of insulation to prevent contact with surroundings...so do birds on high voltage overhead lines :LOL:
But its not the MCB that is going to give the protection to you in a circut..the current flow would have been far to high to prevent death before it operated..
It's the RCD that should save your life..
Andy

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Neither a fuse nor an MCB would offer any protection at all from electrocution. Both exist to prevent fire, wiring damage, and/or overload damage.

Edit: as andy63 said :sleep:.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
using various forms of insulation
Helicopters for example. They're pretty well disconnected from ground. However there's another hazard at play: they're big enough to hold a pretty substantial static charge. Watch the engineer equalising potentials in the video:

Deleted User
Line workers for electric companies I believe work on live circuts using various forms of insulation to prevent contact with surroundings...so do birds on high voltage overhead lines :LOL:
But its not the MCB that is going to give the protection to you in a circut..the current flow would have been far to high to prevent death before it operated..
Andy
Yes I understand and in domestic installation I agree. However in local power situation, as stated earlier, a balanced fault current load through an RCD may not trip it out.

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
I wonder if Jim should moderate this thread. I am not an expert but worry, having seen the thread wander around, that potentially lethal advice may have been posted.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
There is a lot of information here

Just a few conclusions for me based on my rudimentary understanding

1. Portable devices do not need an earth. To require an earth would render it not portable device any more. A generator or invertor may have an earth circuit built in but it will obviously only run if there is a fault or short circuit.
A generator frame is sufficient as an earth so long as it is metal and not sitting on a rubber mat!
2. RCDs do not need an earth. They trip before current can run to earth. They sense current running form live to neutral. They are extremely sensitive.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Andy as tonyidle says, you miss understanding the PE bonding. It’s not done in the consumer unit, because it’s already done at the transformer, supplying the dwelling with 3 conductors. If you bond in the consumer again, you create a multiple path which is bad. The bonding is done only once and closer to source.
If your supply is only two wires, common in EU states, then the bonding is done before your meter and the consumer enters 3 conductors. One resulting from the bond. You can not do another bond, PE to work needs to have a single path directing the fault away to a rod or source.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I wonder if Jim should moderate this thread. I am not an expert but worry, having seen the thread wander around, that potentially lethal advice may have been posted.
Just a discussion..
Andy as tonyidle says, you miss understanding the PE bonding. It’s not done in the consumer unit, because it’s already done at the transformer, supplying the dwelling with 3 conductors. If you bond in the consumer again, you create a multiple path which is bad. The bonding is done only once and closer to source.
If your supply is only two wires, common in EU states, then the bonding is done before your meter and the consumer enters 3 conductors. One resulting from the bond. You can not do another bond, PE to work needs to have a single path directing the fault away to a rod or source.
Cheers.. as I said I think I've spent to much time thinking about this sort of stuff today (y) :rolleyes:..

Deleted User
I know this is really elementary, but I don't want to electrocute myself or the family.....

I understand that when I am on EHU, then there is earth via the mains cable.

Question 1. If I am not plugged into EHU, where does the earth come from/go to. I understand the physical wiring intimately, so the chassis is earth, but where would that "dissipate" to? Being on 4 round rubber things surely is a insulator to the physical/real earth? I understand it is all safe, but just a layman's query really. I have never seen an earthing rod on a campsite.....

Question 2. If I install an inverter, and are off-grid, presume the inverter will be earthed to the chassis? So the answer to Q1 above will probably provide the answer to this one.

Question 3. If I were to purchase a "solar generator", which is a battery, charger and inverter in 1 box, there is no earth at all. It works without being connected to anything. So is it safe? If so, how?

I have watched so many videos and read so many articles, but have found it very difficult to find a straight answer in a format I can digest.

Thanks in advance.
BigDean.
My final thoughts on this are that you are dealing with an item that you may choose to resell or exchange at some time in the future. Bearing this mind perhaps you should seek professional advise from someone with current and valid qualifications who will install the equipment and issue a completion certificate. If I were to buy a van with similar I would be asking for this for my safety.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Andy

The live line workers don't use insulation when suspended from live cables, the insulation would have to be immensely thick. Instead they use a faraday suit;

In electrical engineering, live-line working is the maintenance of electrical equipment, often operating at high voltage, while the equipment is energised. A lineman wearing a Faraday suit can work on live, high-power lines by being transported to the lines in a helicopter. Wearing the suit, they can crawl down the wires.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Exp
Several years now

Certainly in older UK houses, you only get a live conductor which is within insulation and that is surrounded by a metallic sheath. The sheath gives mechanical protection, but also carries the combined neutral and earth. If you look closely at the incoming wire to your house, just before it goes into the main fuse you might see the earth connection from your house strapped to the sheath of the cable.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Exp
Several years now

Don't think it's prohibited to have an earth spike and the incoming cable sheath both connected to your main earth block in a UK house ? What you do need is a measurement of the earth loop impedance from your main earth block to a good earth.

If the impedance to earth is too large then RCDs might not work.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Don't think it's prohibited to have an earth spike and the incoming cable sheath both connected to your main earth block in a UK house ? What you do need is a measurement of the earth loop impedance from your main earth block to a good earth.

If the impedance to earth is too large then RCDs might not work.
I rely on an earth rod for my house (TT).. im fairly sure the earth loop impedance permissable on my installation is higher than one making use of the boards own connection.. but can't remember what that figure is...
My trip does work so I'm assuming my earth rod is doing its job and my system is ok..
Andy..

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Exp
Several years now
I rely on an earth rod for my house (TT).. im fairly sure the earth loop impedance permissable on my installation is higher than one making use of the boards own connection.. but can't remember what that figure is...
My trip does work so I'm assuming my earth rod is doing its job and my system is ok..
Andy..
If you think the RCD is working because it trips when you press the test button, then your not doing a full test. What you want is the combined test machine that you push the probes or sometimes a three pin plug into your house sockets. Press the button and that machine causes an earth fault of known size. The machine will then measure how long in milliseconds it takes for the RCD to trip.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
If you think the RCD is working because it trips when you press the test button, then your not doing a full test. What you want is the combined test machine that you push the probes or sometimes a three pin plug into your house sockets. Press the button and that machine causes an earth fault of known size. The machine will then measure how long in milliseconds it takes for the RCD to trip.
The system has never been tested with the tester you described or certainly not for more years than I care to remember..
Apart from the test button I've had the trip come out while working on an isolated ring main circut..even though its isolated at the consumer unit ..if the wires on the circut are shorted or touch the earth on that circut the trip will still operate..ive often wondered how that can happen and just put it down to possibly a small induced voltage in the isolated conductor..
Anyhow thanks for the input and apologies to the op ..but I hope you got something out of your thread as well as me..
Andy

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Certainly in older UK houses, you only get a live conductor which is within insulation and that is surrounded by a metallic sheath. The sheath gives mechanical protection, but also carries the combined neutral and earth. If you look closely at the incoming wire to your house, just before it goes into the main fuse you might see the earth connection from your house strapped to the sheath of the cable.
The sheathing bonded to PE is common practice, but I have never came across a cable with a single conductor only, this is a new to me.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I think if you want to fit an electric vehicle charging point some way from your house, you need an additional earth spike in the ground for most of the charging points.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back