E Le Clerc corralled my money (1 Viewer)

DocHoliday

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
5 years
On Wednesday I bought about 5 Euro worth of LPG from an automated pump at Le Clerc.

Today I went to get some cash out of an ATM and was told that I was trying to exceed my limit. It was only 100 Euro and I knew I had the funds to cover it. Upon looking at my account online I saw that I did indeed have a balance of over £100, but only £12 of it was 'available'.

I phoned Nationwide to find out why I couldn't withdraw up to the amount of money in the account. The helpful agent told me that Le Clerc had 'earmarked' £102 worth of my money when I paid for my LPG and hadn't yet released it.

I know when you go to an automatic pump it validates your card and authorises you to fill up to a certain value. But why doesn't it release the surplus funds immediately after you finish filling up?

NWide said they could free up the money, on condition that if Le Clerc claimed it, they would have to corrall it again.

Is this unethical process common? How long do these supermarkets hold onto your money?

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
That's big brother isn't it? Never heard of that but will be very cautious in future.

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
That's the way it works, but the initial reserve should be replaced by a reserve of the actual amount when it's known. That reserve stays in place until the full details feed through the system, usually 3days.
I gave up using the Nationwide as they were always very slow updating thing. Their customer service just kept says there is nothing we can see or do. I chased one transaction right through with the retailer (my car insurance) they got all the reference numbers from their bank to prove what had happen, but Nationwide denied everything even when I gave them the Nationwide electronic acknowledgement codes. I now use Haxifax for my banking and credit card, never had a problem.
Never bought LPG from Eleclerc but their self service diesel pumps work to plan.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D

DocHoliday

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
5 years
That's the way it works, but the initial reserve should be replaced by a reserve of the actual amount when it's known. That reserve stays in place until the full details feed through the system, usually 3days.
I gave up using the Nationwide as they were always very slow updating thing. Their customer service just kept says there is nothing we can see or do. I chased one transaction right through with the retailer (my car insurance) they got all the reference numbers from their bank to prove what had happen, but Nationwide denied everything even when I gave them the Nationwide electronic acknowledgement codes. I now use Haxifax for my banking and credit card, never had a problem.
Never bought LPG from Eleclerc but their self service diesel pumps work to plan.

I'm disappointed to hear that about NW. So it's their fault rather than Le Clerc?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
What method did you use to pay for the fuel - debit or credit or a cash card? I've heard of this with cash cards and some debit cards but not with credit cards.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I always use a credit card in these automatic pumps, then if they 'corral' a few hundred quid it doesn't matter, as long as the CC company doesn't charge interest on it.
If I'd only got room for €5 of lpg I don't think I'd have bothered filling though :smiley:

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Been using Leclerc at least once a week for food and or fuel for the past 12 years and never had such a problem, mind you I use a Credit Agricole debit card

OP
OP
D

DocHoliday

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
5 years
What method did you use to pay for the fuel - debit or credit or a cash card? I've heard of this with cash cards and some debit cards but not with credit cards.

First I tried my credit card but the pump announced it was 'Closed' when I came to fill, so I used my debit card instead.

My Gaslow gauge was lying to me, as usual :(

OP
OP
D

DocHoliday

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
5 years
I'm confused. Just looked at my NW Flex a/c and I now have £102 MORE than I had in the first place, but the available balance has gone up to the true value of funds in the account. So, total 217, 115 available.
The 102 credit is marked as Sundries. Presumably they will nab that back sometime. What a farce!

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I'm confused. Just looked at my NW Flex a/c and I now have £102 MORE than I had in the first place, but the available balance has gone up to the true value of funds in the account. So, total 217, 115 available.
The 102 credit is marked as Sundries. Presumably they will nab that back sometime. What a farce!
Could it be down to a profit on the exchange rate?

Edit, just realised £102 more:Eeek: that won't be down to ER

Vimbus

Free Member
Oct 31, 2014
Falmouth
Funster No
MH
Pop Top Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2008
Had a similar issue with my Caxton visa last year, the bank claimed 200€ but I only withdrew 100€, a call to Caxton fixed it, However I forgot to turn the roaming data back off on my phone and subsequently spent £25 updating all my apps, doh!

OP
OP
D

DocHoliday

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
5 years
My account is finally showing the correct amount available, two weeks after I bought the gas. :mad:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
How many others find Gaslow gauges tell porkies ??
We can never rely on our gauge. We just run out of one bottle then find a garage with gpl within 10 days or so, the bottle lasts 13 days.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Been using Leclerc at least once a week for food and or fuel for the past 12 years and never had such a problem, mind you I use a Credit Agricole debit card

By all accounts it only does it to foreign cards. People on a local forum here were complaining about being charged the maximum 120€ by automated pumps , then having it credited back some days later. When they queried it with the spanish bank they were told it is common . In Spain it is illegal.
Having used one for some 26€ of diesel & having annulled the first transaction ( kept receipt.lol) I checked my account to find they debited 120€, then another 121€ , then another 120€ !!!!!!!!!!

How they managed the 121 € I don't know as 120€ is the maximum allowed?? Fortunately they credited them back later the same day . They took the 26€ for the diesel some 10 days later. I queried what it was all about in the bank & was told the same , hanging on to some theoretical money for a few days & then crediting back they earn interest. When I asked why mine was credited back same day they said ," because it is a Spanish card & Illegal to do that here & if they held on to the money & you complained we'd be after them . "

OP
OP
D

DocHoliday

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
5 years
By all accounts it only does it to foreign cards. People on a local forum here were complaining about being charged the maximum 120€ by automated pumps , then having it credited back some days later. When they queried it with the spanish bank they were told it is common . In Spain it is illegal.
Having used one for some 26€ of diesel & having annulled the first transaction ( kept receipt.lol) I checked my account to find they debited 120€, then another 121€ , then another 120€ !!!!!!!!!!

How they managed the 121 € I don't know as 120€ is the maximum allowed?? Fortunately they credited them back later the same day . They took the 26€ for the diesel some 10 days later. I queried what it was all about in the bank & was told the same , hanging on to some theoretical money for a few days & then crediting back they earn interest. When I asked why mine was credited back same day they said ," because it is a Spanish card & Illegal to do that here & if they held on to the money & you complained we'd be after them . "

Gus, I'll be in Spain soon, so do tell us who these crooks were and I'll avoid them :)

And was that a credit or debit card you used?

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
my understanding is this happens with all cards on pay at pumps or any automatic pay system. they ring fence the limit before you draw the fuel so this become pending. they then charge the actual amount taken. after a few days the balance then reconciles it self. its standard practice all over the world, including the UK.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back