E-bikes - which one? (1 Viewer)

Jul 20, 2017
Epsom, Surrey
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
We are looking buy an electric bike but they are all so heavy. Can anyone recommend a suitably light e-bike - with removable battery for recharging when we are on the move - for me? It will need to be a step through or with a low bar and light enough to,lift onto our bike rack on the back of our Bessacarr E462?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Unless you are prepared to spend many thousands on a carbon one the lightest you will get is around 18-20kg but most are getting on for 25kg.
As with any bike you need to ride them to find out what suits you too many variables for one that fits all. Our Scotts weigh 24kg, fine when riding but a bit of a pain when pushing them around town centres .

Upvote 0
May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
What sort of riding are you thinking about doing ? Road, off-road, Mtn biking or generally potting around could affect you choices.

Ribble have some bikes around the 14kg mark which use the fazua system so lightweight but not as much range as the Bosch or shimano systems where as mtn bikes Need to be heavily to cope with the terrain and the motors.

Upvote 0

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
We are looking buy an electric bike but they are all so heavy. Can anyone recommend a suitably light e-bike - with removable battery for recharging when we are on the move - for me? It will need to be a step through or with a low bar and light enough to,lift onto our bike rack on the back of our Bessacarr E462?
Look for a used Brompton (or treat yourself hugely to a new one) then convert it to a e-bike with a Swytch kit or similar. It’s a very simple and easy process and you end up with a very light, compact and comfortable bike.

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2009
Chandlers Ford, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD700 H L
Exp
Since 2008
We have Decathlon Tilt 500 folding ebikes that weigh 18.5 kg, the battery is in the frame , and have been up and down some stiff hills , with 20 inch wheels some people do find they take a few rides to get used to. But they fit in our garage under the bed with just the bars folded down.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2020
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autograph 69-2
Exp
Moved over to the Dark Side after 16 yrs tugging.
Unless you are prepared to spend many thousands on a carbon one the lightest you will get is around 18-20kg but most are getting on for 25kg.
As with any bike you need to ride them to find out what suits you too many variables for one that fits all. Our Scotts weigh 24kg, fine when riding but a bit of a pain when pushing them around town centres .
Compromises all round if you want light bike ... a smaller battery/less distance , smaller wheels/ harder ride , carbon frame/ expensive , etc. Plusses and minuses on each one. And of course even if you find the one you want on the internet, you could wait for a year or so if ever, to get one on order. Some friends waited a year then gave up and bought what was available at the time, within reason. They and us have got Scott bikes (others may be available from other manufacturers ). We were advised to get step through because you probably wont ne able to afford another £2000 ish and at the age of 70 with your replacement hip, who wants to be cocking a leg over a crossbar. Ours weigh 25kg, but take the saddles off and the battery out, they weigh 21kgs and we lift them onto the carrier on the back of the MH. Our friends have gone for a towbar on a PVC and a Thule carrier that clamps on, and they have a 'gutter ramp' to push the bikes onto the carrier. Not the cheapest option but no lifting. Get the same bikes if you are a couple, then you can swap over batteries if required (done it twice so far) and they are more convenient to charge.
I fear that its not going to be a case of which bike you want, but which bike you can get. Speaking to my bike shop on Fri am , she said that she sends a wish list to the supplier and they let her have want they can get hold of, and that is bikes as well as accessories. Next delivery Fri pm. They had a delivery of handlebar mirrors yesterday ... and I bought both sets that they let her have.
Good luck.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2020
Uranus
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 185
Exp
My Raleigh Motus GT is a lovely machine enabling me to ascend some quite steep hills. It has a removable battery, but that doesn't take very much away from its 25kg weight; so you'll need a hernia surgeon on standby if you wanted to lift onto your rack.

Upvote 0

Compactliner

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Exp
11 yrs
similar to the Ribble are Orbea Gain ebikes. smaller lighter hub motor, smaller half range battery, much lighter frame.
the thinking is that you need the power less often as the bike can be ridden for more of the time without assistance.
ive had a Bosch bike for 8 years, 17k km, and its been great, but i am conscious of its weight and how hard it is to ride quickly (over 15mph) once power drops...will be looking at an Orbea when shops open for test rides.

Upvote 0
Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
I put TongSheng TSDZ2 250W motors on to our standard hybrid town/mtb bikes. Batteries weigh around 5Kg each but motor added only 2.5Kg to the original bikes. A reasonably simple fit if you’re mechanically minded, and absolutely superb at climbing hills to our local! (Pity it’s not open until tomorrow!) Cost £510 delivered. Took me about 5hours each to fit.

Cheers,

Russ

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Many thanks and we are not prepared to pay for a carbon frame. Would really like to know which bikes are less than 20 kg.
My ecosmo folding electric tandem is 21kg, and I keep meaning to put it up for sale. £1350 brand new or 800 quid for a used one with about 250 kms on it and the changed sprocket.

Ideal if you dont want to go off road and just go up and down the canals and proper bike paths

Upvote 0

Alfie159

Free Member
Mar 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 2019
Exp
I’m informed from a previous thread the step through folding type and harder to ride as it wobble a bit .... unlike mountain bike style. A ‘female’ frame is an option of doing the high kicks and splits an issue and yes even for a guy ... obviously the Victorian ‘ladies bike’ marketing hangs around

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I suggest you wait a short while and take trip over to the Nederlands. Hundreds of bike shops to choose from, all with stocks of ebikes and all available for demo. Try a few and I'll bet a pease pudding you'll come home with a godd one.
And Germany, we bought our 2 bikes from there to replace the tandem so we can do a bit more cycling off road. Super big stores and the pound is getting stronger

Upvote 0

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
All this talk reminded Elaine of her pre COVID comment that she would get herself a Brooks Leather Saddle so that she has one in Scotland and one in France. She just looked at the Brooks website: 'Saddles still made in West Midlands, but Brooks now part of Selle Royale Group and all saddles are shipped to our Logistics Centre' [in Italy!] ... :rolleyes: (n)

I bought my saddle in 2014 for some £75. Now £105 each ...

Steve

Upvote 0

Alfie159

Free Member
Mar 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 2019
Exp
All this talk reminded Elaine of her pre COVID comment that she would get herself a Brooks Leather Saddle so that she has one in Scotland and one in France. She just looked at the Brooks website: 'Saddles still made in West Midlands, but Brooks now part of Selle Royale Group and all saddles are shipped to our Logistics Centre' [in Italy!] ... :rolleyes: (n)

I bought my saddle in 2014 for some £75. Now £105 each ...

Steve
Excuse to go to Italy then 😀

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
And Germany, we bought our 2 bikes from there to replace the tandem so we can do a bit more cycling off road. Super big stores and the pound is getting stronger
Bought our Scotts from Germany saved over £500 a bike. If we change them a bit too much hassle importing now so it will be when we are in Germany.

Upvote 0

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
I’m informed from a previous thread the step through folding type and harder to ride as it wobble a bit .... unlike mountain bike style. A ‘female’ frame is an option of doing the high kicks and splits an issue and yes even for a guy ... obviously the Victorian ‘ladies bike’ marketing hangs around
For men of a certain age, a step through is needed; less 'hip hop' and more 'hip op' style of thing [I have an unmatched pair, with 2 different styles of fixing!]

Steve

Upvote 0

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Bought our Scotts from Germany saved over £500 a bike. If we change them a bit too much hassle importing now so it will be when we are in Germany.
Take 2 bikes out; bring 2 [different/new] bikes back in, 2 weeks mud from use in Germany, so that they don't look shiny new ... If Customs have n number of 38 tonnes HGVs with foodstuffs etc in the Clearance queue, they'll want motorhomers/caravanners out of the way quickly ...Although our last return with the Gobur Folding Caravan to Newhaven didn't deter the Customs Officer from asking me to open it up to check for illegal immigrants. He wouldn't accept my assurance that any illegal would be limited to 2 ft 6ins height, have 1 leg max, and weigh under 30kg to fir into the miniscule free space within ... Took ages to fold down again and tuck the seals around!

Steve

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Take 2 bikes out; bring 2 [different/new] bikes back in, 2 weeks mud from use in Germany, so that they don't look shiny new ... If Customs have n number of 38 tonnes HGVs with foodstuffs etc in the Clearance queue, they'll want motorhomers/caravanners out of the way quickly ...Although our last return with the Gobur Folding Caravan to Newhaven didn't deter the Customs Officer from asking me to open it up to check for illegal immigrants. He wouldn't accept my assurance that any illegal would be limited to 2 ft 6ins height, have 1 leg max, and weigh under 30kg to fir into the miniscule free space within ... Took ages to fold down again and tuck the seals around!

Steve
In 2002 we bought a new Hobby caravan in Germany, all 3 Hymers we have bought in Belgium. :giggle:

Upvote 0

Alfie159

Free Member
Mar 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 2019
Exp
For men of a certain age, a step through is needed; less 'hip hop' and more 'hip op' style of thing [I have an unmatched pair, with 2 different styles of fixing!]

Steve
I find the idea the lower bar ones (mountain bikes) are exclusively for ladies and not chaps... silly because like you say, some men need this lower bar. For you then perhaps the little wheel city bike style would be better ?

Upvote 1
Jul 26, 2019
Fife, UK
Funster No
MH
McLoius Fusion
Exp
Since 2019
Just be aware, if you hoping to buy two of same bikes (his & hers)with a view that you can swap batteries, buy at same time. I bought my ebike 8 months before OH bought his, but though same range and battery looks the same when it’s on the bike, it has different connections so unfortunately we can’t use each other’s batteries or chargers

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Just be aware, if you hoping to buy two of same bikes (his & hers)with a view that you can swap batteries, buy at same time. I bought my ebike 8 months before OH bought his, but though same range and battery looks the same when it’s on the bike, it has different connections so unfortunately we can’t use each other’s batteries or chargers
On our Scotts the ladies bike has a different battery to the gents.

Upvote 0
Apr 7, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
Gtech for us. One with a crossbar and one step through. They weigh around 16kg each which is light enough to lift onto a high rack. The removable battery is less than 2kg. No gears, just 2 power settings, so pedal and go really. Carbon belt drive so no oily chain to mess with. The published range is up to 30 miles, but real life is less. Not designed for serious riding or rough terrain, but great for pootling about.

Upvote 0

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
I find the idea the lower bar ones (mountain bikes) are exclusively for ladies and not chaps... silly because like you say, some men need this lower bar. For you then perhaps the little wheel city bike style would be better ?
For me, an electric scooter with extra capacity onboard commode would be the optimal solution ... Or a multi use Tena Pad ... :eek:. But if I stopped taking the P, perhaps I could manage with the conventional single use version ...

Steve [but without the 'secret weapon inside his pants' that the TV lady in the gym claims to possess]

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back