Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
As I understand it, a new set of rules is to be introduced around April with regard to size restrictions on RV's in the UK?
There have been quite a few unoficial leaks and speculation as to the content, but does anybody know if any of these "new" rules will apply to 5vers?
I'm thinking in terms of weight, width and electric brakes.
Ta::bigsmile:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Hi "zaskar",, I would think that any new rules/laws would have to be from a set date and those that already have 5th wheels would be exempt, providing they conformed to the law at the moment or when they were built.

Would be the same as the old seat belt law and fittings. If they were not fitted before a certain age it was and is not a legality to use them.

Just my opinion. Expect I am wrong as usual. :Doh:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Well castle motors are advertising all their vehicles are OK to drive on car licences on their website and have been for a while including all their slide outs.

They belong to the group who have been in discussions with the DVLA.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
The only new rules I have heard of are from 2010 when a new form of SVA test begins for all new and used RV's , motorhomes , trailers and fiver's imported from America

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi some laws a retrospective, like this one to do with seat belts.

From May this year you will not be able to carry rear passengers unless they are strapped in, this legislation applies to all motorhomes irrespective of their age.

Strangely enough if you have no rear seat belts at all you can carry as many as you like.

See Here: UKMotorhomes.net - FAQs

So I need to work out someway to fit at least two lap and diagonal belts.

Olley

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Belt up!! (or not?)

Hi Olley

Retrospective Laws? Try the London Emmisions Zone for one!!. They include everything Diesel just about. Totally unfair!! We used to love going to Crystal Palace CC Site But now it would cost me £200!!.

For some reason my R-V never had belts. So I`ve now no intention of trying to fit them!!

If Your Winnie never had REAR belts, then it should`nt need them now? as the necessary strong points won`t be there?

Pete

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Olley
If Your Winnie never had REAR belts, then it should`nt need them now? as the necessary strong points won`t be there?

Pete

Hi Pete its got one lap belt on the dinette and two on the sideways face sofa, I don't consider the sofa belts safe, so that means I can carry one passenger.

With a bit of steelwork I think I can fit two lap&Dia to either side of the dinette, just need to get my bum in gear, and do it.

Olley

iceni

Free Member
Dec 3, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Lowline Coachbuilt
Exp
27yrs
Hi some laws a retrospective, like this one to do with seat belts.

From May this year you will not be able to carry rear passengers unless they are strapped in, this legislation applies to all motorhomes irrespective of their age.

Strangely enough if you have no rear seat belts at all you can carry as many as you like.

See Here: UKMotorhomes.net - FAQs

So I need to work out someway to fit at least two lap and diagonal belts.

Olley

Hi Olley
Your post seems confusing . ie. You say that if you dont have seat belts fitted in the back you can carry people in the back. But then go on to say that you are going to have to fit some yourself. Is this because you want to upgrade the safety in your unit for your own peace of mind.

Or is it me not understanding again

Phill:Smile:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi perhaps I should lend my glasses to some of you ::bigsmile: where do I say I don't have belts in the rear??

Olley

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
I think that if you read Olley's post again you will find that he says that he DOES have some seat belts fitted BUT in his view they are not safe enough to transport his nearest and dearest.

On the other hand - if your vehicle is of such an age that seat belts of any sort have NEVER been fitted in the rear - then you don't have to fit them now!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back