DVLA are driving me mad (1 Viewer)

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
We ve recently bought a beautiful old Clouliner in from Luxembourg.

They were sold in the UK in LHD and RHD form so you would think registering it should be reasonably straightforward - oh no.

I was pretty sure that I didnt need a CofC but enquired before I sent the paperwork in and was told by the webchat (they still weren't answering the phone at that stage) that I didnt need it because of the age of it. So paperwork duly dispatched recorded delivery was signed for on the 19th August. 5 weeks later I received a letter refusing registration because there was no type approval ( the UK version). By this time I was able to telephone them and was told again that I didnt need it because of the age, the chap on the phone went away and checked and came back and quite categorically stated that ' its not needed for any vehicle over 10 years old'. So what do I do? send it back in with a covering letter, so up to the post office, guaranteed recorded. signed for the next day.

It then occurred to me that I had previously sent a covering letter with the same information and the same person who hadn't read it last time was about to get it again and presumably not bother reading this one so I called to clarify and was advised that it would be moved up to the priority team. I duly received a phone call from them promising to expedite it. Fair enough so believing it was a mere formality got all packed up ready to go.

A couple of days later i received a phone call from a very pleasant lady at DVLA who initially said she didnt know what the problem was but she was on the case and could we communicate by email ( despite it being on all the forms and recorded during the 2 subsequent phone calls she didnt have it), We then dicussed what it could be and on discovering it was PHGV told me that because its an HGV its 25 years before it does need type approval so i would need an IVA. I queried this because a Motorhome is M1 and a lorry is N1 and was told that was 'possibly' the reason but she would need to look into it.

Just in case, I called the testing people who after telling me how safe they were keeping everyone by not doing any work eventually answered and told me that they don't test anything over 10 years old. so I emailed the following:

Me
I ve got through to DVSA and they tell me I can't have an IVA test because its over 10 years old its out of scope.

If it was a vehicle less than 10 years old i would be presenting a certificate of conformity and a letter from an MOT station stating that the Speedometer and rear fog lamp arrangement are suitable for use on UK roads. So as its too old to need a CofC surely its just the letter that I need? or am I missing something?

DVLA
Before I answer your question I’ll need to wait to see the application before I can confirm.

So despite sending it to them in their own envelope with a persons name and a reference on it and it being signed for 9 days ago they apparently cannot find it. According to what I'm being told if you send something to them on a 'signed for; service, the local sorting office sign for it and deliver it when they feel like it.

AFAICS the only bit I'm missing is the letter for the MOT station to sign to say its suitable to drive on UK roads (which is somewhat because I only want to use the motorway between here and the tunnel) Has anyone got a copy of this so I can get it sorted?

Jon

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
According to what I'm being told if you send something to them on a 'signed for; service, the local sorting office sign for it and deliver it when they feel like it.
Even worse they only sign for the sack not individual letters so it may not of even been in the sack.
DVLA are an absolute shambles anything out of the ordinary day to day items they haven't a clue.
I did have the MD's PA email and she would get things sorted in a couple of days unfortunately the email is no longer valid.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Even worse they only sign for the sack not individual letters so it may not of even been in the sack.
DVLA are an absolute shambles anything out of the ordinary day to day items they haven't a clue.
I did have the MD's PA email and she would get things sorted in a couple of days unfortunately the email is no longer valid.

My next stop is to Royal Mail, who charged me ÂŁ6 for a guaranteed next day signed for service and then delivered it to themselves. Thats got to be illegal.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
DVLA are a strange breed right now if you can’t do it online. We tried to retrieve my wife’s private plate off her smart car recently, couldn’t do it online ? We sent the requested paperwork and waited for months until we forgot about it. Eventually the retention certificate arrives and to this day they have never cashed the £80 cheque.
Yesterday I re assigned it online and it all went through ok ?
Phil

Last edited:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I had an ongoing problem with DVLA over many months ... The only way I got it sorted was by writing to my local MP, after which I received the correct paperwork within about 10 days followed by a letter of apology and a cheque for compensation.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
My next stop is to Royal Mail, who charged me ÂŁ6 for a guaranteed next day signed for service and then delivered it to themselves. Thats got to be illegal.
Recorded is signed for by the sack I think it is signed for in DVLA's post room so not Royal Mails problem, not sure about the situation with Special Delivery.

OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Recorded is signed for by the sack I think it is signed for in DVLA's post room so not Royal Mails problem, not sure about the situation with Special Delivery.

From the horses mouth

What I did explain is that applications sent via track and trace are signed for in the Swansea sorting office and then brought to the agency

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I really do feel for you Jon. :cry:

Compared to your dilema, I got off lightly it seems, as it was up plating documentation they appeared to have lost, but as posted last night, as soon as I provided them with photographic proof of the documentation, and a timed and dated signature on their behalf, things moved very swiftly.

I wish you the very best of luck with it (y) and hope you can still get away before the winter weather arrives.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
The "Swansea Home for the bewildered". has never been "fit for purpose". Ever since they "lost" my HGV entitlement, and previously my Friends Motorcycle entitlement. I have had no faith whatsoever in that mob. Sack the lot and re-open the local offices, where you could at least have a good argument over a counter when they got it wrong!.

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
My V5 was sent off for a correction in March, still no sign of it.
I had a web chat yesterday. After getting past the robot I got to communicate with a human called Sue. Apart from giving me a link which told me what I already knew it was a waste of time.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Jon

I have only just opened this thread.

I have just had reason to find out about Type Approval and the need for vehicles of whatever age in my dealings with the Polish authorities for my Arto(2003)

I think this from the Vehicle Certification Agency might help, if you have not seen it already.

https://www.vehicle-certification-agency.gov.uk/vehicle-type-approval/motor-caravan-certification/

They were trying to tell me I needed a Type Approval number but in light of my research have capitulated IRO my 2003 vehicle.

Good Luck.

Geoff

Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
DVLA are a strange breed right now if you can’t do it online. We tried to retrieve my wife’s private plate off her smart car recently, couldn’t do it online ? We sent the requested paperwork and waited for months until we forgot about it. Eventually the retention certificate arrives and to this day they have never cashed the £80 cheque.
Yesterday I re assigned it online and it all went through ok ?
Phil
I tried to take a number off my van to put on the motorhome but couldn’t do it online due to the van not having 5 years tax or sorn , I think it was owned by an airport before me so may have not been road registered .

i posted both V5c off with a cheque on the 16th sept , got the new V5s for both vehicles today in the post which was a surprise

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
I tried to take a number off my van to put on the motorhome but couldn’t do it online due to the van not having 5 years tax or sorn , I think it was owned by an airport before me so may have not been road registered .

i posted both V5c off with a cheque on the 16th sept , got the new V5s for both vehicles today in the post which was a surprise
Glad yours arrived quickly. Ours got caught up in the early covid mail backlog. After commenting, my wife tells me her cheque was cashed today.
Phil

Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
I did read people have been refusing to work at the DVLA due to them not adhering to the guidance which would explain the backlog.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Please, could any one give me an e mail address for me to contact DVLA.

The V5 of the MoHO i bought 2 months ago has still not arrived. The seller and i sent the duly completed V5 on 28th July.
Ta

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Sent mails to the bottom 2. Fingers crossed for a response. #2 on the list i cannot actually find a place where you sent them a msg, it's a sort of FAQ site. It did say you could register a vehicle on line but NOT if the paper one has already been sent in the post.
Thanks again.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
If you have got to the end of the "nice and pleasant" dealings with them then you need to instigate a formal complaint. After that you get your MP to act on your behalf and get this lady to investigate:

You do have to go through your MP though as she can't take up complaints directly from the public. Once I made a referral I had resolution within the week.

OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
If you have got to the end of the "nice and pleasant" dealings with them then you need to instigate a formal complaint. After that you get your MP to act on your behalf and get this lady to investigate:

You do have to go through your MP though as she can't take up complaints directly from the public. Once I made a referral I had resolution within the week.
I think we might be fast approaching that stage. I spoke to somebody yesterday afternoon who was clearly looking at my application and yet the priority team member who I emailed this morning again said that it still hadn't turned up. She also had the gall to say that I should have asked them how to send it back!!!!!!!

Jul 11, 2009
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Concorde Compact
Exp
Since I was 18.... 1996....
They are useless.

I lost my father at Christmas and both their motorhome and car as registered in his name.

I duly followed process and sent off details , V5 's etc to be put in my mum's name. Both duly arrived in my name and the tax refund in my name as well......

My medical licence renewal every three years is inevitably always trying. Due next March wish me luck ....

Daniel.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Both e-mails sent to 2 of the above addresses have bounced back. I despair. So that's 3 of the 4.
I hate using telephones of but spose i am going to have to. (in fact i hate loath and detest telephones full stop)

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Still waiting for weight upgrade since March and have re sent off paperwork, spoke to a nice young man who told me I could still use the vehicle but when I explained the weight issues it confused him! I was told they are working their way through the applications with a limited staff so it may be some time!!

OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Still waiting for weight upgrade since March and have re sent off paperwork, spoke to a nice young man who told me I could still use the vehicle but when I explained the weight issues it confused him! I was told they are working their way through the applications with a limited staff so it may be some time!!
They told me yesterday they were ip to the 8th September. Didn't say which year though.....

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Thanks for that, helpful. Mine is almost the same. Recently bought so change of name AND weight reduction from 3650 to 3500. So i am hoping i am legal using it 🤔
Sent the paperwork 28th July.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I think we might be fast approaching that stage. I spoke to somebody yesterday afternoon who was clearly looking at my application and yet the priority team member who I emailed this morning again said that it still hadn't turned up. She also had the gall to say that I should have asked them how to send it back!!!!!!!

Your next stage is to make a formal complaint. Use the phone and ask them to log the complaint and inform them that the clock is ticking ......... note who you spoke to and when (date and time) record the phone call if you can. After 7 days get your MP involved and ask for a referral to the ombudsman but you might have to tell your MP that the ombudsman actually exists as many MPs appear woefully ignorant of her existence.

Don't take COVID as an excuse - there is allowing extra time for processing and then there is incompetence, from what you have said you are facing the latter and not the former.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
For Jon(OP)

Never mind the business of post etc.

Jon have you quoted the info from VCA that I linked to in my post #12? That seems to be explicit and it was conclusive here in Poland.

Geoff

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back