Duvalay 5cm portable toppers. (1 Viewer)

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
Im sure this has been talked to death but i haven't managed to find a thread. Are these things as good as they claim?I don't want the sleeping bags as i normally wind up ripping them so just thinking of the roll out/ roll up portable topper at 77cm wide (x2). At least this way WHEN i decide i don't want to share a bed with the wife i can make up 2 singles ( great thinking eh?).Anyhow are they any good please to those who have used them?

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Great. Wouldn't be without ours!! Makes a cr*p mattress like sleeping on a cloud!!

See this for a double.........(y)
Broken Link Removed

Singles as well on the pull down box.

OP
OP
Daveo2006

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
thought i would go with 2 singles as easier to store and roll up ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We have a double, which we roll up when needed on the luton bed, but most times when travelling, we leave the bed made up. :)

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
As Tootles says, memory foam can transform the bed into a luxury sleeping environment. Being cheapskates, we purchased a 5cm double topper from ebay and cut the corner to fit our fixed bed, but you can buy whatever size is best for you. Couldn't believe the difference it made.

Duvalay certainly have a very good reputation, albeit a tad pricey. Guess folk will say 'you get what you pay for', but the cheapy option has worked for us for 3 years. You pays your money and takes your choice...

Mike

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We bought a topper when we had the Autoquest and had to make up the bed. Trimmed it as Mike mentions to use on the Burstner. I reckon I sleep more comfortably in the van than at home if anything - and we have a full memory foam mattress at home :D

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
We have two 5cm single Duvalays on Udo's fixed rear double. They're held together with a fitted double sheet.

We bought them before Udo's recent week-long trip and have been very pleased with them. They've transformed the old mattress completely and have totally outperformed the previous non-Duvalay topper. We put that on Udo's drop-down bed for our 11 year-old son.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Im sure this has been talked to death but i haven't managed to find a thread. Are these things as good as they claim?I don't want the sleeping bags as i normally wind up ripping them so just thinking of the roll out/ roll up portable topper at 77cm wide (x2). At least this way WHEN i decide i don't want to share a bed with the wife i can make up 2 singles ( great thinking eh?).Anyhow are they any good please to those who have used them?

Agree with all said, got a single 5cm for Mrs BB as she has a back prob. What a difference and it's stopped her snoring all piggin night, so I got one myself, but I still snore(allegedly). Brilliant if a bit bulky and we wouldn't be without them now.

OP
OP
Daveo2006

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
Well i purchased 2 5cm portable toppers but was let down on the delivery so had nothing at all to put down as the double memory foam we had was just about to fall in half. We had bought it from Dunelm and paid a small fortune for it , they were very good and took it back although we only received a credit note. I made the decision to not wait in for the 2 new toppers on Friday and they turned up that evening gone 6 o' clock . We will get to try them out this weekend though but we are away without the dogs so might be to pickled to appreciate them.:)

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
I have been sitting on the fence about these toppers. I was looking around on Ebay and found 2ft 6" x 5cm £23.50 and 7.5 cm. £35.50
Is the 5cm ones deep enough ? or would the 7.5 be worth the wee bit extra. However would the extra thickness may make them too hard to roll up and store ??

I bow to to your vast experience wisdom :)

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
I have been sitting on the fence about these toppers. I was looking around on Ebay and found 2ft 6" x 5cm £23.50 and 7.5 cm. £35.50
Is the 5cm ones deep enough ? or would the 7.5 be worth the wee bit extra. However would the extra thickness may make them too hard to roll up and store ??

I bow to to your vast experience wisdom :)

Mrs and self tried the cheap ones and they were a waste of money as they failed to supply any support for her bad back, so we binned them and went for a Duvalay. Job jobbed!

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
We have 2 single Duvalays,to save space we keep them on the single seats/beds,put a blanket on the one seat in the day for the dog.

Our current van is a Rhythm and we do the same(minus the dog).

Sutton35

Free Member
Jun 28, 2014
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2010

We have use two single duvalay sleepers for the last four years, can be used as a single or a double. Brilliant peace of kit...

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Bit of a bump but in case this hasn't been posted elsewhere (I've looked) Raskelf (Duvalay) have an offer on till 17th November, up to 25 percent off. So pleased are we with the toppers in the van that yesterday at 9am we ordered a double for our bed and a single for the spare room. City Link delivered both at half nine this morning. Having checked them and found no probs they are airing. How's that for service, and the bit I really like is a big sign on each stating...........'Lovingly handmade in Britain'.(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Does anyone find them hot.

I wondered because we tried some memory foam pillows, fine in the winter but hot and sweaty in the summer.

I would like to try a topper if possible, if only because a new mattress is £600+.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Does anyone find them hot.
I wondered because we tried some memory foam pillows, fine in the winter but hot and sweaty in the summer.
I would like to try a topper if possible, if only because a new mattress is £600+.

Have to say that we don't find our Duvalay hot just very comfortable, they are also hypoallergenic and treated for dustmites which is good for Mrs BB as she is an asthmatic. (she snores too(n)). Good value quite honestly can't wait to try out our new one's for the house tonight. (no double entendre intended.)(y)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We wanted a double Duvalay sleeping bag including topper for the truck, but they only do singles that your supposed to fasten together. :(

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
We have 2 single duvalays. No I don't find them hot and at the risk of over sharing I'm a lady of a certain age.

However, I've spent a very sweaty uncomfortable night dreaming I was being eaten by a roasted marshmallow in my friends spare bed..which was a very expensive memory foam jobby. :Eeek:

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
We wanted a double Duvalay sleeping bag including topper for the truck, but they only do singles that your supposed to fasten together. :(

It's a good company despite the Dragon's Den input (££££££) and I think if enough people showed an interest in a double zip together doss bag they'd do it. They certainly adapt mattresses to suit (even for Swift or lilos:D as I prefer to call them)

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
We have 2 single duvalays. No I don't find them hot and at the risk of over sharing I'm a lady of a certain age.

However, I've spent a very sweaty uncomfortable night dreaming I was being eaten by a roasted marshmallow in my friends spare bed..which was a very expensive memory foam jobby. :Eeek:

Just been looking after friends dogs at their home. Same thing, stupendously expensive mattresses, too hot and not particularly comfortable.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013

If you are any good with a sewing machine you could easily make one...

Buy the double mattress topper, double duvet and 2 duvet covers. Sew the 2 duvet covers together along one long edge, then sew the bottom edge together BUT leaving the gaps with the buttons/poppers un sewn. Therefore you have access for the topper and the duvet but the bottom is secure. Not sure if I've explained that very well, I can feel a migraine coming on! Of course it will be big and unwieldy to change the covers and I'm not 100% sure what you'd gain over just using an normal duvet and sheet

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
If you are any good with a sewing machine you could easily make one...

Buy the double mattress topper, double duvet and 2 duvet covers. Sew the 2 duvet covers together along one long edge, then sew the bottom edge together BUT leaving the gaps with the buttons/poppers un sewn. Therefore you have access for the topper and the duvet but the bottom is secure. Not sure if I've explained that very well, I can feel a migraine coming on! Of course it will be big and unwieldy to change the covers and I'm not 100% sure what you'd gain over just using an normal duvet and sheet
That's what we do now, duvet, and a sheet over a 2" mattress topper. Considering the costs involved, might just keep it at that.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
That's what we do now, duvet, and a sheet over a 2" mattress topper. Considering the costs involved, might just keep it at that.

Whilst I like a doss bag under a tree, in the van a duvet is definitely the answer, (cue the dossbaggers............'no it isn't').

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Whilst I like a doss bag under a tree, in the van a duvet is definitely the answer, (cue the dossbaggers............'no it isn't').
I suppose, for the grand outlay of £120.00, you could by a couple of ex Army maggots, and stitch them together to make a double. (Only REME got doubles when I was in)...:ROFLMAO: That way, you could keep them in a double stuff bag.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm sure that if you go to Age UK they'll give you a demonstration of how to use zips.
Right, will do that MATE..........Just tell me the days your on duty, and I will pop in.....MATE........(y)

Reactions: GJH

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back