Ducting length? (1 Viewer)

vantastic

Free Member
Jun 25, 2019
Funster No
MH
Crafter xlwb
I've installed a Truma 4e and I'm currently running my ducting. There is one length in particular I'm a little bit worried about. It's the longest run by bar at about 5m and it has several 90 degree bends. I'm trying to get an understanding of maximum length and maximum number of bends.

This run will require me to drill through a couple of panels I really don't want holes in unless the duct is going to go through so I can't easily test this before committing.

The duct is going to the sleeping area so keeping it a small bit cooler than the rest of the van is ok but I also don't wan't to lose most of the heat in the duct.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I am no expert on Truma but I can tell you that the approx 3mtr run to the front of our van means the air is decidedly cool and has a pathetic airflow.

Sorry I have no idea how many bends it has along its length.

OP
OP
V

vantastic

Free Member
Jun 25, 2019
Funster No
MH
Crafter xlwb
Ooh, 3m and cold air? That's not ideal.
I may have to significantly change my plans in that case.
Are the ducts insulated?

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Ooh, 3m and cold air? That's not ideal.
I may have to significantly change my plans in that case.
Are the ducts insulated?

I just had a quick look but I can't see them.

It's a IH PVC so I suspect not. :(

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Our longest lengths must be about 5m using what looks like 3" duct. When the fan is running at slow speed there is not a lot coming out the furthest end and most of the heat has been dissipated but when the fan runs harder it is a quite useful amount of warm air.
I should ring truma technical and ask them alternatively you could try to work it out from the back pressure figues for the duct itself.
Try to insulate the ducts whee you can, but not under shower floor or wardrobe of course!
Mike

OP
OP
V

vantastic

Free Member
Jun 25, 2019
Funster No
MH
Crafter xlwb
Not under shower floor and wardrobe? Why not?
I will be running this under the shower tray and being right on the floor that was one of the main places I was concerned about.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Could you utilise a 3" computer fan (or sized to your duct) somewhere within the 5mtr run to increase flow.
If the air is travelling faster it will retain more heat.
Shouldnt take much to design a housing for it and wire it back to the heater fan.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Our longest run is about 6m with 5 outlets (two permanently closed in external lockers) and at least two rightangle bends. Airflow from the end is zilch

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I had 2 Truma Saphirs on the Flair, admittedly I am commenting on cooling rather than heating but on one unit there were 2 off at least 5 metre runs to the pelmet which then had 4 off vents. Basically it was crap. Airflow just noticeable and cooling virtually useless. I would imagine the same would be true for heating.

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Sorry, perhaps I didnt type it right but I meant to suggest that you do not insulate the duct under the shower floor or the wardrobe! Our Lunar has the duct encased inside the rear underbed locker, I have always had those vents closed off but I think the design is that even when the flap is closed, there is stil a very little air which leaks out and it does work to dry out anything damp in that large locker.

Also, I added a electric hot water kit some years ago and the truma is under the bed. When its really cold and we are on hookup, the water heating element is quite enough to keep us toastie!

There have been several discussions about how to control the Truma from a distance, using an extra switch, well worth it if you arrange things to be able to turn on the hot air heater whilst still under a warm duvet!
Mike

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back