Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
I went to the main dealer for a litre of engine oil today and was pleasantly surprised

£10.20 + vat

Looking at motor factor prices there was very little difference (25p) and i got the OE

Result methinks(y)

Davylambretta

Free Member
Jun 12, 2017
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Where are you sounds a bit dear I got Vauxhall oil 5ltrs from Q parts in Irvine for that last year

OP
OP
Bobby22

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Where are you sounds a bit dear I got Vauxhall oil 5ltrs from Q parts in Irvine for that last year

I never need oil between changes, only ever buy 5ltr.

I was in Inverness, bought the oil from the main dealer as needed for warranty. 0W-30 fully synthetic Fiat OE part number.

I don't know what vauxhalls use but i was happy with £12 odds

The van is running in so likely to use a bit.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I just bought 7 Litres for £21.90 which is £3.12 a litre including VAT and free delivery.

Got to love Amazon.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I just bought 7 Litres for £21.90 which is £3.12 a litre including VAT and free delivery.

Got to love Amazon.
a slightly unfair comparison though Grommit, yours is 10/40 semi synth while the OPs is 0/30 fully synth and low sulphur.

D.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
a slightly unfair comparison though Grommit, yours is 10/40 semi synth while the OPs is 0/30 fully synth and low sulphur.

D.
I didn't see him say that. My apologies. Just re-read and can see he does in a later post. My Bad. Was early I had just woken up :p

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I went to the main dealer for a litre of engine oil today and was pleasantly surprised

£10.20 + vat

Looking at motor factor prices there was very little difference (25p) and i got the OE

Result methinks(y)
SNAP!

A fortnight ago, I discovered exactly the same thing.

Found our 12-month-old van had low oil level, so needed to find some urgently as we were due to go travelling. Hunted around on the net and only source of the exact OE I found was a motor factor in the Midlands.

Rang local Fiat dealer and they quoted almost the same price - so picked up a couple of 1 litre cans, one to add straight away and one to carry on board.

But like you, I was pleasantly surprised to find the price hadn't been inflated - albeit, it is quite expensive.

Just as an aside, previous Euro 4 Ducato (2010) never required any oil between services, so wasn't expecting current one to. Likewise, none of the vehicles I've owned for the last 8 - 10 years have required oil top-ups between routine servicing - kind of thought that was the way of the world with modern engines. Obviously, not so... ;)

OP
OP
Bobby22

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
SNAP!

A fortnight ago, I discovered exactly the same thing.

Found our 12-month-old van had low oil level, so needed to find some urgently as we were due to go travelling. Hunted around on the net and only source of the exact OE I found was a motor factor in the Midlands.

Rang local Fiat dealer and they quoted almost the same price - so picked up a couple of 1 litre cans, one to add straight away and one to carry on board.

But like you, I was pleasantly surprised to find the price hadn't been inflated - albeit, it is quite expensive.

Just as an aside, previous Euro 4 Ducato (2010) never required any oil between services, so wasn't expecting current one to. Likewise, none of the vehicles I've owned for the last 8 - 10 years have required oil top-ups between routine servicing - kind of thought that was the way of the world with modern engines. Obviously, not so... ;)
I have had the same experience as yourself, never had to top up any vehicle. I had a new 2013 ducato and never needed topping up.

After reading the handbook, i am not alarmed as it states that it should settle once run in.

Even looking for substitutes for OE from the likes of Halfords is a minefield and more expensive.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back