Drunk in charge whilst asleep. (4 Viewers)

Jan 7, 2023
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Fleurette Wincester
Exp
Since Jan 2023
Just came across this video. In summary, if you sleep in your motorhome whilst drunk you are technically in charge of that vehicle whilst drunk and could be prosecuted (the motorhome bit is towards the end) :

I assume this is only when on public roads, but even so.

Thoughts?

Mar 14, 2020
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2015, still learning
Might be a myth but I remember something about the keys having to be in the ignition for that accusation to be levelled at you. We’ll see

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Technically yes. But there has to be an intention to drive and this can be avoided by not having the keys in the ignition or on your person, turning the seats around, putting on a steering lock etc.
Applies to a highway or other public place. A public place is defined as a place the public have access to by way of payment or otherwise. So a campsite could be a public place.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
It's been discussed before, police would have to prove an intention to drive which would be difficult if you were in bed asleep

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
daventess
Jan 7, 2023
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Fleurette Wincester
Exp
Since Jan 2023
It had just never occured to me, tbh. Got tipsey in a pub carpark stopover the other week ...

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Yes, no getting away from it, if drinking in the van you are guilty of the offence. But you have a defence if you can prove you have no intention to drive.

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Has anyone been prosecuted or does anybody know anyone who has ever been prosecuted?
Yes. In a previous life I arrested a chap asleep in his car in the gate area of the local rugby club.
He was over the limit and at interview (stupidly) admitted that he would have driven home about an hour later. Had he said he would drive in the morning when sober he would probably not have been charged.
So, basically show and demonstrate no intention to drive.

Upvote 0

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
As said, it's been discussed here many times, and no I do not recollect ever seeing such a prosecution. It's a bit like the thing about getting your head down in a layby when over tired, but it says no camping. Technically they could do you, but I suspect if they ever did, there would be a massive outcry because we are constantly told if tired we should stope and get some shuteye.

However, I have been concerned more than once when away on rallies with Fun where the drinking has gone on very late and people have had a skinful by the noise level, but get up next morning and drive a 3.5 ton or heavier killing machine while probably still under the influence.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
This seems to have been running for many many years.

Has anyone been prosecuted or does anybody know anyone who has ever been prosecuted?

(Not somebody who knows somebody who heard somebody down the pub had been).

Similar to when someone’s mate of a mates Grandads dog got gassed in France! :rolleyes:

It had just never occured to me, tbh. Got tipsey in a pub carpark stopover the other week ...

that wouldn’t be a problem as on private land.

Upvote 0
Sep 19, 2016
romford
Funster No
MH
rollerteam 259p
Exp
owned vw in 90's just purchased rollerteam
The police don't have to prove intention to drive, as you would be in charge of the vehicle. I have no knowledge of anyone ever being woken up and arrested for being in charge.

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
At a campsite I used to frequent campers used to drive their cars to just inside the gate, park up and walk across to the pub opposite.
After having a few they would walk back over the road and drive back to their pitch.
Being a public place they risked being prosecuted.

Upvote 0

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
The former North Riding of Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.
At a campsite I used to frequent campers used to drive their cars to just inside the gate, park up and walk across to the pub opposite.
After having a few they would walk back over the road and drive back to their pitch.
Being a public place they risked being prosecuted.

Yup.

People don't always understand what the definition of a 'public' highway is.

Upvote 0

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.
Yes, most topics come around in a circle on a forum, especially large, busy ones.

Indeed I don't think I said otherwise Jim.

I was simply making the the point that despite the fact it's been propagated for many years on many forums I don't know of anyone who has been prosecuted for the offence in such circumstances.

Upvote 0
Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
You really would have to hope that knocking on motorhome doors to breathalyse sleeping campers would be way down on a local constabulary's list of priorities. I'm assuming that to be 'in charge' you have to be actually in the vehicle. If that's the case then next time I have a beer (or 2) I'll sleep in a small tent beside the van.

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
You really would have to hope that knocking on motorhome doors to breathalyse sleeping campers would be way down on a local constabulary's list of priorities. I'm assuming that to be 'in charge' you have to be actually in the vehicle. If that's the case then next time I have a beer (or 2) I'll sleep in a small tent beside the van.
That would be Drunk with intent. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Upvote 0
Nov 15, 2023
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I would only drink if I was either on a campsite or felt 100% safe, we always put the keys in the safe and the seats are always rotated, I definitely wouldn’t drink if I thought there was a chance we could be moved on, if it were to happen as we both drive which one of us would be done ?

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

People are caught drunk in charge in cars and vans every single day. The law provides anyone who is drunk in charge with a legal defence, if they can show they had no intention of driving, they are not guilty.

If you are over the limit in a motorhome, you are just as guilty, but your defence comes much easier, and is easier to prove, than if you are in a car. Which is likely why you have never heard of it happening. It's very unlikely to happen.

A police officer is much more likely to believe you if you are in a motorhome, but it still pays to play it safe. You can show/prove your lack of intent in a number of ways as outlined in the article I posted above. Something as simple as a windscreen cover, for example, and you are likely not to be bothered at all.

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
I would only drink if I was either on a campsite or felt 100% safe, we always put the keys in the safe and the seats are always rotated, I definitely wouldn’t drink if I thought there was a chance we could be moved on, if it were to happen as we both drive which one of us would be done ?
Depending on the circumstances, possibly both. Either could drive. Either could show intent to drive. Both would have to prove no intent to drive.

Upvote 0

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.
People are caught drunk in charge in cars and vans every single day. The law provides anyone who is drunk in charge with a legal defence, if they can show they had no intention of driving, they are not guilty.

If you are over the limit in a motorhome, you are just as guilty, but your defence comes much easier, and is easier to prove, than if you are in a car. Which is likely why you have never heard of it happening. It's very unlikely to happen.

A police officer is much more likely to believe you if you are in a motorhome, but it still pays to play it safe. You can show/prove your lack of intent in a number of ways as outlined in the article I posted above. Something as simple as a windscreen cover, for example, and you are likely not to be bothered at all.

Yes, I know this.

Sorry if I have committed some sort of transgression by pointing out it's a rare if ever situation that somebody has been caught drunk in the circumstances outlined.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back