Driving to Scotland (1 Viewer)

Nojazz

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Funster No
I have to drive to Thurso at the northern tip of Scotland at some point in the next two weeks, if anyone has advice re driving conditions I would be grateful. I think now is not the time to go but maybe things will improve later this month - I live in hope!!!!

I am coming from south wales.

Nojazz

Macytia

Free Member
Nov 30, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
4 years
Nice journey:ROFLMAO: Used to do it 3 times a year, the best surf in the UK. It usually takes me 10-12 hours from North Wales.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
nice place to go and we too often go.

Just come back from a skiing trip. Basically if your going in the next couple of weeks I would reccomend taking snow chains. we didn't need ours but ever so ever so nearly.:winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bazfergy

Free Member
Apr 20, 2009
dumfries scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years
The conditions just now are pretty bad if youre planning on using the a9,but hopefully get better in the next few days.Drive carefully and keep a safe distance from the vehicle in front and have a great time:thumb:

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I use the link below to check out the road conditions, it has live-eye cameras as far north as Helsmdale and as far south as Crocketford. Quite interesting when there is a lot of snow about.

http://www.trafficscotland.org/traffic

Rgds
Bill

OP
OP
N

Nojazz

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Funster No
Thanks to everyone so far, I will keep checking.

Nojazz

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
SNOW - KEEP OUT OF SCOTLAND

Sorry to be a stick in the mud, but it's a damn sight better there than being stuck in the snow!!

The weather, according to to our local TV stations, is the worst for 30 years. We've just driven down to Sussex for Christmas and back here for Mahogany, as it's known locally.

Aploogies for bullshine, but I've driven trucks in Scandinavia and done 3 Monte Carlo Rallies, and I've never met quite such bad conditions, mainly due to Local Authorities using the wrong sort of salt!! (Honest, and I didn't mean snow!) On the M74, Carlsisle to Glasgow, the salt was emulsifying when it hit the windscreen, and no windscreen washer could clear it - they just smeared everything. Cars, lorries even, were stopping every 50 yards or so on the M-way to clean screens and wiper blades of the filth. We just saw the Services sign as we crawled past, and all the drivers were complaining about it.

At one point I drove into a snowbank to avod hitting the vehicle ahead of me, who was all over the place trying to avoid the crash ahead of him!

Local temp here is about 16 below (C)...

Cheers!!!!

So, I urge you all to keep out, and make sure you've bought plenty of screen wash as service stations are ripping off wholesale

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back