kugaman1

Free Member
Apr 12, 2021
NE Scotland
Funster No
MH
Still looking!!
Hi,
how do people get on with the driving position?

We are rather concerned as we have been saving for a very long time to buy a motorhome and have now found a problem....

Im 6ft 2in and am struggling to find a position that allows me to drive the vehicles?

I have test driven a Swift Escape 684 and an Elddis Autoquest 195.....in both vehicles I struggled when changing gear, as my knee hits the steering wheel every time I lift the clutch...

Tried just about every combination of wheel/seat adjustment but couldnt find a position that stopped this happening.....

Are all models the same? Does anyone else find this an issue?

Any recommended models where this isnt such a problem?

Thank you in advance.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Kugaman(OP)

As has been identified the problem may be that you are testing Coachbuilt. Also what seats are fitted? Probably not the original if they swivel, but maybe not the better brands that 'A' Class manufacturers fit.

I think our seats in our N&B Arto are ISRO and they have the usual forward/back and vertical adjustments but also one can lower/raise the front and back of the squab.

One additional adjustment I would like is lumber support, which I enjoyed when driving VW T5s for many hours on M/ways, but one can put a frame or cushion to support the lumber area.

The view upwards, e.g. for overhead signs, or even better Swiss mountains, must be a consideration for a tall person who has to elevate the seat for pedal/wheel positions. Our Arto has a huge screen. I would not like an overcab which protrudes beyond the windscreen.

Look at some older 'A' Class - some good quality ones out there and about the same price as coachbuilts after years of depreciation. At least test drive one to see if it solves your seat problem.

Geoff

Upvote 0
May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
I'm 6'3" and have no problems with the driving position in my Ducato, but it is automatic 🙂👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Griff097

LIFE MEMBER
May 19, 2021
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
I'm 4ft87, and my only option to make sure I would reach the pedals has been to first of all sit and try, never mind the layout ... it came third after damp.
If your 11.25 feet then you must have more problems than me with cab layouts to be fair.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Griff097

LIFE MEMBER
May 19, 2021
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Out A class Hymer on a Fiat 2.8 chassis is very comfortable to drive to be fair, I drive a mk 7 Transit daily and its reasonably comfortable, I can't drive anything smaller T5's are uncomfortable, I hope I am not making a mistake selling this one.

Upvote 0

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
In my Left Hand Drive, Ducato based, manual, A Class the gearstick hits my knee when changing into 2, 4 or 6. It's because the swivel base lifts the seat height and I'm a long legged 6ft3. I'm OK with getting my legs under the wheel thou.

However ... in RHD drive auto box, Ducato cabbed motorhomes or PVC's the gearstick, steering wheel, legs interface is OK but the swivel seat base causes my eye-line to be too far up the screen for decent all-round visibility.

I reckon my ideal would be a new Merc based left hand drive A Class Auto as the gear sector is on the steering column and generally LHD Mercs are properly set up ergonomically. On the otherhand RHD Merc cars are terrible for tall folk as the pedals are so far offset from the steering wheel.
I had the eyeline problem viewing the speedo & rev counter, whilst also getting neck ache. Solved the problem by moving the seat back 1 notch and by tilting the seat back a little [just less than 1/4 turn from 'feel'; stopped the rotation as soon as my right hand felt uncomfortable [very technical measure!]].

Steve

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back