nigglynelly

Free Member
Jul 31, 2009
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Apologies if this has already been discussed but I would appreciate any advice for driving motorhomes in very windy gusty conditions?

I had a terrible journey back from Norfolk recently in high winds which has made me a rather reluctant to venture out in gusty conditions. I still want to continue using my van and as strong winds seem to be a regular weather condition these days any driving advice to increase my confidence would be welcome.

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
The best advise has been given :thumb: well done papa Jon
SLOW DOWN even to a crawl if the wind is strong
Stop in a safe place for a while the winds may drop
Don't let the weather stop your enjoyment of the motor home :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
air ride suspension helps, but with any big vehicle, the best advice is slow down as already said or find somewhere safe to stop for a cuppa and a rest. high winds are outside your control, but staying safe is as simple as watching the weather forecast and avoiding it

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Great advice above, however like when snow falls - "do you need to travel" as they say.

The nice thing about the MH is you can stop for the day/night and let the weather pass.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Great advice already given:Smile:

You can also try to predict strong side winds and when they’ll affect you the most:whatthe:

Tall hedgerows along the roadsides will offer an element of protection, until you reach a sizeable gap and then you’re going to feel the increase against the side of the vehicle and can be prepared for it:Smile:

Passing larger vehicles can also bring on a similar affect when the wind is blocked by them as you pass, just be careful and be ready to compensate once you pass again:Smile:

Best option of all is the one to find shelter and simply park up and put the kettle on.

It’s what motorhoming is all about:thumb::thumb:

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Driving in high winds

This is always a little unnerving, and I'm sure my advice is something you will already know as I'm sure you will have plenty of "normal" driving experience. First, I'd agree with the "slow down" advice, but I'd add to that, "resist any temptation to either grip the wheel too tightly, or over-correct any apparent movement". This is a bit like not gripping a golf club too hard as it ruins your feel and control. If you are constantly reacting to every gust, instead of allowing the van to recover on its own, you will find it more stressful and tiring. Hope that helps!

Gary:Smile:

AndyPandy

Free Member
Jun 14, 2012
Hartlepool
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Yes I raised this recently on here as we had driven back from Scotland in very high winds, in fact the A1 was closed behind us as an artic had gone over.

The best tip I got was to make the van more "bottom heavy". This can be done by taking heavy items from overhead cupboards and also fill with fuel and fill grey and fresh water tanks. Wow, what a difference it makes. I recon in our van we added 250 kgs of "ballast", and it made such an improvement.

We sail so are used to life at 40 degrees but it just ain't the same on the A1 lol

Happy sailing/motorhoming :roflmto:

Andy

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back