DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've posted this in my Sicily thread but as it isn't anything to do with Sicily, anyone interested in going to Switzerland might miss it*. :)

Here are some random dash cam shots of driving through the mountains of Switzerland. If there seem to be a lot of road works in the first half of the video then this is because there are a lot of roadworks in Switzerland! The video is too long but on the limited editing you can do on an Android tablet it will have to suffice.

After the roadworks, the video shows us going up a lot of hairpin bends and it finishes with us stopping on a very small unguarded edge where I took some pictures. :)

Switzerland is a fun driving place - but do stick to the speed limits. Even the Italians do here. :)

*This is MHF, why wouldn't you look under "Sicily" for information on Switzerland? They start with the same letter. :)

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
Oooo - that made me feel a bit uncomfortable sat safely at home on my sofa hubby would love it tho - although all I would hear is should of done this on the motorbike!!

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Oooo - that made me feel a bit uncomfortable sat safely at home on my sofa hubby would love it tho - although all I would hear is should of done this on the motorbike!!
There were lots of motorbikes on the Susstenpass, which is the one with the hairpin bends and the airy ledge at the end. And a few cyclists - I pulled over to let one past as we descended as he was faster than me! :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
Impressive.Wewant to visit Switzerland and would really like to know the best time of year to do it. We want to avoid school holidays etc. We had anticipated going in May but daughter no 2 is expecting first baby then. Is September/October a good time?

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
A question and a couple of observations

A sight not often seen in the U.K. there were people repairing the road in those road works!

I had a bet with myself that you would catch that bus and you did, well done!

Question .......... would you say that was a typical mountain road, width wise steepness etc ?

Thanks for posting, very informative

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
Don't forget to pay the 40 euro road tax before you stray onto a motorway .

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Impressive.Wewant to visit Switzerland and would really like to know the best time of year to do it. We want to avoid school holidays etc. We had anticipated going in May but daughter no 2 is expecting first baby then. Is September/October a good time?

I think September would be very good. We're enjoying good weather at the moment but that may not be normal.

A question and a couple of observations

A sight not often seen in the U.K. there were people repairing the road in those road works!

I had a bet with myself that you would catch that bus and you did, well done!

Question .......... would you say that was a typical mountain road, width wise steepness etc ?

Thanks for posting, very informative

I think the video gives a good impression of a typical Swiss pass, we've been over several now and they are generally fairly narrow but we'll graded - not too steep.

Don't forget to pay the 40 euro road tax before you stray onto a motorway .

We're doing this without the vignette - my Garmin can pick routes which avoid the "toll sticker" as it calls them. This is probably a masochistic approach as today is going to be a bit slow and twisty but the autobahn would only save us an hour and a half according to the satnav.

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
I think September would be very good. We're enjoying good weather at the moment but that may not be normal.

I think the video gives a good impression of a typical Swiss pass, we've been over several now and they are generally fairly narrow but we'll graded - not too steep.

We're doing this without the vignette - my Garmin can pick routes which avoid the "toll sticker" as it calls them. This is probably a masochistic approach as today is going to be a bit slow and twisty but the autobahn would only save us an hour and a half according to the satnav.
We travelled from italy through switzerland last month all motorway lots of aires mountains views without the strain of having to go through the twisty passes well worth the money and about six hours faster at 50 mph.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Just take real care about not getting a vignette with the intention of avoiding motorways. As the vid shows there are LOTS of roadworks in Switzerland and we were "caught out" when there was simply no way round except for a very long "temporary" diversion (basically going back on ourselves for miles) which included a motorway. Fortunately we'd got the heavy vehicle pass (over 3500kg).

Lovely country but very expensive.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back