Driving from St Malo to Italy Guide (1 Viewer)

125BEER

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 5, 2018
PLYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
BENIMAR MILEO 282
Exp
Since 09 2018
Have you done a search of the forum?
I'm sure somebody will answer soon.

Cheers🍻

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Another vote for via Michelin

Apr 28, 2017
UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Envy 185
Exp
since 2002
We did a similar journey last year. We went from Dieppe to Rome!
However you have not mentioned where in Italy. It is a different route going to Verona and Venice than going to Genoa and Cinca Terra. Also you don't mention if you would like Slow n Scenic or Fast n Expensive. ( we prefer Slow and Scenic) One involves taking a few days stopping in vinyards and enjoying the drive and then going over the Alps, the other paying the tolls, hitting the motorways and going through the Tunnels.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
However you have not mentioned where in Italy. It is a different route going to Verona and Venice than going to Genoa and Cinca Terra. Also you don't mention if you would like Slow n Scenic or Fast n Expensive. ( we prefer Slow and Scenic) One involves taking a few days stopping in vinyards and enjoying the drive and then going over the Alps, the other paying the tolls, hitting the motorways and going through the Tunnels.
Hey Tim, we're looking to do the same route as you from Dieppe to Rome, mostly via the slow and scenic route, unless it makes any sense for brief toll road stretches that may be viable. I know the tunnels under the Alps are very expensive. But then maybe not when one considers no doubt a huge time, fuel and convenience difference. Is the scenery over the Alps worth it? We haven't booked the crossing yet, but I estimate it will be around the 2nd April and need to meet friends in Rome around the 8th. So it won't be too slow. I'd be interested in your rough outline. I know there's Google maps, via Michelin and About France for detail. It's more the look and feel of your experience, plus any tips natch. Thanks.

Apr 28, 2017
UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Envy 185
Exp
since 2002
Hi Julian C,
So the Boat on the 2nd and Rome on the 8th is hardly leisurely. Depending on which ferry you take. I always take the earliest (you can spend the night beforehand, in Newhaven at the entrance car park FOC if you have the ferry booked) So first day should get you to somewhere like Orleans or Auxerre ( both have Aires). The next decision is made at Mâcon, here you choose either Geneva- Chamonix- Martigny-Aosta route, or as we did last time Grenoble-Les Deux Alpes-Briançon. Geneva has a PnR, Grenoble has nowhere to stay the night, except there is a camp site near Vizille. We then went over the very spectacular Alps to Briançon,(D1091) which has a dedicated motorhome stopover as part of a carpark. Then on past Turin, Parma, to Florence, and finally to Roma. When we did it we took 10 days to get to Rome stopping at Wineries, exploring the Fort at Briançon, A day out in Turin. You get the picture. We returned the Aosta-Martigny (SS27) -Chamonix (D1506) route. This route has a tunnel alternative. One last consideration is that between Oct 15th to April 15th you must carry snow chains, in the Alps. I have driven over the Alps 4 times the Dolmites twice, and down the Troll road in Norway. Are you OK with numerous back to back hairpin bends? if so, just DO IT, it will be the drive of your life! Remember they even named a Ducati after the Stelvio pass!

Oct 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Hi Julian C,
So the Boat on the 2nd and Rome on the 8th is hardly leisurely. Depending on which ferry you take. I always take the earliest (you can spend the night beforehand, in Newhaven at the entrance car park FOC if you have the ferry booked) So first day should get you to somewhere like Orleans or Auxerre ( both have Aires). The next decision is made at Mâcon, here you choose either Geneva- Chamonix- Martigny-Aosta route, or as we did last time Grenoble-Les Deux Alpes-Briançon. Geneva has a PnR, Grenoble has nowhere to stay the night, except there is a camp site near Vizille. We then went over the very spectacular Alps to Briançon,(D1091) which has a dedicated motorhome stopover as part of a carpark. Then on past Turin, Parma, to Florence, and finally to Roma. When we did it we took 10 days to get to Rome stopping at Wineries, exploring the Fort at Briançon, A day out in Turin. You get the picture. We returned the Aosta-Martigny (SS27) -Chamonix (D1506) route. This route has a tunnel alternative. One last consideration is that between Oct 15th to April 15th you must carry snow chains, in the Alps. I have driven over the Alps 4 times the Dolmites twice, and down the Troll road in Norway. Are you OK with numerous back to back hairpin bends? if so, just DO IT, it will be the drive of your life! Remember they even named a Ducati after the Stelvio pass!
That's SO helpful Tim, thanks v much. My first question as a newbie has "paid" for my sub already. I was just saying to a friend that I was hoping to have some down time en route, but when I worked out the mileage and drive time roughly, I realised that it's a long drive from Somerset. We'll not be foolish though. We got squeezed with a lsst minute NHS appointment my wife's been battling to get for a long time. We had time after new year in the Dolomites at -12°C, and ran out of gas in the middle of the night!! Not happy campers. But just gorgeous up there so I hear what you say about just DO it! Thanks for the tip on snow chains. Not like the German guidelines of O to O (Oktober to Oster). I really appreciate your kindness.

Apr 28, 2017
UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Envy 185
Exp
since 2002
Hi Julian C,
One last tip, get armed with several motorhome stopover aps. I use Camper Contact, Park4Night, Search for sites, ACSI, and Pitchup! They are all similar, but all slightly different. A few quid invested could save a lot of stress (not to mention money)and help you stay safe! But most of all, ENJOY!
Ps. if you want to visit any of the sights in Rome book well in advance. For the Colosseum, yesterday is already too late!

Oct 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Hi Julian C,
One last tip, get armed with several motorhome stopover aps. I use Camper Contact, Park4Night, Search for sites, ACSI, and Pitchup! They are all similar, but all slightly different. A few quid invested could save a lot of stress (not to mention money)and help you stay safe! But most of all, ENJOY!
Ps. if you want to visit any of the sights in Rome book well in advance. For the Colosseum, yesterday is already too late!
Thank you Tim. Good advice. I've got all those, except Camper Contact. We found good value on ACSI in the Loire Valley and in Portugal. Certainly compared to UK sites, even the CAMC which is pricey when they charge per person. I've also seen that Camping Car Park gives another good option. Looks like an efficient system. Given the limited time, and snow chains, I'm going to take a rain check on the passes this time and bite the bullet on the toll tunnels to try and make up a bit of time. Then try for some rest time every 2nd day or so rather than exhaust ourselves or take chances. I agree that it's about enjoying ourselves. That's definitely the plan. Noted about Rome sights, thanks. But we're only meeting friends there then heading further south. Appreciate your advice.

Oct 5, 2022
Altrincham, UK
Funster No
MH
Geist Phantom
Exp
2005 had a motorhome had a gap now back
How do you find the roads with a motorhome, I herd the other drivers are scary.

Apr 28, 2017
UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Envy 185
Exp
since 2002
The roads are absolulty fine. Driving in Europe is like a breath of fresh air compared to here in Blighty.I have just driven back up from Lisbon to the Dieppe ferry to Newhaven. Home is Bognor Regis. More potholes between Newhaven and Bognor than all the way through Portugal, Spain and France put together. As for other drivers I have always found European drivers more helpful and tolerant than British drivers.

OP
OP
2Staffies
May 6, 2023
Grouville, Jersey
Funster No
MH
Hobby Ventura
Exp
New 2023
Anybody driven from St Malo to Italy?
Suggested routes would be helpful
Thanks for all your replies, I’m going to stay with friends in Geneva for a couple of nights so I have studied 2 Michelin routes which will suit me and a couple of Muicipal stops for 8 euros with 4 hour hook up if I need it. Will enter Italy via Turin.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back