Driving abroad without V5C doc. (1 Viewer)

fred flintstone

Free Member
Jul 12, 2016
lincoln
Funster No
MH
Pilote P690
Exp
Since 2007 on and off
Also when my car was impounded in Benidorm I couldn't get it back without the V5. Worst thing was that V5 was in glove box. They didn't want me to access the car so how could I show it to them, catch 22..o_O After much gesticulating they let me open the car..:mad:

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Also when my car was impounded in Benidorm I couldn't get it back without the V5. Worst thing was that V5 was in glove box. They didn't want me to access the car so how could I show it to them, catch 22..o_O After much gesticulating they let me open the car..:mad:

Idiots,that's where you are supposed to keep it surely,I am struggling with French beaurocracy at the moment after living here for years but seems not only here!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
A friend of ours was fined Euro 1000 if I remember correctly for no V5 or Insurance doc, he had to get them sent over from the UK!!

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Just remember Schengen no longer exists between some countries, and you may well be stopped. When I was stopped at borders recently I was asked for passports and driving licence but nothing else.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Does that mean that they requirement to provide V5 for repairs is to reduce theft?
No, they can't /won't look for parts without the vin /registration number in a main dealers. I've even seen it asked for in a scrap yard to identify a model.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
No, they can't /won't look for parts without the vin /registration number in a main dealers. I've even seen it asked for in a scrap yard to identify a model.

Just scrapped a UK vehicle in Spain, you have to have V5 and copy of passport

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
As many others have said, if you need a repair you need the V5 or a copy of it. When I needed a repair in France I had to get my stepson to find it at home and fax it. As the fax copy was acceptable I assume a photocopy would be too.

OP
OP
Candapack

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
New V5C came yesterday. Hooray.
But, while the Revenue Weight has been amended to show 3850kg, the Max permissible mass is still showing 3650kg.
Do I need to send it back?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
But, while the Revenue Weight has been amended to show 3850kg, the Max permissible mass is still showing 3650kg.
That's normal they do that in 90% of cases complete numpties. Took me 4 months to get a correct V5 after I upgraded.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Just carry the scanned copies with you. They should at least show you own the vehicle. Otherwise, just learn to shrug. Unless you have a major accident who is going to know?
To contradict myself I was subsequently pulled over in Santander ferry port. Spanish policeman wanted to see the V5. I had the original so don't know if he would have accepted a scanned copy. He was a remarkably glum individual with no obvious sense of humour, so probably not!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
To contradict myself I was subsequently pulled over in Santander ferry port. Spanish policeman wanted to see the V5. I had the original so don't know if he would have accepted a scanned copy. He was a remarkably glum individual with no obvious sense of humour, so probably not!
Had a car broken into once in Lyon they wouldn't even fill out a crime report I needed for the insurance until they had seen the V5. I did have the V5 but not on me so that wasted another couple of hours.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
The chances of being pulled in Europe on borders is much greater now, I was asked for passport mainly but also driving licence. (2013 went through 10 countries no border patrols & was never asked for anything) Best get everything in order before you travel.

OP
OP
Candapack

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks all for replies.
I phoned SV Tech who did the upgrade and explained what was on my new V5C.
The chap there said they never do change the "Max Permissible Weight", only the "Revenue Weight".
Seems odd?

Phillybarbour

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout Revo.
Exp
Since 2010
Always take our V5, never needed it??

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just ring them up and tell them they've not amended the other section, I had this and they just corrected it and sent out another one.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thanks all for replies.
I phoned SV Tech who did the upgrade and explained what was on my new V5C.
The chap there said they never do change the "Max Permissible Weight", only the "Revenue Weight".
Seems odd?
What a load of b*llocks!

I know exactly the reason the DVLA only ever changed the Tax class and not the other - it was because it wasn't in the DVLA's 'rule book' that they HAD to do both, hence it was never ever done - it was only when I personally contacted the DVLA when I'd got my new V5C back which had a Tax Class of 4250kg but a MPW of 3500kg that the manager there checked the 'rule book' and found it didn't mention changing the latter but agreed it should match and that she would forward details of this omission to get the 'rule book' amended to state that both bits had to be changed.

... so instead of SVTech getting in touch with the DVLA and telling them they've just let it stay as that knowing full well that it was wrong ... wonderful! SVTech are thought of as the 'holy grail' by a lot of people for vehicle uprating etc so if they couldn't be bothered to inform the DVLA of something which was wrong it doesn't sit well with me, especially for the money they charge and a simple phone call from them would have sorted it for everyone.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Taken from MY camper's new V5C:

upload_2016-8-6_10-23-53.png

OP
OP
Candapack

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
What a load of b*llocks!

I know exactly the reason the DVLA only ever changed the Tax class and not the other - it was because it wasn't in the DVLA's 'rule book' that they HAD to do both, hence it was never ever done - it was only when I personally contacted the DVLA when I'd got my new V5C back which had a Tax Class of 4250kg but a MPW of 3500kg that the manager there checked the 'rule book' and found it didn't mention changing the latter but agreed it should match and that she would forward details of this omission to get the 'rule book' amended to state that both bits had to be changed.

... so instead of SVTech getting in touch with the DVLA and telling them they've just let it stay as that knowing full well that it was wrong ... wonderful! SVTech are thought of as the 'holy grail' by a lot of people for vehicle uprating etc so if they couldn't be bothered to inform the DVLA of something which was wrong it doesn't sit well with me, especially for the money they charge and a simple phone call from them would have sorted it for everyone.
Thanks Minxy.
It did sound a bit like what you said, and it definitely seemed wrong to have 2 different weights showing.
I'll phone first thing Monday. (y)

OP
OP
Candapack

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
So, phoned on Monday. First thought was "aw naw, it's an Indian call centre". Turned out the very nice lady was just Welsh -( I can say that after the abuse I get for being Jockish.:D)
Anyway, phoned Monday, the new and correct V5C came today.
Thanks again Minxy Girl.

OldWomble

Free Member
Feb 22, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
AS Kemerton XL
Exp
25 years
Strange, we've had work done over there and never been asked for it. Regarding the vehicle weight, the V5 means diddlysquat! It's the "Plate" fixed to the vehicle that they go by.

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
However I have done dozens if not hundreds of trips into Europe with various vehicles over the last 25 years and never been asked for the V5. Insurance and licence yes, but not the V5.
I take this back. I was stopped last week in our UK reg van at a routine roadside check near our home in Brittany and asked to produce all documents. V5, insurance, MOT and driving licence. All very polite and I was soon on my way.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
I take this back. I was stopped last week in our UK reg van at a routine roadside check near our home in Brittany and asked to produce all documents. V5, insurance, MOT and driving licence. All very polite and I was soon on my way.
Hope Ian and Helga have their docs. Up to date?!

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
Interesting stuff. I've always carried the originals, but I think I'll make use of the work scanning and printing facilities to have copies handy as well, sounds like checks are on the increase and bound to need something fixing one day.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
When my clutch went in France a few years ago,I couldn't get it fixed without the V5
Yup. When my engine belt went, I had to show V5 for engine number to order a spare.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back