Driving a converted minibus, C1 or D1? (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I have found the DVLA can only work with what you tell them, if something is not following the rules as they have them then it's not right , full stop.
The people who are looking at your forms didn't make the rules just following them, if they cock it up it's their neck on the line.
If everything is done to their rules and no trying shortcuts or something, it will eventually get done.
We have found, you need to phone them and get someone higher up, get their name , then everything you do after wants sending directly to that person with their name on the envelope or email.
Then you get a line of details that this one person knows what you are doing instead of getting sent around different departments who want you to start all over again.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I have found the DVLA can only work with what you tell them, if something is not following the rules as they have them then it's not right , full stop.
The people who are looking at your forms didn't make the rules just following them, if they cock it up it's their neck on the line.
If everything is done to their rules and no trying shortcuts or something, it will eventually get done.
We have found, you need to phone them and get someone higher up, get their name , then everything you do after wants sending directly to that person with their name on the envelope or email.
Then you get a line of details that this one person knows what you are doing instead of getting sent around different departments who want you to start all over again.
DVLA have been a complete pain in the ass with mine ....ive still not got the taxation class changed....as they generally havent a clue.

But dvsa that deals with changing the test category etc were spot on...the technical officers know their stuff and reply with 20 minutes generally to emails etc .

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I've already asked svtech to do it as I need it done asap and didn't want any complications.

Agreed it's being downplated rather than down rated.

It will still have the higher heavier springs though!! Just need to all terrain tyres!

Should I ask them to change use to window van?

Cheers James
The taxation class and bodytype are 2 different things

What you are doing now regarding the downplating etc will change the taxation class from bus psv to plg and effectively changes the mot then from a psv test to a class 4 test.

The bodytype will currently be minibus and it can either stay like that or you can change it to van with side windows now ...and/or if you later meet the requirements for mototcaravan it can be changed to that.

Slightly different from mine as im keeping the heavier weight .so mine went from psv to HGV at the minute but once converted will also be a class 4 mot with phgv tax class.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Thanks Tam that's really helpful hope to get it sorted by next week.

I have yet to receive the v5 so I shall send it off tomorrow and hopefully catch them before they post it! If that happens I'll get a lottery ticket!!

Cheers James

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Thanks Tam that's really helpful hope to get it sorted by next week.

I have yet to receive the v5 so I shall send it off tomorrow and hopefully catch them before they post it! If that happens I'll get a lottery ticket!!

Cheers James
Im guessing youre downplating because you don't have c1? Its a pity as its cheaper to tax a phgv and the extra payload is always handy

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Yes

I don't need the extra payload as it only weighs in at 2.5t.

If I strip it all out I can still carry a jumbo bag of sand ect....

Happy days...

Cheers James

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back