Drivers over 70 stay at home! (2 Viewers)

Dec 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Story in today’s Sunday times,
image.jpg

Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
Having narrowly avoided an elderly driver head on going the wrong way down a dual carriage, it makes perfect sense.
Presumably you are nowhere near 70 years old yet?

Will your opinion change when you are? Competence to drive should be the only criteria - not age!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
I agree with that just let over 70s sit a test instead job done 👍

Every decade? Every year? Before you go out each day?

We have plenty of folk complaining about how effective CV19 tests are and how long they are valid: surely something similar should apply to another potentially life-threatening situation. ;)

Gordon

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
Presumably you are nowhere near 70 years old yet?

Will your opinion change when you are? Competence to drive should be the only criteria - not age!!
If you’re not fit to drive nobody should be allowed behind the wheel. The article explains it’s only related to those that have certain medical conditions. It states that this age group as seen an increase in accidents where others have been falling.
Surely none of us want to be on the road if there are unsafe drivers around regardless of age. I can’t imagine how hard it would be handing over the keys for the last time losing your independence but the public has a right to safe travel.
Of course fully appreciate there are lots of fit and well drivers of all ages that drive recklessly.

Nov 4, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2011
Or it could be read as "Drivers over 70 who currently are not allowed to drive because of bad health will be allowed to drive during daylight hours."
That's how I read it. Once you are passed the deliberately misleading headline.

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
Having narrowly avoided an elderly driver head on going the wrong way down a dual carriage, it makes perfect sense.
Don't tar us all with the same brush, !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lots of younger idiots out there who think that passing the test means they can drive. To drive properly & safely needs experience

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
If you’re not fit to drive nobody should be allowed behind the wheel. The article explains it’s only related to those that have certain medical conditions. It states that this age group as seen an increase in accidents where others have been falling.
Surely none of us want to be on the road if there are unsafe drivers around regardless of age. I can’t imagine how hard it would be handing over the keys for the last time losing your independence but the public has a right to safe travel.
Of course fully appreciate there are lots of fit and well drivers of all ages that drive recklessly.
I would agree but what makes you think that 70 is the magic age at which peoples competence to drive suddenly happens? I think if you seriously want to take all drivers who are unsafe off the road then there should be re-testing of every driver at the most every 5 years. They should also have to have a medical certificate as well.

Deleted User
In certain circumstances I'm not against this but for the majority of the country who live outside La La London where people get transport money thrown at them it won't work. In my area there are villages with many people of this age and they haven't seen a bus since decimalisation so they would be stranded. Before this can happen HS2 should be cancelled and every village should have a twice daily bus service.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
So on average 5 extra deaths per year for a decade means 7,500,000 voters suffer (potentially)

That ll be a vote winner for the blue rinse brigade.

(other colours of rinse are available)

Judging by the readers' comments on the corresponding story in the Mail online this appeals to boy racers younger drivers. Some even think the threshold needs to be set at age 60. As for motorhomes, well, we're perpetually holding them up and should be banned from the roads.

Obviously, they are the ones who can't imagine ever reaching age 70 themselves. Maybe they won't.

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Recently my brother came face to face with a car travelling the wrong way down a one way street. He flashed his lights and the car eventually stopped. He wound down his window and informed the driver he was in a one way street, to which they replied we know we're police.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Recently my brother came face to face with a car travelling the wrong way down a one way street. He flashed his lights and the car eventually stopped. He wound down his window and informed the driver he was in a one way street, to which they replied we know we're police.
Id have said I know im only going one way Boom Boom

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Well two weeks ago we were out walking our dog when all of a sudden a Ford Fusion shot out of a gateway just inches from us with a women half in half out of the car door one leg trailing the ground went across the road fortunately she hit a wall that stopped the car.
I went to the car to help and turned the engine off, she had left it in gear auto and forgot then caught the accelerator with her left foot dragging her up the road into the wall.
She was only in her late seventies, fortunately no serious injuries only a badly damaged car.
We now walk our dog a different route 🙂

Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
Well I am over 70 and totally disagree with this idea, I have seen more near misses caused by lunatics under 30 than I have ever seen for over 40s. I think it is the under 30s that need to be banned after 6pm as they are the ones out there more likely to be driving under the influence of drugs etc exceeding speed limits undertaking and weaving in and out traffic

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back