Driveaway awning moving on its own (1 Viewer)

Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
Camping , caravanning, campervaning for 10 years
hi all,
Where my driveaway awning connects to the roll out awning I obviously have a figure of 8 fitting and a kador strip.... now as the wind blows the sides of the awning blow and move and as they move they are managing to move the figure of 8 pieces of plastic thereby gradually disconnecting the awning from my van if I didnt correct the positioning on a seemingly frequent basis at the moment.
So a) do others have this issue too with driveaway awnings? and
b) what do others use to stop this? - my thought is bulldog clips or similar
Thanks all....

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
I use bulldog clips and/or a piece of cord wrapped around the plastic figure of 8 and then back to the awning sides. Easier to do than explain.

Jul 4, 2018
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
A few years.
Figure of 8 sliding in the wind out awning slot? Mine slid across far enough to block the hab door opening so glad it was not a caravan.
Get something to wedge in each end to keep it in the correct position. I used plastic dowling that I had handy.
The awning into the fig of 8 I used two bulldog clips but that did not move as much as the other side.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
NicandJay
Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
I use bulldog clips and/or a piece of cord wrapped around the plastic figure of 8 and then back to the awning sides. Easier to do than explain.
Thanks for that... I thought I had put it up badly first time I found one of the bits of figure of 8 completely free of awning

OP
OP
NicandJay
Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
Figure of 8 sliding in the wind out awning slot? Mine slid across far enough to block the hab door opening so glad it was not a caravan.
Get something to wedge in each end to keep it in the correct position. I used plastic dowling that I had handy.
The awning into the fig of 8 I used two bulldog clips but that did not move as much as the other side.
For me that side doesnt appear to move anywhere near as much but will keep an eye on it now.....thanks

Dec 2, 2019
Redcar/Cambrils, Spain
Funster No
MH
Now Tugging
Exp
More with boats than Moho
Need to be careful as the ends of the plastic figure of 8 pieces can easily break if there is too much weight on them because of the kador strip sliding out.

There should be guy ropes at either end of the awning that will limit the movement. I also tie a knot at either end of a spare guy and then stretch it accross the five figure of 8 pieces to keep them tight together

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
I used to have this problem all of the time, plus in rain, water would drip through the gaps that appeared in each join of the figure 8.

I managed to find a supplier who would send 3m lengths of figure 8, I then popped a couple of holes in my kador strip at either end of the awning kador and I use a cable tie at each end of the strip and nothing moves.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Just use one of the plastic spring grips,quick and easy and no damage.

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
You can buy small brass fittings to lock into place to prevent the figure of 8 piece sliding in the wind out awning track.

Am damned if I can remember where I saw them....will try to track them down.

Jul 26, 2019
Fife, UK
Funster No
MH
McLoius Fusion
Exp
Since 2019
Is this what you are looking for? We bought them from a dealer‘s shop
3E1727EE-F4AC-4439-AA74-B6B731749193.jpeg

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
eBay have them
<Broken link removed>

OP
OP
NicandJay
Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
Do they screw into the figure of 8 as I want the figure of 8 itself to stop moving

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Do they screw into the figure of 8 as I want the figure of 8 itself to stop moving
No they are meant to go in the groove on the awning, not the figure of 8 (Fo8).

On our Kador strip I sewed loops at either end and then put some cords through them to secure it otherwise it can slide about as you feed on the Fo8 pieces, I used some bulldog clips as others have mentioned to stop the Fo8 pieces sliding around.

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Had this problem for years and tried everything. Then slung the figure of 8 plastic thing, took the awning and the strip with the two different beadings to a relative who's a sailmaker. He sowed the strip to the awning in a couple of minutes. Two stoppers either end like the one in the picture and its perfect.

TOAD on Tour

Free Member
Nov 7, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
VW Grand California
Exp
Since 2020
We just use a bit of Gorilla Tape at each end to keep fig 8, kador strip etc. all secured to the awning rail. Previously had terrible trouble with the awning coming loose etc, but the gorilla tape works a treat.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Had this problem for years and tried everything. Then slung the figure of 8 plastic thing, took the awning and the strip with the two different beadings to a relative who's a sailmaker. He sowed the strip to the awning in a couple of minutes. Two stoppers either end like the one in the picture and its perfect.
Trouble with that is how easily can you detach and reattach it if you want to go out for the day.

OP
OP
NicandJay
Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
Thanks one and all for providing a whole plethora of solutions to this problem that I initially thought was because of my poor build...

I nearly used the "e" word there (think about it) but managed to engage brain first and prevent another classic Funster double entendre frenzy.... ::bigsmile:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Thanks one and all for providing a whole plethora of solutions to this problem that I initially thought was because of my poor build...

I nearly used the "e" word there (think about it) but managed to engage brain first and prevent another classic Funster double entendre frenzy.... ::bigsmile:
Thinking ... :unsure: ... er nope, not a clue! :giggle:

scally

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 15, 2010
essex and lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Eldiss Autoquest 320
Exp
since 1998
I think you can buy little round block with a screw in that slide into the rails, try ebay. I made mine from pultruded glass fibre I happened to have of the right size.

Oops just seen post12. Exactly what I meant

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Trouble with that is how easily can you detach and reattach it if you want to go out for the day.
It takes about a minute to unscrew the stoppers either end. Then the awning just slides out as it would if it had the plastic of eight strip.

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
A couple of years ago on a site in Dorset, I saw a fully extended wind out awning and then the chap fixed his driveway awning to that.

surely can’t be good on the fixings of the wind out awning and heaven knows what would of happened if the wind had really kicked in.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
It takes about a minute to unscrew the stoppers either end. Then the awning just slides out as it would if it had the plastic of eight strip.
Yes that's fine if you are only wanting to attach it and not move your MH at all before detaching it and putting it away, ie not wanting to go out and leave the awning in situ to then re-attach to your MH when you return. If you do want to go out and then return lining the MH up to be able to somehow slot the awning piping into the awning rail whilst at the same time manoeuvring the MH carefully into the correct position would be very tricky, if not nigh on impossible, it can be difficult enough with the Fo8 strips (been there, done that).

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
It sounds like some people here aren't using the kador driveaway kits. If you don't use one and slide the awning straight into the channel, you can just use those stoppers to prevent it sliding...

But then you can't drive away from the awning. The driveaway kador kits make it much easier for bits to slip past one another. Which is better when you want to go out for the day. But when it's wet and windy and the ends keep working their ways out of the plastic channels, it's annoying.

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
It sounds like some people here aren't using the kador driveaway kits. If you don't use one and slide the awning straight into the channel, you can just use those stoppers to prevent it sliding...

But then you can't drive away from the awning. The driveaway kador kits make it much easier for bits to slip past one another. Which is better when you want to go out for the day. But when it's wet and windy and the ends keep working their ways out of the plastic channels, it's annoying.
Here's my top tip for that issue, it's how I use my kador, and the brother in laws too.

Use the full length kador strip, I keep mine permanently attached in my wind out awning as there's an end stop at the rear to prevent it pulling through, we then use full length one piece , 3M or what ever length you need of the plastic figure 8 connector and put the awning up with that like normal.
We then make two holes in the kador strip, we use a big tent peg warmed up on the gas ring to melt the holes, one either end of your awning, then cable ties are used to fasten the awning to the kador strip, never had an awning move since doing it, and using 1 piece figure 8 means there's never a gap for rain to drip thought at all.
I can take pictures next weekend when I'll have the awning out next 👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back