Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi
We have a Kampa Rally Air and like most things about it, but only any good if staying on site for a few days.
One option would appear to be a drive-away awning.
So any recommendations, preferably air, rather than poles.
I appreciate that I would need to reposition the van very accurately when returning to site.
Do those figure of eight joiners actually work, in that they can be slid into place?
I see some of them have straps over the van roof, not sure I would be happy with that arrangement
What are your thoughts please?
Geoff

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Yes the figure of 8 connections do work . Drive away awnings have their uses . Last year I described our inflatable awning as a “ game changer “ . The extra space is lovely and for some occasions we do still use it .
It’s the sinking feeling you get when you hear the rain coming down that’s not so good . They are horrible to take down in the rain ( you get soaked packing it away ) and then you have to get the dam thing back out to dry it when you get home .

Upvote 0
OP
OP
donkey
Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
Thanks for your reply, what make/model do you have. Also how easy do you find it returning to 'exactly' the same spot?

Geoff

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2012
Penrith
Funster No
MH
DIMS van conversion
Exp
since 2010
Hi
We have a Kampa Rally Air and like most things about it, but only any good if staying on site for a few days.
One option would appear to be a drive-away awning.
So any recommendations, preferably air, rather than poles.
I appreciate that I would need to reposition the van very accurately when returning to site.
Do those figure of eight joiners actually work, in that they can be slid into place?
I see some of them have straps over the van roof, not sure I would be happy with that arrangement
What are your thoughts please?
Geoff
We're on our second Vango Galli Low.
It has straps and a Leader rail.

Accurate positioning is crucial.

The ability to detach is also useful in a big blow - being an air-beam the "tent" deforms and pops up again.

And loads of space in the passage between van and tent for bikes etc.

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Also how easy do you find it returning to 'exactly' the same spot?

Geoff
A full tank of Diesel, and very patient partner would help, to start with.
Maybe a tin of spray marker paint to highlight where your wheels were parked, before you made the wrong decision to leave site in the first place.:LOL:
Happy holidays to all.
LES

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
We used to have a drive away, and when parked up and awning attached I would put a tent peg in ground about two inch out from the center of both front and rear wheels (on opposite side to awning)and tie a piece of coloured guy line cord between the two pegs.
Relatively easy to reposition van back onto the string.👍👍

Upvote 0
OP
OP
donkey
Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
Thanks Spike, I guess the low version is for VW and the like, we would need a mid or high as our awning rail is 245cms high.
I will check out the Vango range.

Geoff

Upvote 0
OP
OP
donkey
Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
Another thought, M&CC say no tents on most sites. When detached, does awning become a tent?

Geoffff

Upvote 0
Sep 28, 2019
Newbury, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 767 GA
Exp
Since 2018
We have an outdoor revolution movellite T4 mid awning. Drive away is a doddle. We leave a stand-alone step o pitch in position where we need the door on return. You soon get used to judging the 1.1 m gap between MH side and awning. Figure of eight joiner works fine but can ’drift’ a bit in high wind so usually disconnect. Never ever had it questioned about it being a tent when disconnected so that’s one of those mischievous red herrings that some funsters like to lob in from time to time. The extra space is great when on site for several days but if you’re moving around a lot then it’s bulky to cart around

Upvote 0

KD

Feb 8, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape
Another thought, M&CC say no tents on most sites. When detached, does awning become a tent?

Geoffff
Good question, and additionally us a screen house a tent, gazebo (also a no no on many sites) or an awning?

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2012
Penrith
Funster No
MH
DIMS van conversion
Exp
since 2010

Geoffff
Download a copy of the Vango catalogue to show them - or tell them to Google "Vango Drive-Away Awnings."

It's deffo an awning - but I referred to the "tent" bit to discriminate between that part and the "corridor" where we store bikes etc.

That bit's rather like an air-lock.

Of course, the corrridor disappears (in the same way that your lap does as soon as you stand up) when you drive away.

Leaving behind a self-standing awning.

I think there are some. poled, awnings which don't have a corridor - you step out of the van straight into it. So they must have a section which zips into place when you drive off?

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Thanks Spike, I guess the low version is for VW and the like, we would need a mid or high as our awning rail is 245cms high.
I will check out the Vango range.

Geoff

The one I have for sale and am taking to the Bring & Buy at Holbeach is a Vango Airaway Kela Standard driveaway awning.
I travel, mostly on my own which is the reason I bought it, it can be erected without help.

It has an an adjustable connection 180-240cms but the few times I've used it, I've just connected it to my wind-out awning. You then do not have to be too accurate with your parking.

I'll be asking less than half price of a new one at £200 .

If anyone's interested, PM me!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
donkey
Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
Thanks for the feedback guys. I haavegone for the Vango Airhub Hexaway tall. It appears to fulfil all of our criteria.

L'Hobo please don't make too much noise at Holbeach, I only live a few miles away :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

Geoff

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back