Drive Away Awning (1 Viewer)

Feb 12, 2024
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
I might be sounding thick here but i'm new to drive away awnings and a little confused with the connection.
I've seen one video where they attached a plastic figure 8 to the awning channel, then attach the material drive away to that figure 8 runner and then attach another figure 8 the material drive away and THEN attach the awning to the latest figure of 8... phew!
...and then obviously seen the video where they attach the material drive away directly to the awning rail and then attached the figure 8 runner and then attach the awning itself.

So is there an advantage of either...and when you detach the awning to pop out for the day, do you leave 'whatever' attached the the vans awning rail?

Yeah i know, a newbie :)

faraway

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
Not sure which awning or MH you have, but see if this video helps with the basics. you should only need 2, not 4, figure 8's.

• Nice One!
Reactions: f6c
OP
OP
Outdoorrambo
Feb 12, 2024
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Not sure which awning or MH you have, but see if this video helps with the basics. you should only need 2, not 4, figure 8's.

Aha, so attach figure 8 to awning, other side of figure 8 to driveaway awning strip and then drive away awning strip to van awning runner, thank you 😊

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Using the figure of 8 system means it is easier to attach and detach for going out for the day.

Whilst you can get drive away awnings that have a bead which can go directly into the slot in the front of a Fiamma/Thule etc awning these really are only suitable if you don't want to take the MH out ... imagine trying to line your awning beading up to the awning slot whilst slowly reversing to allow it to be fed back in without destroying your awning in the process ... or driving over the person feeding the beading in! Mind you it would give some entertainment to other campers!!! 😄

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Using the figure of 8 system means it is easier to attach and detach for going out for the day.

Whilst you can get drive away awnings that have a bead which can go directly into the slot in the front of a Fiamma/Thule etc awning these really are only suitable if you don't want to take the MH out ... imagine trying to line your awning beading up to the awning slot whilst slowly reversing to allow it to be fed back in without destroying your awning in the process ... or driving over the person feeding the beading in! Mind you it would give some entertainment to other campers!!! 😄
Sorry all you need is a few markers and practice (and an assistant). I used to do this upto 3 times a day with the Bongo a lot lower but Swmbo still needed a foot stool, also easier to drive on and drive off. Currently with a 3m high van I'm on a 3 step ladder. if pulling beading I use the Fiamma winding tool hooked into loops. I also add separate C rail for the job. Higher on the Bongo and lower than the Fiamma on the Rapido. Tend not to do it as often now as we use a Toad instead.

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Sorry all you need is a few markers and practice (and an assistant). I used to do this upto 3 times a day with the Bongo a lot lower but Swmbo still needed a foot stool, also easier to drive on and drive off. Currently with a 3m high van I'm on a 3 step ladder. if pulling beading I use the Fiamma winding tool hooked into loops. I also add separate C rail for the job. Higher on the Bongo and lower than the Fiamma on the Rapido. Tend not to do it as often now as we use a Toad instead.
Sounds like a lot of faffing around to me.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975

The easiest way is before initial drive away from attached awning, peg bright cord ( found at all good chandlers ) on the ground inline and beside tyres so, upon return, one can just align with cord and connect, simples! 😄

OP
OP
Outdoorrambo
Feb 12, 2024
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
...and without sounding thick again, what's the flap for on the driveaway awning bead that's inserted into the awning rail on the van?
The driveaway awning kit didn't come with any instructions.
20240229_145747.jpg

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022

I had an ARB outdoor ‘room’ that was suspended under the awning and attached front and back by the slide in beading. The clever bit was that there were also heavy duty zips on the attachments so it could be demounted/remounted easily without having to align the beads. I wonder if a similar system would work better for a drive away?

Sue and Rick

Free Member
Apr 20, 2022
Brighouse, UK
Funster No
MH
Autoquest 155 2016
Exp
Since 2020
...and without sounding thick again, what's the flap for on the driveaway awning bead that's inserted into the awning rail on the van?
The driveaway awning kit didn't come with any instructions.
View attachment 869874
So you can grip it...I guess

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
It's very simple. The figure of 8 piece is in 4 sections. One half of the figure of 8 goes on your awning rail, the other half on the awning bead. When you want to drive off just slide the 4 pieces off- 2 one way and 2 the other way . Off you go. Takes 5 mins if that.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back