sundancekid

Free Member
Mar 15, 2010
shropshire
Funster No
Exp
Just
Does anyone have a drive away awning?

If you do, how do you connect it to your motorhome? I have an awning rail fitted on mine but the awnings manufacturers say get a 'drive away kit' which, looking at it on their website, just looks like an extension of the same bits and therefore a bit pointless ! Am I missing the point of these items, or will I just be missing the £22 that they charge for them.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Not much help as we use the straps over the roof we find it quicker for driving away.

Gerry

Upvote 0

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Hi,

As the above post, we have a "strap over the roof" jobbie, but am going to try securing to the van using two suction glass lifters (from Screwfix) to peg down on the same side as the awning.
Will post success or otherwise.

Cheers
John

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Outdoorgirl

Free Member
Apr 25, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Drive away awnings

Although a drive away awning is attached by a ridge that fits into a bar on the side of the van, it has a zipped up door which when zipped up and detached from the van acts as a self contained tented area. This means that if you want to go out in the van, the awning is secure and stands on its own without the support of the van.
Oh dear I feel the need to go and lie down in a darkened room, hope I havent confused you too much!

Outdoor Girl:ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Manouche

Free Member
Feb 5, 2009
Southsea
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
20 years
Hard to describe the process !

We have a Movelite XL

You slide the narrow material piece into your awning channel, then when you have erected the awning and lined it all up, you slide the plastic profile bars (2 in my case) over the edges of this piece and the awning edge.

The kit is designed so that you can easily withdraw the (2) plastic profile rails and therefore not have to slide the awning material out of the awning channel.

There you go, clear as mud:ROFLMAO:

Be careful which kit you buy as they come in 2 different channel sizes.

Put two tent pegs by the tyres and you can always line the van up when you return.

Maybe someone else can explain this a bit better:Sad:

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
When you say you have an "awning rail" fitted is it a channel, into which kador beading can be slotted, or a J rail?

Fitting is a bit different depending on which you have.

Graham

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back