Drain smell (1 Viewer)

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
It's that time of year again. After our 3 week trip we put bio washing liquid into the waste tank with a few litres of water. Left it all week. Had to take it for it's MOT on Friday night (it passed, no problem) the drain smells like a well drain. It has been very hot this week so I'm blaming that. I've put a cleaner that's for caravan tanks and driven it about to mix it up, now leaving it overnight. Has anyone used this? does it work?

Huwmari

Free Member
Jul 26, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 201
Exp
since Apr 2013
Yes, we've used the tank cleaner in the past and it did work. Since then we put bio washing liquid and some water down the sink after every empty and make sure (especially in hot weather) that we empty the tank every three or four days, whether it is full or not. We've been doing this for the past couple of years and have so far managed to avoid any nasty niffs. Hope this works for you.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
I'll probably get told off, but I put bleach down each plug hole regularly, leave it there for 10 mins then pour some water down. Gets rid of nasty niffs.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Like many others I periodically add a couple of litres of cheap 'Cola' to the grey tank, after emptying the tank, then leave it in until having had a good run in the MH.

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Just pour cheap cola down your waste then drive around to mix it up then empty and you'll be amazed at the gunk that comes out. :)

OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Just pour cheap cola down your waste then drive around to mix it up then empty and you'll be amazed at the gunk that comes out. :)
Yes I've done that but this time it didn't work

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Another vote for the cheap coke method.
We pour it into the tank just before leaving home,
Let it slosh around during the journey and then
drain down when we reach our destination,
Brisey.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
A lot of these problems occur because the manufacturers don't bother with U Bends they just run a pipe straight to the tank so any bad smells always come up the pipes. They also use concertina flexible pipe which just collects waste material. Our Laika has proper U Bends on the sinks and shower tray. Previous Swift and Pilote did not and you could smell the waste tank if it was hot or when it had been standing for a few weeks.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We use bleach too but are carefull to fully empty the waste tank every few days. Our tank has the usual side drain, but these usually leave a few litres of water still in the tank. We also have a drain tap at the bottom which empties the tank fully.
My Sister has just sold her yacht and has given me lots of stuff off it including a bottle of bilge cleaner. I'm going to try driving around with that in the tank for a while to give it a good clean out, but we rarely get smells from the tank.
Even though we have a Swift we have proper U bends and smooth PVC pipework so no smells from them

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back