Door catch not returning (1 Viewer)

May 23, 2012
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666f
Exp
Hi All 2019 Adria I think its a Hartel door- the bottom catch feels like a spring is gone in it as it is not returning all the time and jams the door. Any advice on a fix appreciated. Thanks

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
When our spring went, the quick fix was to tie elastic around the catch through to any part of the mechanism. This returns the catch until you can get a spring.

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
Boxed spring collection, choose one that gives permanent tension. Both the springs went on my door but this fix has lasted about 5 years and I have spares.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Theses are the springs that fit our AT Hartel hab door - https://springsandthings.me.uk/shop/tension_springs/9mm-tension/
24mm long.

This is what ours looks like once the interior panel has been removed.
1694622094268.png

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Gellyneck
HOw is the cover attached?
VElcro
Double sided tape
Clips
Screws
Another method ?
Sorry for delay in response as we were travelling in torrential rain yesterday!:crying:

In the above photo the black strips are Velcro, the orangey brown strips are ds tape and (from memory) there's one / two self-tapping screws under the bottom of the panel (below where all the muck is!:whistle2:).
  • proceed slowly / carefully and, whilst it's "scary" when the Velcro gives way, don't worry it will come off!
  • check under the door to see if there are screws (if there is remove these - they may be torx headed)
  • remove the door pull handle (ours has two screws each top and bottom)
  • prise off the door catch surround using a plastic panel removal tool (you can see a couple of these lying on the door step)
  • I started at the top of the door using the panel removal tool inserted under the edge of the panel
  • once you have the top open hold it open with your fingers and work your way down the window side.
  • once you have it open down the side you need to pivot the panel away from the door and open the Velcro strip just below the top door catch
  • once you've done this the panel pulls off to the left over the top and bottom catches which are through cut-out slots on the side of the panel
  • refitting is just a reverse of the above
  • fortunately, not had to replace any of the Velcro but did add some more ds tape
If you zoom into the photo you'll see the broken spring on the top catch
1695280602164.png

and the full spring in place on the bottom catch
1695280738909.png

Your door may be a bit different given different marque but, hopefully, gives you an idea of the process.

Hope this helps but give me a shout if you need further.

Best of luck getting it fixed (it's an easy job and once you've done it once it's a dawdle the next time! Knew I should have replaced both of them at the same time!:doh:).

OP
OP
SteveB123
May 23, 2012
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666f
Exp
This is my door catch it looks like a different kind of spring is needed. Any clues. Thanks

IMG_0510.jpeg IMG_0509.jpeg

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
This is my door catch it looks like a different kind of spring is needed. Any clues. Thanks

View attachment 812309 View attachment 812310
Your lock looks more like the type fitted to one of our car's doors. Never had to replace any components so can't be of much use but ours does stick sometimes particularly in cold weather. A spray of silicon oil tends to ease it off.

Aug 19, 2007
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Tribute 615T sport
Exp
17 years + since 2006

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Gellyneck
HOw is the cover attached?
VElcro
Double sided tape
Clips
Screws
Another method ?
Panel just clips in on a Hymer you have to remove a screw behind the handle.
It's a bit of a pig to get off car trim removal tools and a couple of paint scrapes help. Once you have got it if off fixing the lock is easy. The hard bit is getting the panel back on.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back