Door bell camera with mobile phone app (1 Viewer)

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Recommendations wanted for
WiFi Doorbell camera with remote mobile phone answering
One you have and are happy with
Or just one you have seen, from top o the shop to Chinese imports
What works ?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
The "Ring" brand gets good reviews. I was thinking about one as well as I am often in my studio and don't want to come down two flights of stairs if it is people trying to sell stuff :)

Also handy to ask people to wait if i do want to speak with them!

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Nest for definate.. (y)
Had to install one for my son and can say I am quite impressed with the quality and also the response triggering.

If you don't want to pay that much then look at the Yi cameras from Xiaomi. I have these just set in the inside windows so could be used in say a porch etc. Stores to an SD card but also saves clips to the cloud and gives phone notifications. They do various versions.

Last edited:

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
These gadgets are a great idea but, & its a big but, all of my homes have had doorbells & I'd hazard a guess that only about 5% of callers ring the bloody bell! :confused:
I've tried notices saying "Please Ring the Bell" & all to no avail. :mad:
So how will this gadget work???:(

Happy1

Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
Ring doorbell and a wired cam to catch the ones who don’t ring the bell, loads of money but work as well as anything relying on WiFi !!

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Another vote for Nest.

Been playing with home-automation the last month and so far my only conclusion is bye cheap - send it back.

Setting my Dad's house (he isn't too mobile as ill) with Amazon Echo, Phillips Hue and Nest. Using Echo, Arduino and Nest in van. It all works, anything else is just irritating.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Because the nest is connected to your existing 'Friedland' type door bell which is usually driven off a mains transformer.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
One of my colleagues at work has a Ring. I know because she answered the door to her home when she was in a meeting with me.
She is very happy with it.

I am considering the Hive version as it is compatible with the Hive system I
Already have. But this is more for the remote viewing of the cameras rather than a simple doorbell. I think both Ring and Hive have cameras and security lights as well as the doorbell/camera

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
Need a good wi-fi / broadband connection. We have had some hilarious moments with our Ring doorbell especially at our previous house.
But my worst was before we got ours. While touring the Mosel in Germany I went to the wrong house to pay for the stellplatz and it had a Ring doorbell, which I had never seen before. Suffice to say I must have looked a right plonker as I put my ear right up to the camera as I was concerned I couldn't hear or understand what she was saying.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Ring for me.....linked to my mobile phone, detects movement before bell is pressed, records, intercom....good offers on Amazon for Ring 1.....
I could be in the USA and interact with a caller who is at my door in Spain.....without giving away my location......easy to say you are being recorded, so bog off, or please leave the packet next door....

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We've got a Ring one as well.

Great bit of kit.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Another vote for Ring.
We have answered the door bell while driving down the motorway, while travelling abroad, in the pub etc.
You can set it so it sends an alert when someone approaches the door, so you can communicate with the plonkers who dont use the bell.
Its very easy to set up and reliable and you can install it so it runs off a rechargeable battery if you dont already have a convenient bell power feed. We do this and the battery only needs recharging 3 times a year.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
I forgot to mention we have a Ring extension speaker in the living room in case we have put our phone on silent or phone battery is flat. Again, very, very easy to install, the technology just works.

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
I forgot to mention we have a Ring extension speaker in the living room in case we have put our phone on silent or phone battery is flat. Again, very, very easy to install, the technology just works.

Your lucky then I have a ring bell and unless all the stars in the university are aligned its patchy at best your relying on good wifi and good mobile connection

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Hmmm what am I doing wrong. I never get any visitors to my door let alone ring a bell.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Suffolk police seem to be very positive about the Ring system as they are always promoting it.
It seems that they have fitted some to houses that have had repeated burglaries with very good results.
A few villains have been nabbed I believe.

Richard.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
These gadgets are a great idea but, & its a big but, all of my homes have had doorbells & I'd hazard a guess that only about 5% of callers ring the bloody bell! :confused:
I've tried notices saying "Please Ring the Bell" & all to no avail. :mad:
So how will this gadget work???:(
My Nest face recognition cam at gutter level has already picked you up as an unknown face on my mobile...:)

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Hmmm... I hadn't really considered this until now. Looking at the blurb I think it requires a monthly subscription. Is this correct?

Wyn

OP
OP
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
My Nest face recognition cam at gutter level has already picked you up as an unknown face on my mobile...:)
I only called into that level to say HI :ello:

OP
OP
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Thank you all for your input and recomendations
A decision and purchase has been made
despite a newer version being available the Ring 1 won out over the rest being not the cheapest but best value with a workable warranty
Shen Zeng being to far to return faulty goods
it seems price ringing is in full swing as £89.00 was the best i could find and seemed the norm from reputable suppliers £87 .00 on flea bay

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Your lucky then I have a ring bell and unless all the stars in the university are aligned its patchy at best your relying on good wifi and good mobile connection
We do have a good internet connection at home and I have also a wifi extender to make sure the network coverage is good throughout the house.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Hmmm... I hadn't really considered this until now. Looking at the blurb I think it requires a monthly subscription. Is this correct?

Wyn
The subscription is only required if you want to save video to the cloud. I do this so that if I am away from home without internet I can scan back though and see who has been to the door.
I have proximity alerts set so recordings are made whether visitors ring the bell or not.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
I have been looking at the Ring system. Is the camera / doorbell waterproof ? The second thing which bothers me by looking only at the photos of the thing is that it looks real easy to nick, ie just unclip it from it's holder on the wall and walk away, am I right ?

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I have been looking at the Ring system. Is the camera / doorbell waterproof ? The second thing which bothers me by looking only at the photos of the thing is that it looks real easy to nick, ie just unclip it from it's holder on the wall and walk away, am I right ?
Yes, this was bothering me too.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
If it gets nicked then Ring will replace it FOC.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back