Don't buy a mercedes base?. For F**K sake. (1 Viewer)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I have my New Hymer ML-I 580 and it is coming towards its first birthday.
I rang the local MB commercial dealer to ask about booking it in for its first service and what it will cost and got a shock.
the first service is from the date of MANUFACTURE by MB which was the 12th of December 2014 and it was due its first service BY the 12/12 last year which is two years old from the date of making. I am out out of services and out of Warranty because of the delay in having the service done. It was registered on 27th May 2016. so the warranty should run from then except it must have been serviced after the December last year. Also the cost would be £120 for oil and filter which is what the service is but then I am also due a gearbox oil and filter change at £280 all plus VAT so a cost of £400 plus VAT withing 7 months of being on the road????????? WTF are they on? at a mileage of 8000 miles. Sprinters go 80000 for those two services, but there are no exceptions for low mieage. and the business of the date of manufacture business is ludicrous. So now I have a van under a year old and out of warranty because the service schedule has not been carried out..
If that is the case I will do it all myself unless there is special procedures for the auto gearbox oil change involving pumps.
It seems the chassis sits at Hymers for a long time while they go through the build process and then go to the dealers for a time until sold all for a total mileage of 6 miles but using time up.
Any other suggestion ? I feel totally conned by the Makers.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Surely the warranty should run from the date of registration.
I can't see how they can enforce the date of build rubbish as vehicles often sit in storage, shipping and dealers for many months.
I would take it up with Mercedes themselves, then if no result with Hymer or the dealer and lastly trading standards.
Sounds like a load of cobblers to me.

Richard.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
@GWAYGWAY I've always aspired to have a MB based van and that has come as a bit of an eye opener.

Both my previous Ducato based units had stood around for a while prior to conversion, but knowing the chassis isn't on the road, the servicing side for base vehicle and conversion were both on the anniversary date of the vehicles being registered.

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
All my Fiat Motorhome warrantys have started from first registration, i once tried to register with Fiat only to be told "my your quick as it doesn't show on our records yet)
If it's a case of the dealer registered it and failed to inform you then solicitor would be my route
What registration date on v5?

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Having checked any paperwork you might have, I would speak directly with the motorhome dealer who sold it to you. Also speak directly with MB not some oily rage at a MB dealership. If they confirm this then I would ask for where in their paperwork this is detailed and ask them to justify this bearing in mind, as previously said, it could have been in storage etc for some time. Under those circumstances, it could need servicing before it had even been driven on the road. :rofl:

Methinks, however, that this is a load of cr*p and someone is having you on. :)

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Even though I will never buy another Mercedes I did find they was very fair on warrantee issues.

Last year I was quoted £1100 for the 28K service by my local Fiat dealer, that was never going to happen!!!!

D

DL42846

Deleted User
I rang the local MB commercial dealer to ask about booking it in for its first service and what it will cost and got a shock.
the first service is from the date of MANUFACTURE by MB which was the 12th of December 2014 and it was due its first service BY the 12/12 last year which is two years old from the date of making. I am out out of services and out of Warranty because of the delay in having the service done. It was registered on 27th May 2016. so the warranty should run from then except it must have been serviced after the December last year. Also the cost would be £120 for oil and filter which is what the service is but then I am also due a gearbox oil and filter change at £280 all plus VAT so a cost of £400 plus VAT withing 7 months of being on the road????????? WTF are they on? at a mileage of 8000 miles. Sprinters go 80000 for those two services, but there are no exceptions for low mieage. and the business of the date of manufacture business is ludicrous. So now I have a van under a year old and out of warranty because the service schedule has not been carried out..
If that is the case I will do it all myself unless there is special procedures for the auto gearbox oil change involving pumps.
It seems the chassis sits at Hymers for a long time while they go through the build process and then go to the dealers for a time until sold all for a total mileage of 6 miles but using time up.

I think I would contacting Mercedes Direct: https://www.daimler.com/contact/
Then ask them how the hell can you get your MH serviced when it's not even on the road.

I have ran several Sprinters from new, but we had MB cover. We experienced problems with rear wheel bearings which were replaced under warranty. On the two vehicles the bearings went within five/six months. That would have been around 50/60 thousand Kilometers. Other than routine servicing which is expensive the vans have covered over 650,000 and 750,000 KLM with no major problems. And that's being used as a white delivery van and thrashed.

£120 for an oil and filter change, if that is including the oils etc I don't think is too bad bearing in mind the cost of fully synthetic oils and in MB they are normally 5/40 oils.
Something doesn't sound right there somewhere. I can't see MB enforcing the above.
Good luck ( don't mention the war or Brexit, that normally p-sses them off)

D

DL42846

Deleted User
Even though I will never buy another Mercedes I did find they was very fair on warrantee issues.

Last year I was quoted £1100 for the 28K service by my local Fiat dealer, that was never going to happen!!!!

If its like my Fiat, that probably included a new gearbox. Approx 24K and the Sync has gone between 1st and 2nd.

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I went on to another MB commersial dealer and he took time to find out the MB policy on vans. The date of manufacture is ont the end all of it. The warranty runs from the date of registration. The servicing has a time from the actual make of the chassis of 18 months until the servicing starts which mine is inside JUST. the actual details are on the vehicle memory system and come up with the mileage it is due on and it time limited then it is the days that come up. If the vehicle was reset at the PDI by MB then the mileages applies and I should go by that The speedo clock will inform me when it is due. The gearbox filter and oil change is the second service and is again on the speedo. Sprinters go for an awful long time and it seems the Ambulances last a very long time and high mileage. MB do specify their own oils as the engind is 5-40 and the gearbox is very much thinner than TQF normally is. The filter requires the gearbox sump cover off to get actual unit inside with a flush done on high mileage or dirty oils.
Not as bad as the first dealer told me so it will not be going to them for it. Panicking again, although the cost are high it seems the same on a car is half as high again.. Elite selling I think comes to mind like BMW Audi and MB all do.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I am out out of services and out of Warranty because of the delay in having the service done. I feel totally conned by the Makers.

You have no legal claim on the makers but it seems to me that you have a beauty against the dealer. Your case is that it was supplied, brand new, out of warranty.

Ask them to fully cover your loss by issuing their own warranty or you will hold them responsible for each and every repair needed up to the expected and legally reasonable warranty which I believe from solid gold FUN threads is enforceable to 6 years on such an expensive purchase.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
That sounds a lot better, are you now saying it's not even due for a service?

The build date sounds a bit odd for a Hymer, we have had 3 new Hymers chassis build date have always been only a few weeks before Hymers build date, all the info should be on the certificates of conformity.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
The warranty runs from the date of registration. The servicing has a time from the actual make of the chassis of 18 months until the servicing starts which mine is inside JUST.
Good news, really pleased for you GG

D

DL42846

Deleted User
I went on to another MB commersial dealer and he took time to find out the MB policy on vans. The date of manufacture is ont the end all of it. The warranty runs from the date of registration. The servicing has a time from the actual make of the chassis of 18 months until the servicing starts which mine is inside JUST. the actual details are on the vehicle memory system and come up with the mileage it is due on and it time limited then it is the days that come up. If the vehicle was reset at the PDI by MB then the mileages applies and I should go by that The speedo clock will inform me when it is due. The gearbox filter and oil change is the second service and is again on the speedo. Sprinters go for an awful long time and it seems the Ambulances last a very long time and high mileage. MB do specify their own oils as the engind is 5-40 and the gearbox is very much thinner than TQF normally is. The filter requires the gearbox sump cover off to get actual unit inside with a flush done on high mileage or dirty oils.
Not as bad as the first dealer told me so it will not be going to them for it. Panicking again, although the cost are high it seems the same on a car is half as high again.. Elite selling I think comes to mind like BMW Audi and MB all do.
Excellent, very pleased you got a better result. I couldn't believe MB after care was as you were first told. I had always found MB to be very good although on the expensive side.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
When I ordered my Frankia two years ago I spoke with Frankia and they were waiting on a chassis delivery befor they could start it, not Hymer I know but still a fairly big user of Mercedes chassis.

When I took it to a MB commercial dealer he set me up with a 5 year service plan and plugged the computer into the velicle to synchronise the start date. I'm still very pleased with the way they have operated.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Different timescale for our build, but when we got ours 'used' and three years old, rooting through all the paperwork

Found

registered end of 2009 (59 plate)

Mercedes chassis built 2005

To Hymer 2006

Built 2007 to 2008 spec

Warranty was never an issue for us being more than three years after registration anyway

Pleased for OP that is has been resolved by a more proficient Mercedes dealer, we have run Mercedes cars and MH's now for over 20 years, odd dabble with Audi then back to Merc, always found them very good on support, reasonable on warranty, fair on price :)(y)

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years

If at any time you have to change the oil on the auto box (if it's a NAG1 full auto box) yourself you will need a dipstick unless they provide them now. Have just done mine on a 2005 built 2007 registered 416 CDI so feel free to contact me. It is quite a particular exercise but not difficult, the research for the correct methods took far longer than the actual oil change.

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
To have new chassis cabs hanging around for that length of time is frankly totally lout of order. Perhaps Mr H has an arrangement with MB to take certain quantities of. Chassis cabs regardless of need or orders. The main point being that you new MH is of course built on an old spec chassis.
Someone once said to "The only fault with MB and BMW is that they are over priced overweight oversize and over here!!

D

DL42846

Deleted User
To have new chassis cabs hanging around for that length of time is frankly totally lout of order. Perhaps Mr H has an arrangement with MB to take certain quantities of. Chassis cabs regardless of need or orders. The main point being that you new MH is of course built on an old spec chassis.
Someone once said to "The only fault with MB and BMW is that they are over priced overweight oversize and over here!!

Brexit might change all that

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I used to wonder about the Autosleeper range as they never had the steering wheel controls on them and MB had been making those for years, the new ones however do have them . My Hymer is the 2026 spec body and the chassis was 12/12/2014. As the model had not been announced then I feel they were building a stock to be kept in a field ala, British Leyland and FMC did in the 70's on Loads of new cars sit in a field for up to two years prior to shipping to dealers, starting to rust already. MB warranty policy is all laid down in a dealer guidance pack but I am told is a bit ambiguous as to make date. I will dig out the certificate of compliance now and read it carefully. VIN number gives the dealer the dates and the market, mine is Germany but with RHD.

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
If at any time you have to change the oil on the auto box (if it's a NAG1 full auto box) yourself you will need a dipstick unless they provide them now. Have just done mine on a 2005 built 2007 registered 416 CDI so feel free to contact me. It is quite a particular exercise but not difficult, the research for the correct methods took far longer than the actual oil change.
I know how it is done and you need a service dipstick, and a replacement sealed dipstick cover as that is sealed until service. Have you ever looked under the bonnet of a MB Hymer, there is nough room to get my arm in there but not to see at the same time unless you remove the front crossmember. I think FIAT must be the same as all the radiators and fans etc are built on it. Nightmare for big jobs on it. The filter in the gearbox is a bit of a fart to get having to get the gearbox sump off and change the filter pancake and clean the magnetic trap as well. I do not fancy doing it myself now at my age as I am a bit creaky now not like my yuffftime.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Phew!! A very complex situation, I do hope you get some satisfaction.
I do believe the Auto Box requires a very special oil and the adherence to scheduled changes is vital, which ever route you take if the GB Oil is attended to do ensure it's the correct MB Oil.

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Phew!! A very complex situation, I do hope you get some satisfaction.
I do believe the Auto Box requires a very special oil and the adherence to scheduled changes is vital, which ever route you take if the GB Oil is attended to do ensure it's the correct MB Oil.
Yes it is very thin oil to circulate faster and they developed the gearbox to ONLY use that oil. There is a very good film on YouTube about the development of the 7G box showing the way it is made and put together.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
[
I think I would contacting Mercedes Direct: https://www.daimler.com/contact/
Then ask them how the hell can you get your MH serviced when it's not even on the road.

I have ran several Sprinters from new, but we had MB cover. We experienced problems with rear wheel bearings which were replaced under warranty. On the two vehicles the bearings went within five/six months. That would have been around 50/60 thousand Kilometers. Other than routine servicing which is expensive the vans have covered over 650,000 and 750,000 KLM with no major problems. And that's being used as a white delivery van and thrashed.

£120 for an oil and filter change, if that is including the oils etc I don't think is too bad bearing in mind the cost of fully synthetic oils and in MB they are normally 5/40 oils.
Something doesn't sound right there somewhere. I can't see MB enforcing the above.
Good luck ( don't mention the war or Brexit, that normally p-sses them off)

What year were the 2 sprinters please that did the big mileages?

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Hymer normally operate just just in time building but RHD they only build a couple of batches a year, also didn't you buy a stock one so may have been sitting at the dealers a while a combination of both could be the problem. Look at both the Merc & Hymer C of C's they will give you the build dates for both the chassis and conversion.

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I have pulled out the CC for the chassis and it was built an passed out from MB on the 9/12/2014.
I have also got the Hymer CC out and it was built and finished 15/12/2015.
So it waited a year for building and then it was delivered to Lowdhams shortly after delivery in 2016 then to me on the 27/5/2016.
God! I have had it nearly a year, IT IS NEW, or it was , and now it is old like me.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back