Dont book a holiday (1 Viewer)

Simon Meadwell

Free Member
Jan 28, 2016
Stockport, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bravaria i740 AClass
Government saying unlikely we will have a holiday this year. What are everyones thoughts. We have France booked and Scotland.
Still have ferries from last year and some sites just keep rolling them over.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I'm not sure the Government has said that we won't be able to go on holiday.

They have indicated that with infection rates remaining high, there is uncertainty about when and where holidays might be available.

In my opinion, the media has tried to whip up a non-story about mixed messages.

It seems straightforward to me - just have a bit more patience, to see what is safely available.

We'd like to go to France if possible, but we'll wait to see how things pan out...

Last edited:

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
we have booked the tunnel but that was we had a voucher running out and 11/2 trips still to book before they run out hopefully if we can’t use them they will extend them

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Too late all mine are booked. I can cancel or move most at zero cost.

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
I’m going to Scotland in June.

And tbh, I’m Going regardless, I don’t see how loading the 4x4 and driving non stop to Stirling for pay at pump fuel before going onto a remote cottage with no neighbours and staying there, with acres of lone space, including fishing, walking, wildlife viewing etc and only Asda or Tesco deliveries is any less safe than being at home with no space and going off my head.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
I'd love to get something booked but in this climate I think you'd be mad.

I keep getting e-mails from a firm I used a few years ago. Their business model is basically that you pay them (only cheap amounts, with pricing options) and they book you onto a flight and into accommodation (of varying degrees of luxury depending on what you specify and pay). They then give you a weather forecast. You don't find out where you're going until you get to the airport. Great fun and excitement. I had a lovely, cheap week in southern Spain for some winter sunshine. Glorious warmth, sat outside bars, drinking Spanish wines, paella one night, tapas in various bars the next. Exploring the city by Segway and museums / art galleries in the day. It was brilliant. Such a great company!

Now imagine that in a covid world. They must be on their knees! I'd book just to support them but I'd worry about losing my money if they went bust before we are allowed to go. And the whole magic of it, the excitement of not knowing where you were going - that would be a total nightmare of worry now. I'm amazed the e-mails keep coming. 😢

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
I’m going to Scotland in June.

And tbh, I’m Going regardless, I don’t see how loading the 4x4 and driving non stop to Stirling for pay at pump fuel before going onto a remote cottage with no neighbours and staying there, with acres of lone space, including fishing, walking, wildlife viewing etc and only Asda or Tesco deliveries is any less safe than being at home with no space and going off my head.
We also have our own house up north. We don’t go when it’s illegal, despite the fact we are totally self contained up there and don’t stop en route.
i think it’s unlikely we’ll be allowed up before the summer and less than 50% chance even then,

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
We also have our own house up north. We don’t go when it’s illegal, despite the fact we are totally self contained up there and don’t stop en route.
i think it’s unlikely we’ll be allowed up before the summer and less than 50% chance even then,
I think your right, but I’ve not been since January 2020, my business has been destroyed and if I have to sell up down South then so be it, but I’m going

Jun 17, 2019
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
One a newbie
Been on radio All day about how the government are confusing us all because Boris says one thing and Mat Hancock has booked a holiday. Bloody ridiculous most people aren’t stupid, you know before you book it’s a risk. It’s all depends on COVID cases coming right down no body has a crystal ball. I for one would rather forget holidays this year if it means an end to these lockdowns.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I personally think the ones in charge will need to relax restrictions. Otherwise the populace will rise up in opposition to the lockdown.
How long are people prepared to put up with just existing and not living?
This year? Another year? Five years? Ten years? The rest of their lives?
If there doesn’t soon seem to be something to look forward to people will just give up following any form of restriction.
This is just my thoughts though. I’m not starting a revolution. Too much hard work 😓 😓 😓 .

Last edited:

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
I think it’s important to understand my cottage in the highlands isn’t just a holiday home, for over 20 years my life has been split between the two houses,

Each year I move between them regularly, the Scottish cottage has no neighbours within 2 miles and is extremely remote and exposed.

I wouldn’t suggest a simple holiday abroad or in the UK, but a remote house left for over a year is a worry, and there’s no reason to stay here anymore

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Two wheel job towed.
Exp
Since 2004
I personally think the ones in charge will need to relax restrictions.otherwise the populace will rise up in opposition to the lockdown.
How long are people prepared to put up with just existing and not living?
This year? Another year? Five years? Ten years? The rest of their lives? If there doesn’t soon seem to be something to look forward to people will just give up following any form of restriction.
This is just my thoughts though. I’m not starting a revolution. Too much hard work 😓 😓 😓 .
I agree to some degree but the graphs that compare last summer when lockdown was eased with stats at the moment are a long way apart.
We are reaching a time subject to the risk of even more new variants where the 50+ year olds won’t be the ones holding things back.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I believe that Mr Hancock is booked for Cornwall in August. I hope they let him in. Perhaps he knows something we don't know.
They definitely know somethings we don’t. Hopefully those things are positives and they’re not letting on because it’s very finely balanced at the moment.
I do keep trying to put a positive slant on things. Partly because positivity is important to move forward from here and partly because it hopefully will help to balance out at least some of the negative ones on here.

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Really hoping at least dometic travel and campsite restrictions are eased by April.

We have to leave where we are then :(

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
I think it’s important to understand my cottage in the highlands isn’t just a holiday home, for over 20 years my life has been split between the two houses,

Each year I move between them regularly, the Scottish cottage has no neighbours within 2 miles and is extremely remote and exposed.

I wouldn’t suggest a simple holiday abroad or in the UK, but a remote house left for over a year is a worry, and there’s no reason to stay here anymore
I know how you feel. We spend a significant amount of time up north and it will be our retirement home in the next 5-10 years. My daughter described not being able to go as a physical pain and she’s not far wrong. However, with me teaching full time I can’t work remotely and de amp up there. We’re lucky in that we have a friend who checks the house regularly but we’ve never left it for this long. And to top it all we’ve just got planning permission for building work but can’t get up there to move things out up let work begin.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I feel for you people who want to go outside UK for a MH holiday and have to book on whatever system(delayed vouchers etc.), also for those who feel that wildcamping is becoming difficult in UK and campsites are filling up fast.

We are in Poland and although we would prefer to go to W. Europe or Greece, we are accepting that maybe any MH holiday will have to be within Poland, but there is a lot I have not seen and some which Basia has not seen, or not for a long time. Of course, wildcamping is no problem here.

Our travel agent calls and tells us there are flights to Tanzania, Mexico, Dominican Republic, Fuertoventura (Canaries), but I am not convinced that they have looked at the restrictions for going, what they are in those destinations, and returning. For example in the Canaries, from my own research, I know that there are quite strong local restrictions on many islands but almost none on La Palma and La Gomera, both of which we like, but how to get there? I would not book now for the end of March - too many variables.

Do we want to fly? Much safer to toddle around Poland in our own 'bubble.

As an aside, maybe the 'Full' signs on UK campsites are going to make local authorities think about provision for parking, especially for those who do not want campsites. I do sense that some are starting to follow the likes of Canterbury, Dyffyd, Herefordshire and some others of allowing some MH overnight parking. Also some are starting to provide servicing facilities. Bravo.

If not, just park on the road to a campsite and say you are queuing till there is a space, just like queues for Glastonbury, Ascot, Grand Prix, Three Counties Show, etc.

Geoff

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
I know how you feel. We spend a significant amount of time up north and it will be our retirement home in the next 5-10 years. My daughter described not being able to go as a physical pain and she’s not far wrong. However, with me teaching full time I can’t work remotely and de amp up there. We’re lucky in that we have a friend who checks the house regularly but we’ve never left it for this long. And to top it all we’ve just got planning permission for building work but can’t get up there to move things out up let work begin.
I have a number of rental houses, and people are able to move in and out, people can buy and sell houses and move between Scotland and England, People go to work, and mix, and people have guests in their homes when they shouldn’t, I’ve not done any of that, and wish others wouldn’t, so I don’t see any harm in one contactless journey.

I can walk from home across fields and see the M1, and each day it’s a busy as ever in and out of London.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
we plan to rally when we can this year and malvern show booking carried over from last year. Will take it as it comes, as nothing we can do that will change anything that will or wont happen

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I can walk from home across fields and see the M1, and each day it’s a busy as ever in and out of London.
Totally agree with what you say.

However, just one thought...

I wonder if some of those folk driving to and from London at the moment would, before the pandemic, have been travelling / commutting by public transport?

We have a railway station in our village, which is on the line to Bristol and London Paddington. The recently enlarged car park would normally be overflowing with more than 100 vehicles. When I went past mid-morning today there were just 3.

Jun 17, 2019
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
One a newbie
I do think this lockdown is far worse mainly down to the fact it’s winter. I personally hate winter especially looking at the same 4 walls at least work has been busy but can’t wait for spring regardless of lockdown. I’ve booked 18 nights away 9 during whit week and 9 end of July. If I can go great .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back