Dometic RMDT 8505 - Not getting cold again! (1 Viewer)

Rob Baldwin

Free Member
Jun 11, 2018
Funster No
Hi I'm having a problem with my Dometic RMDT 8505 fridge freezer. Last week we travelled to campsite 1 - no problems Fridge/Freezer switched to 12v whilst travelling, on site plugged in to 240v again no problems. We moved to site 2 and the fridge/freezer worked whilst travelling again but once on site and plugged in to the mains, overnight we noticed the fridge and freezer had stopped cooling. I tried unplugging the mains, switching off, etc but the unit failed to cool. The motorhome was sited level. I switched to gas & the freezer section cooled overnight but the fridge failed to cool. This continued for 2 days, freezer froze but the fridge only seems to cool a small amount even after increasing the thermostat levels to five lights. Returning home and the unit switched to 12v again and both the freezer maintained frozen and the fridge did cool things done at an increased level.

On returning home I have switched the unit off waited 24hrs and doors open, fridge is at ambient temperature

Switched back on again mains voltage - 24 hrs later freezer frozen & fridge very cool temp setting on 4 led’s

Switched off waited 24hrs and doors open, fridge is at ambient temperature.

Repeated these steps switching from mains to gas every 48 hours and all ok until this weekend. The unit was on elec and Sun morning I have a HE1 error code. This is Heating Element number 1 but I have 265ohms & mains voltage when testing? any thoughts??

martinmonty

Free Member
Oct 16, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
most of the problems with these fridges is Outlet flu being blocked up. I had to take my fridge out to clean the flu out some vans you can access from the outside i cleaned the flu and it worked in used some wire wool and wire coat hanger if you are going to do this at the top of the flu is a spiral peice of metal be careful clean up around the gas jet I hope this help

OP
OP
R

Rob Baldwin

Free Member
Jun 11, 2018
Funster No
Cheers Monty - Presently for the whole lot out and turned upside down. I will check flue etc thanks. will report back

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
This is a common cause of Fridges not cooling and the solution is very simple. Put a piece of paper underneath the flue and make sure the burner assembly is pushed to the side and covered so the jet remains clean. Get ready for a sh*t load of soot !

martinmonty

Free Member
Oct 16, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Hi I don't think a good idea to turn the fridge upside down there are gases at the top which make the fridge work take the top of the flu off and clean the soot down be careful of spiral thing quite fragile if a lot of soot cames down it might be the problem best of luck martin

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
There is only one refrigerant circuit, it's the same pipe with one cooling fin attached to it in the fridge and one in the freezer.
Sounds like the refrigerant is not circulating so either a refrigerant leak or as Martin says burner/ flue problem.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back