Dogs (pets) on a Ferry experiences, do's, don'ts tips etc - short crossings, no cabin (1 Viewer)

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
As Eurotunnel prices seem to be ever increasing, i have noticed more people with dogs (pets) are looking for other viable alternatives. I know that if we still had our dog, we would definitely be looking for alternatives.

can anyone who has used a ferry service on a short crossing to take their animals 'abroad' post their experiences to give others an idea of how suitable it was, how pet friendly including what facilities were on board for your pet, where did you travel to/from, who with, were you 'inside' or on the outer decks?

it might give others the confidence to use a pet friendly ferry if they know what to expect?

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Always use Harwich to Hook of Holland crossing, 6 hours approx sailing and pets can stay in the MH. A good walk before getting to the ferry means our dog is comfortable. Good big green space after leaving harbour to stop for walkies.

Aug 6, 2018
Dorset
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
Since 2019
Our first ferry crossing with our dog was to the Outer Hebrides - we went for the shorter crossing from Skye. The dog stayed in the van and settled very comfortably and seemed completely unfazed. We did other short crossings between the islands and then back to the mainland - no problems. We've since done two trips between to France (Poole to Cherbourg -about four and a half hours). Again our dog stayed in the van and settled comfortably and was relaxed when we returned.
We avoid taking Coco out of the van during the crossings as she doesn't get on with all other dogs and it's less stressful for us all if she's comfortably in the van. Also, Brittany Ferries rules would make her wear a muzzle when outside the van and she wouldn't be comfortable with that.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We've used ferries of up to 5 hours duration and left the dog in the MH with no problems. A good walk beforehand, proper ventilation with water and a few treats and he's always been fine. Delighted to see us of course when we come back but he seems to treat it like sleeping at night and we always stop as soon as possible to let him out for toileting.

But he's always travelled, right from birth, so he's used to it.

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Done the Rotterdam and Cherbourg this year. No problem. Dog friendly cabin each time. We take a muzzle but have never been asked to put it on. Both ferries have very small dog walks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 17, 2012
merseyside
Funster No
MH
Murvi Pimento
Exp
Since 2015
My dog would be stressed, howl and bark if she was left in my motorhome on a crossing. As well as her being stressed she sets all other dogs off. She was expelled from doggie daycare for stressing all the other dogs out and making them all bark and howl!
Last year I travelled with P and O Dover to Calais in the pet lounge with her. It was a very pleasant crossing with a small outside area for toileting the dogs. I prefer the convenience of ET and also the ability to change my crossing times online but would definitely use the P and O pet lounge again if ET was a lot more expensive.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
We recently went from Holyhead to Dublin with the cat. On the way there, he stayed in the van. Litter tray, food, water. It was a smooth crossing. He seemed ok, but a little flustered.

On the way back it was a bit rougher. But we had a pet cabin. After exploring the room, he pretty much slept the whole way. I think we'd have him in the cabin if we had the choice.

Although we much prefer the speed and convenience of the tunnel.

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
We've now used the Dover Calais ferry with the pet lounge a number of times. In fact just came off it less than 2 hours ago. A bit rough today thanks to Storm Babet. Complimentary hot and cold drinks, pet exercise area, comfy seats. Makes a cost effective alternative to the tunnel.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
Fiat PVC
Exp
Since 1995
We have traveled with our dogs in our van no problem.
However on discussing staying in your van ( not allowed) but some people have, with our daughter.
She was a ships navigator , told us it’s a death sentence if the ship has a problem.
She explained that these hold areas are sealed as a flotation device to allow more time to evacuate the ship.
With this knowledge our 8 year old granddaughter got a bit upset to think that our pets in the vehicle would die.

Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
We have used P&O because of the pet lounge, which is brilliant! Wouldn't dream of leaving the dogs in the car or motorhome for a crossing, car alarms constantly going off. Because of the area we usually aim for in France it's Brittany Ferries we now use with pet friendly cabins. I found calling them and asking for a sailing with a pet cabin when we wanted to travel was easier as we can aim for any port in France they use from/to Portsmouth.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back